2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If we don’t take a round 1 QB, then I’m betting on Davis Mills to beat out Keenum for the starting job. 

Right now, there are only two QBs on roster. I’m expecting a 3rd to join the fray - and unless there’s a play to trade for Mac Jones (barf) or Trey Lance (meh - depends on price) someone has to join sooner rather than later. 

The only plan that’s worse than Jones/Keenum/Mills is Keenum/Mills/Josh Johnson or something like that.

maybe year 3 with a better defense and better coaching will help him out. 

One of these days… people are going to look back and realize that Davis Mills is horrible at football. Seriously, Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage were better than him. 

I seriously don’t understand why we’re trying to squeeze blood from a stone on this one.

Hooker is a decent project but he’s also already 25, which means he’s got 10 years instead of 12-15. That’s not significant but it means he better be close to being ready to go from the jump. 

And here is the issue - Tennessee runs an offense that is incredibly non-pro friendly, it’s basically a souped up spread/read option that didn’t require Hooker to make multiple reads. On top of THAT, he’s still rehabbing from a torn ACL, and that’s one of a few injuries he’s had to deal with. 

Truth is, health alone is going to keep him on the sidelines until he’s 26. Acclimation to playing under C, getting his footwork down, throwing from inside the pocket, reading a defense pre and post snap? If you’re lucky and he picks those aspects up quickly, you’re hoping he’ll be 26-27 years old. Then he needs to acclimate to the speed of NFL defenses - hopefully 28?

There are so many variables that need to go absolutely right with Hooker - the odds of it happening in the middle of a reboot are pretty slim overall. Now, a team looking to bring a QB along slowly, a team with established players at all levels? They can make Hooker work, but that’s not this particular franchise. (I’m describing Minnesota and Seattle, actually).

if we got defense at pick 2, we might as well just commit and go D with 4 of our top 5 picks. We really need a C at some point. 

Hell, let Will Anderson play QB. Can’t be worse than Keenum or Mills.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There are so many variables that need to go absolutely right with Hooker - the odds of it happening in the middle of a reboot are pretty slim overall. 

Mind you - I like Hendon Hooker, felt as if he could have been top 10 material prior to the knee injury. But when you sit there and actually evaluate him, there’s a *lot* that can go wrong on the wrong team, and the right team has to be perfect in terms of growing him.

There is no room for errors with him and his development - if he falls behind with anything (film study, rehab, practice reps) it’ll be a while before you get him on track - and it’s likely you’ll never get him on track.

https://theathletic.com/4399152/2023/04/12/hendon-hooker-nfl-draft-film/?source=user_shared_article

In short, Hooker has intriguing traits and production, but he’ll be a very old draft pick coming off a major injury with a notable developmental curve.

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Nolan Smith feels like a combine warrior who is getting by on projected athleticism; I think he’s a good defender, but that 4.3 got him pushed up way beyond where he should go. I would be solid with him as a mid 2nd round or early 3rd round guy - he should be in similar conversations with guys like Will McDonald IV or Andre Carter II - but he ran real fast, so I guess he’s now top half of the draft? 

I personally don’t like it, but I don’t get paid to do this…

I don't see him as a traditional DE. I look at him and think "what could DeMeco do with a talent freak athlete in his defense"? Could he be our version of Micah Parsons? Might be optimistic, but I want to have some weapons on defense and let DeMeco have some fun. 

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

I don't see him as a traditional DE. I look at him and think "what could DeMeco do with a talent freak athlete in his defense"? Could he be our version of Micah Parsons? Might be optimistic, but I want to have some weapons on defense and let DeMeco have some fun. 

I’m good with him as a player - but at 12? That seems rich for my tastes. I’m also a bit more in tune with production over timed athleticism; I see a guy like Clemson LB Trenton Simpson as nearly an identical athlete, but much more disruptive on the field. If you want that proverbial chess piece, get the guy who produced at an elite level in college.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wonder what the cost would be to trade up from 12 to 5. Would it be worth taking Anderson at 2 and then trading back up for Levis or Richardson? 

San Fran traded up with Miami in 2021 for pick 3 and it costed them pick 12, 2 additional 1sts and and a 3rd rounder.  I would imagine something along the lines of pick 12, a 1st round pick next year and a 3rd this or next year could get it done.

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Im starting to think we will select Will Anderson at 2.  Just a gut feeling.  I dont really want to see another year of Mills as QB but it is what it is.

There's talk we might move up to #1. I don't like the idea of giving up future picks to move up, but the thought process is if Bryce is our guy and our franchise QB, go get him instead of waiting a year and potentially still having to trade picks or settling for someone else who we might not be sold on. 

• Like 2

The more I hear about the Texans not going with a QB with the second pick, the more I don’t believe it. If we were going to pass I have to believe that upper management would have tried much harder to grab a starting level QB in free agency. 

Doesnt really feel like a new era is starting if we have worst QB room in the league. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

There's talk we might move up to #1. I don't like the idea of giving up future picks to move up, but the thought process is if Bryce is our guy and our franchise QB, go get him instead of waiting a year and potentially still having to trade picks or settling for someone else who we might not be sold on. 

Would this mean the Panthers view Bryce and CJ equally, or are the Texans just getting finessed? 

34 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

I get the logic but I don't believe Carolina values Bryce and Stroud equally. The owner may want Bryce but a tie break could be made using the extra picks? 

Going from 2 to 1 would cost what?

Edit: I looked it up. It would cost a 2nd round pick. If it's next years first, that aint bad if you think BY is your guy. Trade back from 12 and you have gotten your 2nd back. 

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

This just… ugh, hate that it comes down to this. I love Bryce and CJ as prospects so I’m content staying at 2. But, if you like a guy… go get him, I guess.

Damn you, Lovie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Would this mean the Panthers view Bryce and CJ equally, or are the Texans just getting finessed? 

I’d almost venture to say it’s the Panthers trying to finesse. If they really had their eyes on a guy, they’re not entertaining a move after everything they gave up to get into this position to begin with. 

Could their opinion change between the trade and now? Yeah. But that doesn’t really position them to move out of the spot.

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-source-coach-demeco-ryans-pick-leaning-will-anderson-cj-stroud-draft-rumor-bryce-young?fbclid=IwAR34Iak0j-OQKFINdbHcUco7c_ImYgbmmxIDuOtseG6hHejHrv6cvoXrqJg&mibextid=kdkkhi

This is frustrating, because I DO like Anderson - but I also feel like going with any QB other than the top two guys will ensure the team will be essentially wasting this pick (for the sake of argument, we’ll say QB at 1.12) plus whatever picks are going to have to move to get a top QB (assuming other teams don’t need a QB those years, either). A lot of these hypothetical scenarios on getting the QB in 2024 or 2025 is looking at the Texans in a vacuum - the odds that other teams will be drafting a QB in those years is VERY high, so you’re essentially now competing for the guy you want vs sitting still and getting your guy now. In this case, the old saying is true - a bird in hand is worth two in a bush (a QB at 2 this year is worth a QB in 2024 that’ll cost multiple firsts).

I’d much rather pick a guy at QB now and find the edge rusher later then pass on QB now and yield multiple assets to get the QB later, y’know? I mean, am I alone in thinking that?