The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Under no circumstances would I trade away our first when Caleb Williams and Drake Maye will be in the draft. 

Exactly, if anything trade back and stack assets for ‘24. Ideally we’d be in a better position roster wise to be able to make a move like that. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Marz_LVR said:

Assuming next years draft slot won’t be as high as 7, it’s probably safe to assume this is the the cheapest it’ll get to move up, right? If DZ is bought into AR then I believe they (the organization) are confident they have the coaches & plan to develop him. I like the fact that DZ seems to be a relatable guy. He’s said he’s close with D. Adams so that tells me he at least tries to connect with players & he’s got some drip... which is good for appearances🤣 Wish I could say the same for his boy JMD, dude got 0 drip & is uninspiring. 

I think you can look at it two ways: 

1. It’s likely the cheapest opportunity you’ll have to move up, you have a bridge guy that allows you to be patient for a year or two, and you can do it while your job is safe.

2. You commit to building the rest of the roster this draft , trust Jimmy can be the guy for at least a year and then you ideally put yourself in a position to pay more to move up I’d you have too because you’ve filled key holes and have some good core young players in place. 

Everyone situation is different but I’d guess that the teams who have built their cores and then went QB have had more success then the teams that went QB and then tried to build the team. 

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Exactly, if anything trade back and stack assets for ‘24. Ideally we’d be in a better position roster wise to be able to make a move like that. 

The 49ers traded away those 3 firsts for Lance and the Dolphins were able to turn those picks into Tyreek, Chubb, and Waddle.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Chandler has also always been a 3-4 OLB type of player though and we forced him to play 4-3 DE. So it will be interesting to see if they go after more of a 3-4 or a 4-3 type of edge.

Still Chandler has the size to play 4-3 DE and can play the run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

A lot of people are sleeping on D. Hall from Auburn and i don't know why.  I am not saying he is worth the 7th pick however if he is there in the 2nd round he needs to strongly be considered.  I see a ton of mocks and he is going in the late 2nd, early 3rd.  If he is there in the 3rd we need to run to the podium.  

D. Hall is a guy that fits Grahams defense and would take Chandlers job next year.

• Like 1

I think this is a great time to trade up for the QB they love. 

Use this season for the QB to learn and gain some experience towards the end of the season if we don’t end up being a playoff team and go into the following season with over 80 million in cap space and ready to spend and fill out the roster with talent and be able to take advantage of the rookie QB salary over the next 3 years. 

• Like 1

A lot of smoke about the Seahawks wanting Richardson. That’ll probably drive the price of the 3rd pick ups if we both offer similar packages they’ll have to weigh: allow our division rival to potentially secure a franchise QB but ensuring they still land Anderson. Or move down a couple more spots while ensuring Seattle doesn’t get a top 4 QB while also probably costing themselves a chance to draft Anderson. 

If we trade up to 3 it's Will Anderson I want.

Young I think is the best QB but size is a problem.

Stroud checks all the boxes but had so much talent around him it makes one hesitate but at 3 I'd pick him for sure.

Richardson is a HUGE reach but would have some time to develop if Jimmy G is healthy and get a few packages.

Levis seems like an expensive Carr. 

Would prefer the last two on a trade down and I'd prefer a trade down for but not if Anderson gets Tunsil'd. lol

So 4 QB's, DE/LB Anderson, Carter (risky but both stud and need) and CB Gonzalez. I'm good with the top 3 Tackles but prefer Broderick Jones. So that's 10 players. CB Witherspoon and I'd expect another DE or two to get picked in the top 10 picks. So trading down and building depth is the way I'd go this draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G said:

If we trade up to 3 it's Will Anderson I want.

Young I think is the best QB but size is a problem.

Stroud checks all the boxes but had so much talent around him it makes one hesitate but at 3 I'd pick him for sure.

Richardson is a HUGE reach but would have some time to develop if Jimmy G is healthy and get a few packages.

Levis seems like an expensive Carr. 

Would prefer the last two on a trade down and I'd prefer a trade down for but not if Anderson gets Tunsil'd. lol

So 4 QB's, DE/LB Anderson, Carter (risky but both stud and need) and CB Gonzalez. I'm good with the top 3 Tackles but prefer Broderick Jones. So that's 10 players. CB Witherspoon and I'd expect another DE or two to get picked in the top 10 picks. So trading down and building depth is the way I'd go this draft.

I love Anderson but I don’t think he’s good enough to justify giving up our first 2-3 picks and potentially our first next year to draft him when #38 is a swwwt spot to land a quality edge prospect. 

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Front office was smart when putting the Jimmy deal together. They could essentially cut him after this season if they wanted to. Yes they would take a cap hit but they also gain cap space as well. They gave themselves a QB who they think can win with this season but didn’t let that stop them for being aggressive for a QB if they liked them. 

I'm not sure I'd give too much credit to the FO - $18,750,000 dead cap would be a pretty big cap hit 🤔

1 hour ago, Ryno said:

I'm not sure I'd give too much credit to the FO - $18,750,000 dead cap would be a pretty big cap hit 🤔

Maybe Jimmy looks solid and stays healthy and we can trade him after this season if we draft a QB. Doesn’t matter what we get for him, even a 5th, just as long as we get rid of his cap hit. 

On 4/1/2023 at 6:10 PM, BayRaider said:

Love some Caleb Williams but Drake Maye is 1b… total beast, and I usually hate UNC QB’s.

Best pure thrower since Burrow easily. And stronger arm. 

I prefer Maye to Williams personally. He has some Aaron Rodgers to his game the way he moves and how effortless his arm is. One main reason I don't want the Raiders to take a QB this year early is this 2024 class is oozing with big time QBs. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I prefer Maye to Williams personally. He has some Aaron Rodgers to his game the way he moves and how effortless his arm is. One main reason I don't want the Raiders to take a QB this year early is this 2024 class is oozing with big time QBs. 

That’s the thing for me too. If we’re able to nail this draft without taking a QB we’d enter next offseason with like $80M in cap (can create $20-40M more too) and have a decent portion of our core already in place. 

We should be able to plug needs in free agency which would allow us to trade up if needed without neglecting other position groups. And overall it just seems like we’d be able to provide a much better situation for a young QB to step into next year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

That’s the thing for me too. If we’re able to nail this draft without taking a QB we’d enter next offseason with like $80M in cap (can create $20-40M more too) and have a decent portion of our core already in place. 

We should be able to plug needs in free agency which would allow us to trade up if needed without neglecting other position groups. And overall it just seems like we’d be able to provide a much better situation for a young QB to step into next year. 

While this is true, we might not be able to trade up for a QB, if they will be so good prospects.

You could find yourself on the floor between two chairs easily if you know what I mean...

However if they don't see the available guys at 3 or 7 as sure fr.QBs then they should pass and don't force it...

Edited by Rolni