2023 Draft Talk

swede700

The Panthers presumably traded up to No. 1 overall to get their choice of quarterbacks. The last time — and only time — they drafted No. 1 overall they ended up with Cam Newton, who won MVP honors in 2015.

At No. 1, they would have Alabama’s Bryce Young, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, Florida’s Anthony Richardson or Kentucky’s Will Levis available to them.

But not so fast. . . .

The Panthers quickly got out word to their local writers that they could trade back. Scott Fowler of the Charlotte Observer and Joe Person of TheAthletic.com had nearly identical tweets: The Panthers feel they now “control” the draft, and they are not discounting backing up in the draft to recoup some of the compensation they lost if they have a couple of quarterbacks they like.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/10/panthers-get-word-out-that-they-could-trade-back-from-no-1/

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

You  don’t trade up to one too then trade back afterwards. They know which qb they are taking already. 

Especially giving up a talented player like Moore in the process. Unless they didn’t think he was part of the future for some reason. 

I've been wrestling with some ideas on this upcoming draft.  Boiling it down, I think the offense is in ok shape -- depending on whether Brian O'Neill comes back totally healthy.  I think Cook is tradable (and I'd definitely consider the 4th if his attitude becomes problematic and consider his health record), but if he remains with the team because of other moves, I'm good with that too.  Cutting Adam hurts a bit, but that's why you have WR depth and can pick up a pretty good one in mid-late rounds (Pro-days have the gems for this . . . see Marques Colston, Kenny Golladay and Michael Strachan). TE seems good, but there's a really big drop-off if TJ got seriously injured.

The defense is a mess . . . 

The biggest chip the Vikes have is Danielle Hunter, in my opinion.  Averages 10+ sacks a year, only turning 28, and he's a beast . . . and next year, he'll command a top salary (not extending Kirk could help off-set that, but there's JJ . . .).  If they keep Z. Smith and elevate Patrick Jones with Wonnum, Willekes and Vilain as depth, the team is probably OK at the 3-4 OLB position.  So, my gut-wrenching proposal would be to trade Hunter to Houston for their 2nd (#33 overall) and their 4th (#104).  

My initial post-combine/pre-FA mock would then be:

1.  Rd 1, #23 - Joey Porter II, CB, Penn St . . . if he lasts this long.  Optional choice is Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

2. Rd 2, #33 - Ade Adebawore, 5T, Northwestern . . . 82" wings, 282 lbs, 4.49 with a 1.61 split.  Gervon Dexter, Calijah Kancey as alternates.

3. Rd 3, #87 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa . . . probably wishful thinking he'll last this long.  Daiyan Henley and Dorian Williams would be good alternates . . . dark horse - Hendon Hooker

4. Rd 4, #104 - Steve Avila, C, TCU -- especially if Bradbury is gone.

5.  Rd 4, #119 - Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane . . . dark horse - Stetson Bennett

6.  Rd 5, #158 - Riley Moss, CB, Iowa . . . alternate could be Matt Landers, WR, Arkansas

7.  Rd 6, #211 - Nick Saldiveri, OG/OT . . . alternate Mo Ibrahim, RB, MN or Hunter Luepke, FB/RB, NDSU 

All the preceding speculation goes out the window once the clock starts ticking with Carolina.😅  I hope the Vikes get 3 or 4 truly high-quality starters and some great depth for the roster. 

I could see them taking a shot at Nolan Smith with #23 and plugging him in next to Asamoah . . . that'd be two twitchy, rangy LBs on the interior . . . but then they could flip outside when you need the big boys at the A-gap.  Finally, if Mazi Smith blows-up his pro-day, I'd be all for his being drafted as high as #23 . . . oh, the shuffling of the deck at that point!  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I've been wrestling with some ideas on this upcoming draft.  Boiling it down, I think the offense is in ok shape -- depending on whether Brian O'Neill comes back totally healthy.  I think Cook is tradable (and I'd definitely consider the 4th if his attitude becomes problematic and consider his health record), but if he remains with the team because of other moves, I'm good with that too.  Cutting Adam hurts a bit, but that's why you have WR depth and can pick up a pretty good one in mid-late rounds (Pro-days have the gems for this . . . see Marques Colston, Kenny Golladay and Michael Strachan). TE seems good, but there's a really big drop-off if TJ got seriously injured.

The defense is a mess . . . 

The biggest chip the Vikes have is Danielle Hunter, in my opinion.  Averages 10+ sacks a year, only turning 28, and he's a beast . . . and next year, he'll command a top salary (not extending Kirk could help off-set that, but there's JJ . . .).  If they keep Z. Smith and elevate Patrick Jones with Wonnum, Willekes and Vilain as depth, the team is probably OK at the 3-4 OLB position.  So, my gut-wrenching proposal would be to trade Hunter to Houston for their 2nd (#33 overall) and their 4th (#104).  

My initial post-combine/pre-FA mock would then be:

1.  Rd 1, #23 - Joey Porter II, CB, Penn St . . . if he lasts this long.  Optional choice is Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

2. Rd 2, #33 - Ade Adebawore, 5T, Northwestern . . . 82" wings, 282 lbs, 4.49 with a 1.61 split.  Gervon Dexter, Calijah Kancey as alternates.

3. Rd 3, #87 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa . . . probably wishful thinking he'll last this long.  Daiyan Henley and Dorian Williams would be good alternates . . . dark horse - Hendon Hooker

4. Rd 4, #104 - Steve Avila, C, TCU -- especially if Bradbury is gone.

5.  Rd 4, #119 - Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane . . . dark horse - Stetson Bennett

6.  Rd 5, #158 - Riley Moss, CB, Iowa . . . alternate could be Matt Landers, WR, Arkansas

7.  Rd 6, #211 - Nick Saldiveri, OG/OT . . . alternate Mo Ibrahim, RB, MN or Hunter Luepke, FB/RB, NDSU 

All the preceding speculation goes out the window once the clock starts ticking with Carolina.😅  I hope the Vikes get 3 or 4 truly high-quality starters and some great depth for the roster. 

I could see them taking a shot at Nolan Smith with #23 and plugging him in next to Asamoah . . . that'd be two twitchy, rangy LBs on the interior . . . but then they could flip outside when you need the big boys at the A-gap.  Finally, if Mazi Smith blows-up his pro-day, I'd be all for his being drafted as high as #23 . . . oh, the shuffling of the deck at that point!  

Against my heart, I'd make that trade. I'd be very happy with this draft

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'd have to believe that Carolina is going to take Stroud at #1.  He just seems like the ideal QB for the Panthers.

I think it’s Richardson. I don’t think they give the haul they gave if they aren’t going for a generational talent type of guy. If Richardson hits, he’s the only one that fits the bill. 

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think it’s Richardson. I don’t think they give the haul they gave if they aren’t going for a generational talent type of guy. If Richardson hits, he’s the only one that fits the bill. 

If they do pick him instead then they are making a tremendous mistake, because he's not a guy who should be starting Year 1.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If they do pick him instead then they are making a tremendous mistake, because he's not a guy who should be starting Year 1.

Just because they pick him #1 doesn’t mean they’ll have to start him year one. There are lots of bridge options on the market. The Panthers aren’t contending next season anyway. Josh Allen also shouldn’t have started his first year, but it shows that if your coaching staff is competent and patient, it can be a good thing. 

Personally, I’d want him to sit a year too. And if I think he’s going to be that good, I’m not worried about him not contributing this season. 

• Like 1