2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Kiper has us taking Stroud and Smith-Njigba in the first round. I will take that every day of the week. Best case in my opinion. 

Not best case, however, I can support if these two are together. QB2, WR1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Jeff Okudah was just traded for a 5th... he looked solid coming out of OSU... but couldn't stay on the field

He was also a mess on the field, too - got roasted regularly as a pro, even before his ankle blowout.

Change of scenery and scheme might serve him well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Not best case, however, I can support if these two are together. QB2, WR1. 

I’ll absolutely take it - Stroud is a guy who makes his WRs play above their pay grade, so I’d be expecting a bump in productivity from Nico Collins as well. 

What I've heard is we probably wouldn't take JSN at 12, but maybe if we trade back. Texans are high on Metchie still and feel they are a bit redundant in how they play. I would love Van Ness, but think he goes to Atlanta at #8. I could see it being Bijan or maybe a sleeper pick line Nolan Smith. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

What I've heard is we probably wouldn't take JSN at 12, but maybe if we trade back. Texans are high on Metchie still and feel they are a bit redundant in how they play. I would love Van Ness, but think he goes to Atlanta at #8. I could see it being Bijan or maybe a sleeper pick line Nolan Smith. 

Nolan Smith feels like a combine warrior who is getting by on projected athleticism; I think he’s a good defender, but that 4.3 got him pushed up way beyond where he should go. I would be solid with him as a mid 2nd round or early 3rd round guy - he should be in similar conversations with guys like Will McDonald IV or Andre Carter II - but he ran real fast, so I guess he’s now top half of the draft? 

I personally don’t like it, but I don’t get paid to do this…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Nolan Smith feels like a combine warrior who is getting by on projected athleticism; I think he’s a good defender, but that 4.3 got him pushed up way beyond where he should go. I would be solid with him as a mid 2nd round or early 3rd round guy - he should be in similar conversations with guys like Will McDonald IV or Andre Carter II - but he ran real fast, so I guess he’s now top half of the draft? 

I personally don’t like it, but I don’t get paid to do this…

I co-sign most of this... if we stick to our guns and get QB at 2,  Andre Carter II in the 3rd or 4th would be fine with me.

Plus he is from Sugar Land! I know he didn't go to Kempner, but that's ok.

• Like 1

I didn't watch the stream, so I'm not sure whether or not this is a hunch or he's basing it off of something he's heard, but if Stroud isn't QB2 on the Texans' board, I wonder who is. They've had top 30 visits with Stroud, Hooker, and Levis already and this week they'll have Bryce in. I don't think one with Richardson has been reported yet.

52 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

This has been my thought if/when we go defense or trade back 

*shrug*

I’m preparing myself to be disappointed.

(Or - better stated - I’m going to start working on the mental gymnastics to justify Hendon Hooker or Anthony Richardson. No to Will Levis - no amount of gymnastics will justify that pick for me).

How I'm looking at it now..

If anyone other than Bryce Young goes #1, we take Bryce Young at #2.

If Bryce Young goes #1, I'm starting to believe that the most likely scenario is between trading #2 and drafting Tyree Wilson. If we can trade #2 for anything close to what Carolina got for #1, assuming Young is off the board, I'm a happy camper. That's probably my favorite non Bryce Young scenario. Wilson seems like the safe bet, and at a position of need. I probably need to watch some more Stroud. I dono. That is all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

*shrug*

I’m preparing myself to be disappointed.

(Or - better stated - I’m going to start working on the mental gymnastics to justify Hendon Hooker or Anthony Richardson. No to Will Levis - no amount of gymnastics will justify that pick for me).

I'm preparing myself for the Texans to overthink all of this. 

• Like 1

If we don’t take a round 1 QB, then I’m betting on Davis Mills to beat out Keenum for the starting job. 

maybe year 3 with a better defense and better coaching will help him out. 

Hooker is a decent project but he’s also already 25, which means he’s got 10 years instead of 12-15. That’s not significant but it means he better be close to being ready to go from the jump. 

if we got defense at pick 2, we might as well just commit and go D with 4 of our top 5 picks. We really need a C at some point. 

Like I said earlier I wouldnt be "pissed" if Anderson the pick at 2 but I'm worried that either the Colts or Titans will end up with Stroud (assuming Young goes 1) and he will destroy us for the next 10+ years.  People are delusional thinking they should wait till next year and draft Caleb Williams.  It's not even a guarantee we will be bad enough to select him.  Plus you have to factor in a TON of teams will be looking to try and get him if he is in fact this cant miss QB prospect.  I have a feeling Texans gonna do something stupid come the 27th.

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1