2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Man, this is just… all over the place. Nobody knows what’s going on.

I actually believe Levis over Anderson and Stroud. He seems like a Caserio type. Tough, played through injuries in a pro style offense and played in SEC. The negatives are surely there but Caserio has never been one to go with the masses.

5 hours ago, Blaze said:
6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I actually believe Levis over Anderson and Stroud. He seems like a Caserio type. Tough, played through injuries in a pro style offense and played in SEC. The negatives are surely there but Caserio has never been one to go with the masses.

He doesn’t seem like a Ryans guy, though - Ryans said he wants a QB who is accurate, smart, can read a defense and put the team in a position to be successful. Levis absolutely doesn’t check any of those boxes, and it’s pretty obvious when you watch him play. If this is truly Ryans’ team, he’s not drafting Levis with ANY pick, let alone 1.2; I actually expect Levis to go after Hendon Hooker, towards the end of the 1st round.

On that note - the scenario that’s been playing in my head lately has been Will Anderson at 2, then trade down for a team looking for a CB and picking Hooker in the late teens. (I also expect the Texans to be back in the QB market by 2025, as Hooker doesn’t amount to much with this current team).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You could very well be right about the talent level of the QBs, but I think it’s 100% obvious that the Texans don’t feel that way otherwise there’s no way we wouldn’t have signed a competent QB this off season. 

On the contrary a competent QB hurts your chances of Caleb or Maye. That is the exact opposite of what you'd do if you were holding out to try to land one of them

38 minutes ago, mse326 said:

On the contrary a competent QB hurts your chances of Caleb or Maye. That is the exact opposite of what you'd do if you were holding out to try to land one of them

Kinda like last year when we were tanking for Bryce - that went according to plan, right?

This narrative of teams intentionally tanking for QBs needs to die - specifically for the DeMeco Ryans’ led Texans. Do you think the hottest HC prospect last year turned down opportunities in Minnesota during last years’ cycle and Denver in this years’ cycle to intentionally go 1-16 his first year as a HC? This isn’t Culley or Lovie, this is a guy who could have landed literally any job in the NFL - he’s not taking one and then thinking “well, time to start my HC career by losing 16 in a row for a franchise that is notorious for one-and-done coaches…”

This thought process is a nothing more than Madden Franchise Mode fan fiction. I really wish people actually considered that losing games is perhaps the most damaging thing you can do to locker room culture and player development - you’re cutting your nose off to spite your face, you’re hypothetically getting a QB (assuming that someone isn’t worse than you - such as Chicago was last season) at the expense of the confidence and development of guys such as Stingley, Green, Pitre, Metchie, Pierce, Will Anderson and (insert the rest of the ‘23 class here). 

No QB is worth that price (especially a QB class that has one guy you’d take over the top two guys in this class).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Kinda like last year when we were tanking for Bryce - that went according to plan, right?

In the sense of the football gods' master plan, yes.  Brilliantly.

Deliberately?  In my experience, those of us who use the figure of speech "tanking" rarely credit the GM with enough intelligence to know he is tanking.

10 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

In the sense of the football gods' master plan, yes.  Brilliantly.

I’m talking the sense of the Texans - which literally blew up with :40 seconds left in the season. Lovie throwing up the double birds on his way out wasn’t part of the plan. 

Football gods are fickle deities, nobody knows their will until 3-5 years later. They just deemed Geno Smith worthy nearly 10 years after he was punched in the face by a teammate, so… you know, they givith and they taketh away.

10 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Deliberately?  In my experience, those of us who use the figure of speech "tanking" rarely credit the GM with enough intelligence to know he is tanking.

I’m specifically referencing this:

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

If it happens due to incompetence (which is questionable - you openly admit this off-season has actually been very positive in terms of what Caserio has done) then so be it. But - and let me be very clear - nobody is *holding out* to try to land anyone.

So, any suggestions as such just annoy me. There is a specific design here… and that design doesn’t include planning to hold out for a 2024 QB.

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

But - and let me be very clear - nobody is *holding out* to try to land anyone.

No.  That would be absurd on every level. 

Why assume/trust that a GM would not take a QB in Round #1 this year [with five starters available] and then suddenly acquire the aptitude and wherewithal to acquire one next year [when he'll probably be drafting much later]?  Or that we wouldn't have the same conversation next year?  Like "Groundhog Day".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yea, I think this is me going crazy but I’m warming up to the thought of Anthony Richardson - assuming Bryce is gone.

I wasn’t a AR guy last month, but after a lot of YouTube research and listening to people I respect, I’d rather us swing for the fences.

Florida’s offensive scheme and overall talent was horrible last year it looks more like AR did a hell of a job keeping them afloat. He has good pocket awareness, and I’m one foot in the camp that he can fix his accuracy issues 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

No.  That would be absurd on every level. 

Bingo. My new name for this is “Madden Franchise Mode fan fiction” because I used to do it all the time in Madden 06 - tank for QB Omar Jacobs out of Bowling Green (he was a beast in NCAA 06, best Sr QB in the game) draft Jeff Samardzjia with a 4th rounder, tank for Adrian Peterson the following year, draft Vernon Davis with a 2nd rounder, draft Ahmad Brooks and move him from MLB to RE (82 LB to 98 DE? Yes please!) tank for Haloti Ngata the year after that, draft Darnell Bing to play S/LB or CB - easy peasy 14-2 from there on out.

This is what you do before relocating your team to Mexico City in franchise mode or something.

22 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Why assume/trust that a GM would not take a QB in Round #1 this year [with five starters available] and then suddenly acquire the aptitude and wherewithal to acquire one next year [when he'll probably be drafting much later]?  Or that we wouldn't have the same conversation next year?  Like "Groundhog Day".

I’ve been asking this question from everyone who wants to punt on the ‘23 draft. I get not liking these QBs, but what promise is there that this team will be drafting high enough to get a top tier guy? If the Texans accidentally win 5-7 games and picking in the 8-15 range - are you content with passing on Stroud for Spencer Rattler or somebody?

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This narrative of teams intentionally tanking for QBs needs to die - specifically for the DeMeco Ryans’ led Texans. Do you think the hottest HC prospect last year turned down opportunities in Minnesota during last years’ cycle and Denver in this years’ cycle to intentionally go 1-16 his first year as a HC? This isn’t Culley or Lovie, this is a guy who could have landed literally any job in the NFL - he’s not taking one and then thinking “well, time to start my HC career by losing 16 in a row for a franchise that is notorious for one-and-done coaches…”

This thought process is a nothing more than Madden Franchise Mode fan fiction. I really wish people actually considered that losing games is perhaps the most damaging thing you can do to locker room culture and player development - you’re cutting your nose off to spite your face, you’re hypothetically getting a QB (assuming that someone isn’t worse than you - such as Chicago was last season) at the expense of the confidence and development of guys such as Stingley, Green, Pitre, Metchie, Pierce, Will Anderson and (insert the rest of the ‘23 class here). 

No QB is worth that price (especially a QB class that has one guy you’d take over the top two guys in this class).

The other thing to consider that furthers your point is will Caserio and others in the building be around if we do poorly enough to pick high again next year? DeMeco is fine, but can't imagine Nick and co would feel confident in their job security if we're picking first overall. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Yea, I think this is me going crazy but I’m warming up to the thought of Anthony Richardson - assuming Bryce is gone.

I wasn’t a AR guy last month, but after a lot of YouTube research and listening to people I respect, I’d rather us swing for the fences.

Florida’s offensive scheme and overall talent was horrible last year it looks more like AR did a hell of a job keeping them afloat. He has good pocket awareness, and I’m one foot in the camp that he can fix his accuracy issues 

See, I’m just… ugh, accuracy issues scare me, especially when you don’t see any mechanical flaw to correct that’ll improve accuracy. 

For all intents and purposes, Richardson has really good mechanics. Not GREAT, can use a bit of a tune-up, but not like updating his release point and extending his follow through to his torso is suddenly going to make him a 65%+ guy. Some guys just don’t see the field well, and I think AR15 is one of those guys.

This being said - he’d be an EXCITING prospect to follow to see his progression. It could completely bomb out, but if he ever learned to use his tools correctly… WOW. It would be must-see TV, he’d be very similar to Steve McNair as a weapon on offense.

1 hour ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Yeah same for me. He's my #2 choice if Bryce goes to CAR. The offense he was playing in wasn't friendly, it was a lot of all-or-nothing plays, which helped show his terrific accuracy throwing deep at least, but he wasn't throwing a lot of bubble screens inflating his completion percentage and you can see that in the film. He makes unbelievable throws. On top of his arm talent, Richardson is so athletic and everything you read about him makes it seem like he's a leader with great work ethic, so with good coaching you can see how he can be a special player. His stats aren't great but also having just watched what Dameon Pierce did this year, we can see how the UF coaching staff has underutilized their players before.

The other big thing for me is that he doesn't turn 21 until May, so 3 years younger than Levis and 4 years younger than Hooker. Levis and Hooker will also be projects for whichever teams take them, so if I'm selecting a QB who isn't ready, give me the guy who is 21 and didn't just tear his ACL or couldn't beat out Sean Clifford for the starting job. Also, this:

I'm not getting my hopes up though because it seems like the Texans aren't really interested in him, but if he was the pick at 2 I'd be happy and if they were able to trade down a little to grab him I would be ecstatic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

So yall arent a least bit worried the Titans or Colts might end up getting Stroud if we pass on him and potentially dominating us for the next 10+ years?

I mean, I’m worried. But I can’t do anything about decisions I’m not making, y’know?