The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you’re waiting for the perfect QB prospect to fall into your lap, good luck.

Lol

The NFL draft community is really bad at scouting QBs sometimes. Goff, Burrow, and maybe Lawrence if he doesn't regress, and the rest have been pretty lackluster. 

Outside of those 3, would any of those QBs even be 2nd round picks today?

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

if we trade up for Richardson I’m fine with it. I’m also fine with staying put and taking Gonzalez / Carter or trading back. Regardless of what we do with the roster though we need to find a star level QB sooner rather than later. 

Same. Hard to mess this up entirely. Gonzalez at 7 or Richardson at 3. No more Gruden mess ups. 

Not going to be very excited if we trade up for Richardson, but I'll deal with it. Is it what I would do? No. Is it a gamble? Oh hell yeah. Would it be wild if he panned out? Absolutely. I'll cheer for whoever we take, but this one just makes me nervous. I have warmed up to him more at least though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

My approach to fixing the defense is to trade down get an extra 2nd and 3rd out of it.

Target Porter Jr or Deonte Banks I like Gonzalez but would be happy adding two picks and still getting a #1 CB with size.

You now have two 2nd round picks one has to be LB preferably Jack Campbell but wouldn't be mad at Simpson or Sanders.

2nd rounder #2, Edge. D. Hall, Anudike, Foskey all fit the bill for me

Round 3 big fatty time, Siaki Ika, Mazi Smith how Graham likes them.

Round 3 Sneak in OG or TE

Round 3 see above

Round 4 Double dip at CB  solid corners will still be on the board seeing most of the guys we signed are 1 year contracts should grab another In this deep class even using some of our late round pick to move back into the 3rd with this pick would be smart.

I just don't see why we shouldn't stack up on defense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I was among the first to go all in on Richardson, so it's good to see you all come around. 

Couple things.... are we sure he's the 3rd QB taken? I could easily see Carolina or Houston betting on him. All of these QBs have flaws, maybe they want the guy with the most upside. 

Which brings me to my next point.... All the QBs have flaws, so trading up for one feels forced. If you are trading up to #3 overall, you can't have any doubt on the QB. 

I would not trade up and I love Richardson. I'm not trading up unless I have a Lawrence/Burrow level guy available. 

My draft flow chart:

Did QB fall to 7(?):

• Yes -Invest in QB
  • No -Did the run on QBs push down Anderson to #7(?):
    • Yes - Draft Anderson
    • No - Trade Pick

Richardon/Anderson at 7 of I'm stacking as much resources as possible. Going defense heavy in the top 100. Then I'm taking all my ammo (talking Ricky Williams level scorched earth approach here..... I don't care) and going to get Drake Maye in 2024

*subject to Drake Maye staying the man. 

Kinda what I was talking about this morning BP. So yeah, I definitely agree.

• Like 2

Ok, strictly hypothetical. But what if you give up said assets for Richardson.....and we stunk it up? So we traded away say a top 5 pick next year for a QB that we won’t know for sure is ready to take over. Ya think the donkeys would like to have that pick now? Lol. I know some will say it’s hindsight, but that’s not the point. You’re giving up assets for a question mark that could be used for an exclamation point next year. Sorry y’all but this isn’t rocket science. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Ok, strictly hypothetical. But what if you give up said assets for Richardson.....and we stunk it up? So we traded away say a top 5 pick next year for a QB that we won’t know for sure is ready to take over. Ya think the donkeys would like to have that pick now? Lol. I know some will say it’s hindsight, but that’s not the point. You’re giving up assets for a question mark that could be used for an exclamation point next year. Sorry y’all but this isn’t rocket science. 

You act like it's a 100% certainty we're picking in the top 5. As others have mentioned if you're not slotted #1 or #2 I highly, highly doubt those teams are willing to move down. Chances are they are just as eager to land blue chip QBs. Everyone keeps talking about going all in for Caleb/Drake but the chances of actually being able to get one of them is extremely slim. So many things will have to go our way which quite frankly isn't the Raider way. 

Not to mention those saying build up the roster for this season around QB. We went to extraordinary lengths to lose games and still only pick #7. The downgrade from Carr to Jimmy G isn't substantial enough to move us from #7 to #1/2 next year imo. Our team is flawed but we have talent. Too much for us to win only 1-3 games and be in a position to pick one of the top 2 QBS I predict. 

Again I have been very vocal about supporting trading up or trading down. I'm fine selecting #7 too. 

I just have an issue with people penciling us in for the Drake/Caleb sweepstakes + saying we should avoid QB all together when the majority of front offices will move mountains to get one of them. Just think, if we're picking #1 and someone offered us 3 first and 3 seconds to move far down and avoid Maye/Williams, would you? 

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You act like it's a 100% certainty we're picking in the top 5. As others have mentioned if you're not slotted #1 or #2 I highly, highly doubt those teams are willing to move down. Chances are they are just as eager to land blue chip QBs. Everyone keeps talking about going all in for Caleb/Drake but the chances of actually being able to get one of them is extremely slim. So many things will have to go our way which quite frankly isn't the Raider way. 

Not to mention those saying build up the roster for this season around QB. We went to extraordinary lengths to lose games and still only pick #7. The downgrade from Carr to Jimmy G isn't substantial enough to move us from #7 to #1/2 next year imo. Our team is flawed but we have talent. Too much for us to win only 1-3 games and be in a position to pick one of the top 2 QBS I predict. 

Well.....first off, I believe there was an “IF” placed in there so in no way was I acting like it’s a 100% certainty. Lol. You have your opinion and I have mine, this class is nothing special currently at qb so why force it? Btw,....by crazy CHANCE the bears had #1......and traded it to the #9 team fwiw. So it can happen HYPOTHETICALLY. You know, that word I also used in the above post? Lol! Do you bro, you want a guy this year, and that’s fine.....I don’t!!! The end.👍🍻

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Again I have been very vocal about supporting trading up or trading down. I'm fine selecting #7 too. 

I just have an issue with people penciling us in for the Drake/Caleb sweepstakes + saying we should avoid QB all together when the majority of front offices will move mountains to get one of them. Just think, if we're picking #1 and someone offered us 3 first and 3 seconds to move far down and avoid Maye/Williams, would you? 

I also mentioned McKee in the 2 nd before. Tune and dtr later as well. IMO THIS IS A BAD YEAR TO TRADE UP OR FORCE THE QB PICK. 

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

Well.....first off, I believe there was an “IF” placed in there so in no way was I acting like it’s a 100% certainty. Lol. You have your opinion and I have mine, this class is nothing special currently at qb so why force it? Btw,....by crazy CHANCE the bears had #1......and traded it to the #9 team fwiw. So it can happen HYPOTHETICALLY. You know, that word I also used in the above post? Lol! Do you bro, you want a guy this year, and that’s fine.....I don’t!!! The end.👍🍻

The only reason the Bears traded down is because they have their QBOTF on the roster already. The odds of a team having one and still landing #1 is obscenely rare. That won't be happening again unless a top tier QB under contract for many years gets hurt early in the season. 

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Me not wanting to trade up for Richardson is not an endorsement of Jimmy. This highlight reel is ***. His arm talent is a joke compared to DC. Our QBOTF whoever it is will be much more dynamic with their arm/legs.

Pretty spicy if you ask me. Accurate, poise. That's more action in the red zone than I saw the last 9 years.

Doesn't have a rifle, but accurate and carves up the middle of the field. Carr had a big arm, but his deep ball floated like crazy. 

I agree though. Would like to see a more dynamic player at the QB spot. With Richardson at least you know you're hitting gold on his legs.