2023 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/houston-texans-source-coach-demeco-ryans-pick-leaning-will-anderson-cj-stroud-draft-rumor-bryce-young?fbclid=IwAR34Iak0j-OQKFINdbHcUco7c_ImYgbmmxIDuOtseG6hHejHrv6cvoXrqJg&mibextid=kdkkhi

This is frustrating, because I DO like Anderson - but I also feel like going with any QB other than the top two guys will ensure the team will be essentially wasting this pick (for the sake of argument, we’ll say QB at 1.12) plus whatever picks are going to have to move to get a top QB (assuming other teams don’t need a QB those years, either). A lot of these hypothetical scenarios on getting the QB in 2024 or 2025 is looking at the Texans in a vacuum - the odds that other teams will be drafting a QB in those years is VERY high, so you’re essentially now competing for the guy you want vs sitting still and getting your guy now. In this case, the old saying is true - a bird in hand is worth two in a bush (a QB at 2 this year is worth a QB in 2024 that’ll cost multiple firsts).

I’d much rather pick a guy at QB now and find the edge rusher later then pass on QB now and yield multiple assets to get the QB later, y’know? I mean, am I alone in thinking that?

It's more so of I can see 2 teams trading up with Arizona to take Stroud at 3.  Both those 2 teams are in our division (Indy and Tennessee).  That would suck big time if Stroud ended up with them and he owns us for the next 10+ years. 

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 6:24 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

If we don’t take a round 1 QB--

Ahem. 

Here's a fun factoid:  Thanks to a decent performance in free agency, if we add up the ratings of all the starters we see that Houston--yes, Houston-- has quietly slipped into first place in the albeit soft AFC-South (12th overall).  (Indeed, only Tennessee is close and they are in freefall.)

The catch is that this aggregate total isn't weighted and the Texans have gaping holes at four of the most important positions:  QB, WR1, DE, and the "QB of the defense":  FS.  #1 in draft capital, the Texans should be able to fill all four potholes (plus Center, a fifth sore spot) before the end of Round #3. 

Narrowing the omega-to-alpha gap between Davis Mills and Trevor Lawrence is paramount to winning the weak AFC-South.  IMHO, not taking Young or Stroud at #2 would be malpractice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I dont have a problem with it either even though it's sort of bad timing.  I just hope Caserio dont screw us with the selections if he is in fact leaving lol

THIS is what worries me. We saw what Lovie did on his way out, what would Caserio do?

16 hours ago, ET80 said:

Well the last time the Texans tried to poach an executive from a successful team, after the draft, tampering charges were filed against them. 

It seems ludicrous that the same thing would happen again, but it is Cal. I’d just hope that they’d be smart enough to keep it in house better than this.

Glass half full take - all these rumors are just smoke screens to get the Panthers to stop acting like they want Bryce and the Texans can get their top guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Dont think I’ve ever been this anxious for a draft, I’m constantly giving myself pep talks about how it’s all BS and they just need the clicks bc of the off-season.

You and me both, fam! Not sure what I’m going to do with this anxious energy between now and the draft…

47 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Just draft Anderson and move from 12 to 3 to get our QB 

I did that in TCMD mock draft (Anderson @ 2 & Stroud @ 3).

1-12 + 2024 1st + 3-73 says it is possible via Trade Value calculator

The problem is if Indy, SEA, LV, ATL, or TN wants to move up as well - especially LV or ATL. 

I think we should trade 1.2, I think it's why all of this speculative talk is getting leaked and all these rumblings are starting. I think we're trying to perk up the ears of QB needy teams, and to let them know that we are open for business. It is possible that we could get a Watson trade type of haul for 1.2. I think we at least want all of  the offers on the table with time to consider the different scenarios well before draft night, and I think they're probably already receiving calls and will continue to receive calls, and could potentially benefit from a bidding war. If we can get two 1s, a 2 and a 3, or two 1s and two 2s, or a 1 and three 2s, or something like that, that sounds pretty good to me. If we're being realistic, we're not going to the super bowl this year. We're probably not going next year either. These picks are about opening up a super bowl window a few years from now. I feel like we can set ourselves up to be ready for a legitimate run in 2025 thru 2027 and beyond if we maximize the value of our draft capital. This year is just about being a bit more competitive and developing the young players, installing the systems, and things like that in my opinion. Next year (2024) I think it's reasonable to expect that we could be competing for the AFC South Championship, and I think the year after that is probably the earliest we could possibly be talking about some finishing touches to our roster that we'll need in order to win playoff games against the Chiefs and the Bills and the Bengals of the world. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The first rounders are five year commitments. We have to be thinking long term, and see the forest through the trees. We need as many of the best players that we can get our hands on in my opinion. 

2020 Season: Man, that freshman at Alabama, Will Anderson? He’s really good, wow, keep an eye on him.

2021 Season: Will Anderson might be the best player Nick Saban ever coached - let that sink in, he’s THAT good.

2022 SeasonWill Anderson might be the best Alabama OLB since Derrick Thomas! He’s probably the best defensive player to come out since Nick Bosa!

2023 Combine: Will Anderson measures out at a similar size as Von Miller and Demarcus Ware …and has better athleticism as both! So literally the only concern on the guy is pretty much a non-starter!

April 2023, two weeks before the draft: …y’know, Tyree Wilson might be the safer pick

For the love of ScarJo, somebody make this make sense to me. Why are people even thinking Tyree Wilson is a better selection than a guy who has basically been a top 5 pick since he was 20!?

I still want one of the top two QBs. Let’s be very, very clear about that. But… if you’re not picking QB that high, you are 100% taking Will Anderson. Any suggestion that is not Will Anderson needs to be explained, because Tyree Wilson is NOT a better prospect in any capacity.

• Like 1