2023 Draft Talk

swede700

6 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

According to SKOR North’s Darren Wolfson, the Vikings are hosting Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee on a top-30 visit.

McKee is a very unique prospect to evaluate. At 23, McKee served a Mormon mission before attending Stanford where he started for two seasons once Davis Mills went to the NFL. A very similar build and style, McKee is a prototypical pocket passer with great touch and accuracy. He isn’t going to beat you with his legs, but his arm will crush you.

The unique part about his evaluation is that he played at Stanford. The Cardinals had an atrocious scheme and the offense played poorly because of it. Extrapolating all of that makes things difficult, but make no mistake. McKee can throw a football.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/11/vikings-nfl-draft-top-30-tanner-mckee/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0i_GEBabdCK10shPxtX52cTMKVrrx0ACJwBV8TwLfOCKq4nbxE6bvkKt8

Am I the only one who thinks that the Vikings are really playing it close to the vest this year about the players they're interested in this year? 

The leaks about top-30 visits have been really slim, and appear to be for later on potential picks like Tanner McKee and Evan Hull. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the Vikings are really playing it close to the vest this year about the players they're interested in this year? 

The leaks about top-30 visits have been really slim, and appear to be for later on potential picks like Tanner McKee and Evan Hull. 

Definitedly not. I think if Skoronski falls the Vikings take him & move him to guard.  Curious what Cleveland could net in a return for a team looking for a LT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Yes. Which is why I do think there is a plan to trade up for one of the top 4 QBs (I personally think they like Levis). Whether they can find a pathway to execute that plan is yet to be seen. 

But it should make the draft entertaining. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Yes. Which is why I do think there is a plan to trade up for one of the top 4 QBs (I personally think they like Levis). Whether they can find a pathway to execute that plan is yet to be seen. 

But it should make the draft entertaining. 

I think/hope we are putting together a strategy to grab a “top 3” QB, then trade Cook & Z Smith for direct trade capital

Vikings need to really trade back into the 2nd and ideally get two 2nd rounders.  Could be awesome to get a edge player with Hunter and Wonnum free agents in 2024, Davenport a free agent as well and I assume Z. Smith is gone this year.  Then get a CB and there would be plenty to pick from.  Also could maybe get a ILB or a WR if those other spots or gone or a big time NT and there would be three to pick from possibly.  Could get some great value for edge rushers and NTs and CBs.

OLB/Edge
Isaiah Foskey Notre Dame RS JR OLB/DE
Byron Young Tennessee SR DE/OLB
Andre Carter II Army JR DE/OLB
BJ Ojulari LSU JR OLB/DE
Will McDonald IV Iowa State RS SR OLB
Derick Hall Auburn SR DE/OLB

Jumbo Edge or 3/4 DE
Tuli Tuipuloutu USC JR DT/DE
Adetomiwa Adebawore Northwestern SR DE/DT

CB slot or boundary
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR CB/S
Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH CB
Emmanuel Forbes Miss State JR CB
Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH CB
Jartavius Martin Illinois SR S/CB SR S
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR S/CB
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU SR CB
Cam Smith South Carolina JR CB

NT or power DE
Mazi Smith Michigan SR NT
Siaki Ika Baylor RS JR NT
Keeanu Benton Wisconsin JR NT

ILB
Jack Campbell Iowa SR ILB
Drew Sanders Arkansas JR OLB
Trenton Simpson Clemson JR OLB
DeMarvion Overshown Texas RS SR LB

WR
Quentin Johnston TCU JR WR
Zay Flowers Boston College SR WR
Jalin Hyatt Tennessee JR WR
AT Perry Wake Forest RS JR WR
Marvin Mims Oklahoma JR WR

Sure some of these guys could be 1st rounders but maybe should be around possibly in the 2nd.  

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think/hope we are putting together a strategy to grab a “top 3” QB, then trade Cook & Z Smith for direct trade capital

Not sure it is worth it because the difference between Stroud/Young and everyone else is pretty massive.  So unless it is a top 2 QB it is not really a good idea.  Not to mention a former #3 overall pick was traded for a 5th rounder, sure he is not as proven but at best they could get a 2nd rounder for those guys but most likely it is a 3rd or 4th rounder....

Richardson and Levis are athletically gifted but I would be shocked if either one is better than Stroud or Young in the NFL, same with Hooker who is solid but does not have a huge upside.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure it is worth it because the difference between Stroud/Young and everyone else is pretty massive.  So unless it is a top 2 QB it is not really a good idea.  Not to mention a former #3 overall pick was traded for a 5th rounder, sure he is not as proven but at best they could get a 2nd rounder for those guys but most likely it is a 3rd or 4th rounder....

Richardson and Levis are athletically gifted but I would be shocked if either one is better than Stroud or Young in the NFL, same with Hooker who is solid but does not have a huge upside.  

What a pointless connection about trading a #3 pick for a 5th rounder. Maybe we should trade #23 for a 5th rounder too 

12 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

What a pointless connection about trading a #3 pick for a 5th rounder. Maybe we should trade #23 for a 5th rounder too 

Pointless?  How about no, it is the fact that NFL trades are **** and rarely do you get back equal compensation or quality picks unless you are trading a top 10 QB.

Dallas got Brandin Cooks for a 5th and a 6th rounder.  

Cleveland traded for Elijah Moore from the Jets and gave up a 2nd round pick but the Jets gave up Moore and a 3rd rounder to get that 2nd rounder.   

Hockenson last year the Vikings got for a 2nd round pick, got Hockenson and a 4th rounder from Detroit which I still do not get but obviously 2nd round picks much less 1st rounders rarely are involved in players outside of top end QBs.

For Carolina to trade up and get a top QB prospect and #1 overall, they gave the Bears the 9th pick overall, 61st pick, then a 2024 1st rounder, and a 2025 2nd rounder and DJ Moore a promising young WR who had over 5000 yards receiving in his first five years in the NFL.

Maybe Vikings can get a lot for Z. Smith or Cook but I doubt it.  Either way once more, to dream a guy like Levis or Richardson is on par with the other top QBs in this draft, well they are not and probably not worth trading a crap ton of future 1st rounders away to get.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

So, you're ready to trade two pro-bowlers and a 1st round pick for a super high risk QB?   I don't give two . . . . about their physical gifts if their brains and hearts don't match the price.   Of Richardson and Levis, the former is atleast likable but he had some real dud film.   Levis is a train wreck in waiting.   

So no, never give up those kinds of resources without an opportunity to improve the team . . . I.e.:  sure, trade Cook for a 3rd, if you can get that.   Then fill that pick with a body.   The only trade to #3 overall I'd see worthwhile is Hunter and #23, plus next year's 2nd or 3rd so we could get Will Anderson, and even that's not a sure bet.

18 hours ago, Boda said:

Definitedly not. I think if Skoronski falls the Vikings take him & move him to guard.  Curious what Cleveland could net in a return for a team looking for a LT

Nothing. Because he's never played there in the pros. And he hasn't been great at guard. And he needs a new contract. At best, you could hope for a sixth or a swap for another similar player at a different position. 

17 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Nothing. Because he's never played there in the pros. And he hasn't been great at guard. And he needs a new contract. At best, you could hope for a sixth or a swap for another similar player at a different position. 

Cleveland was a very good guard last year until Bradbury went down.  He's definitely not a LT though.  

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Cleveland was a very good guard last year until Bradbury went down.  He's definitely not a LT though.  

He wasn't that good. Even before Bradbury got hurt. Good run blocker, pretty bad pass blocker.