Realistic Expectations

Bigbear72

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Like DBB they could be wrong but this is exactly what you want to hear about a second year QB in a new scheme.

Agreed. Leading by example can be so much more effective than with words. Hard work is infectious when the guy doing it is also the most talented guy in the room. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. Leading by example can be so much more effective than with words. Hard work is infectious when the guy doing it is also the most talented guy in the room. 

These are the things that the FO/Staff will be looking at in Fields progression for 2022.

Not a meaningless W/L record, or what stats he puts up. Its about growth and leadership, coachability and commitment, and most importantly maturity.

They know he has the talent and tools to be a Franchise QB. They need to make sure he has the makeup of one before they commit all the upcoming assets to him, because building a roster around a Young Franchise QB looks alot different than if you still need to find one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

ESPN has us dead last in league in this power ranking.

I can't see a single argument for anyone thinking we aren't better than the Falcons...also the Lions above the 49ers? Yeah not sure we can take this seriously.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I can't see a single argument for anyone thinking we aren't better than the Falcons...also the Lions above the 49ers? Yeah not sure we can take this seriously.

Their method is predicated on QBR which is a good enough reason alone to not take it serious. This is the same weird formula that swears David Garrads 2007 season was the 7th best in history and Mitch was the 3rd best QB in the league in 2018.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Their method is predicated on QBR which is a good enough reason alone to not take it serious. This is the same weird formula that swears David Garrads 2007 season was the 7th best in history and Mitch was the 3rd best QB in the league in 2018.

It’s on QBR… but they have the Bengals 16th? Was QBR that low on Burrow?? 

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s on QBR… but they have the Bengals 16th? Was QBR that low on Burrow?? 

I have no idea what the formula is doing and I bet the ESPN staff doesn't either which is probably why they change it every year. So much of their forecast model is just straight up illogical and it all starts with QBR.

If you watch enough football you don't need some calculated formula to make an honest prediction. Hell, last May I went through each individual game to make predictions for every team and 23 out of 32 was within 2 games and 16 within 1 game and I didn't need some program to do it either.

Honestly, with next year's QB crop I would be ecstatic with a top 4 pick. The ability to make a trade down would be a lot easier than it was for this year and the haul would be much better. I'm not sure we will be in the bottom 4 but I would whine about it if we were. My expectations after this year will be quite different though.

Edited by Bigbear72

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It's easy to say we are better than the likes of Houston or the Falcons but one team I can't understand being higher than us are the Seahawks...their plan after losing some all time leaders in Wilson & Wagner is Drew Lock...at this point I would slot us in the low 20s - high teens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Honestly, with next year's QB crop I would be ecstatic with a top 4 pick. The ability to make a trade down would be a lot easier than it was for this year and the haul would be much better. I'm not sure we will be in the bottom 4 but I would whine about it if we were. My expectations after this year will be quite different though.

That would be franchise changing to have a top pick with a coveted QB sitting there and many QB hungry teams.

Bears will win enough to keep that from happening though. 

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's easy to say we are better than the likes of Houston or the Falcons but one team I can't understand being higher than us are the Seahawks...their plan after losing some all time leaders in Wilson & Wagner is Drew Lock...at this point I would slot us in the low 20s - high teens.

Make your list of preseason power rankings.  I am interested to see where you put the Bears.

23 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  I haven't put together a power ranking list but I did go thru each game for each team and if I were to put a rankings list together based off that then I have the Bears at 23.  11th in the conference ahead of DET, NYG, SEA, ATL, CAR --in that order.  Also ahead of JAX, NYJ, HOU in the AFC.

I think the Steelers are an 8 win team but that's more of a reflection of their schedule than it is on the team. The own the Ravens every year but Bengals own them. They usually split with Cleveland. They get the Jets at home. Then MIA (who will be coming off traveling to Cincy, then NY, then MIA, and back to PIT). Then @PHI which they lose. The Saints at home. At ATL and CAR. 

The NFC is top heavy but very weak at the bottom while the AFC looks brutal. We may see two 10 win teams miss the playoffs in the AFC this year.