2023 Draft Talk

swede700

On 3/17/2023 at 12:56 PM, wcblack34 said:

Man, did people act like this when Chad Greenway tore his ACL in his first season?

Oh yes. And like most people were mad we didn’t take a different LB in the draft. Also plenty of people that still wanted Laurence Maroney to pair up with Chester Taylor. 

How much different would have the franchise looked like if we drafted Maroney and then instead of AP we selected Patrick Willis the following year?

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Oh yes. And like most people were mad we didn’t take a different LB in the draft. Also plenty of people that still wanted Laurence Maroney to pair up with Chester Taylor. 

How much different would have the franchise looked like if we drafted Maroney and then instead of AP we selected Patrick Willis the following year?

They should have picked Willis, regardless. 

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I'm pretty sure probably most thought they should have taken Manny Lawson instead, and yeah I bet Maroney was popular. I probably would have favored Maroney just because it would have been great to keep him in town.  Fortunately they didn't, however, since his career was so brief.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Probably. I mean I don’t think anyone was all that upset about the AP pick either. If he would have been a dud I could actually argue that. 

I don’t think any one is complaining, necessarily. 

But AP was drafted to sell jerseys and tickets. I think the Vikings would have been a better team, and had more success overall, had they drafted Willis or Revis over AP. 

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I’m not a big fan of metrics and measurements, even though that’s pretty impressive. Many athletes test well but can’t play. The fact that he shut down Marvin Harrison Jr. last year makes me like him much more than any combine test can. This guy is the real deal. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think any one is complaining, necessarily. 

But AP was drafted to sell jerseys and tickets. I think the Vikings would have been a better team, and had more success overall, had they drafted Willis or Revis over AP. 

Yeah, right. You don't actually believe that, do you? Why wouldn't they have just drafted Brady Quinn if they wanted to do that? At the time, he was a rock star, pretty boy franchise QB that the average fan viewed as a top 5 or top 10 pick, and a "sure thing."  But why did they pass on him if all they wanted to do was sell tickets?

Willis is an all-timer, but AP carried some god awful Vikings teams on his back for many years and made them even watchable, especially during the Ponder years. There is a 0% chance Willis or Revis could have single-handedly carried us like Peterson did. 

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Everything I can find says he's under contract for next season.

https://www.vikings.com/news/blake-brandel-signed-exlusive-rights-free-agent#:~:text=EAGAN%2C Minn.,in 22 games since 2021.

Is your A-F ranking based on how you view needs or just your thoughts on the position groups?

The list is what I see as somewhat prioritized options for the draft as FA has evolved.  

I realize some fans want a WR, or one of 4 QBs, if one falls.   For me, absolutely not -- use #23 on a defensive player who starts, and God-willing, stays healthy.

I also think Kwesi and Co. are still wheelin'-n-dealin'!   Trades to be made . . . Oh the surprises which await😁

• Like 1

New Kiper Mock 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35898637/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-post-free-agency-first-round-predictions-31-picks-third-version

23. Minnesota Vikings

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

I'm switching gears a bit for the Vikings, as I had projected a cornerback here in my first two mock drafts. They could still go that way, as adding Byron Murphy helps fill their immediate hole. At receiver, though, with Adam Thielen gone, I love the idea of Johnston playing on the other side of Justin Jefferson, helping take defensive backs away. The 6-foot-3 Johnston will be an immediate red zone threat in the NFL, and his skills after the catch mean he will break a bunch of tackles and score long touchdowns. I know K.J. Osborn has earned a bigger role in the Minnesota offense, but there's room for Johnston too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, swede700 said:

Someone's not fond of Levis...

I feel like Will Levis is in that over analyzed stage of the media scouting process. Where every small mistake is amplified to a major fault. 

Edited by SemperFeist