The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fair. Either/Or. Really depends on just how much they love whichever QB is there at 2. 

I'd personally pass on Young for a different QB this year or next (or trade for one). But everyone has their preferences. 

Basically the only way Houston could go wrong is flat out reaching and ignoring positional needs. 

But you just pointed out as I did earlier they have so many draft picks take a qb and if for some reason he's not working out for you trade him for something take another shot next year.

24 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

But you just pointed out as I did earlier they have so many draft picks take a qb and if for some reason he's not working out for you trade him for something take another shot next year.

I don't think the market is particularly great for 1st round QB flops though. Too many unblemished prospects keep coming out. 

Better to go with a guy you really like than to just take one for the sake of it in that regard. If it genuinely doesn't work out, damn. But at least it was a good faith move and effort. Doing so for the sake of doing so is a quick way to wind up with sunk costs (see: pretty much every Jets QB over the last 15 years lol). 

Whoever decided Zach Wilson was that guy should have been summarily fired on the spot. They took him because they just had to take a QB. It was a reach. Now they're pretty much stuck with him riding epine because nobody wants to take him on. 

quick mock 4/5 

R1: Christian Gonzalez CB

R2: Isaiah Foskey Edge

R3: Jordan Battle S

R3: Dorian Williams LB 

R4: Noah Sewell LB

R5: Jake Haener QB

R5: Andrew Vorhees G

R5: Jon Gaines C

R6: Elijah Higgins TE

R6: Jalen Cropper WR

R7: Mike Morris DE

R7:  Cameron Mitchell DB

If it’s not a QB and they don’t like T.Wilson then 

7. Devon Witherspoon -CB-

38. BJ Ojulari -EDGE-

70. Daiyan Henley -LB-

100. Chandler Zavala -OG-

That would be ideal. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

If it’s not a QB and they don’t like T.Wilson then 

7. Devon Witherspoon -CB-

38. BJ Ojulari -EDGE-

70. Daiyan Henley -LB-

100. Chandler Zavala -OG-

That would be ideal. 

Yeah I was looking at something like this as well. CB/Edge/LB/OG

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't think the market is particularly great for 1st round QB flops though. Too many unblemished prospects keep coming out. 

Better to go with a guy you really like than to just take one for the sake of it in that regard. If it genuinely doesn't work out, damn. But at least it was a good faith move and effort. Doing so for the sake of doing so is a quick way to wind up with sunk costs (see: pretty much every Jets QB over the last 15 years lol). 

Whoever decided Zach Wilson was that guy should have been summarily fired on the spot. They took him because they just had to take a QB. It was a reach. Now they're pretty much stuck with him riding epine because nobody wants to take him on. 

You letting your bias get in the way, because you not high on Young, but by most accounts he's the best QB in the draft. If for some reason he's not a fit and they in position to get Caleb or Maye next year, you can still trade him for like a 3rd and most teams won't consider him a bust after 1 season. And because we know finding a franchise QB is hit and miss, you have the picks to take more than one shot at it if you have too, it's the best course of action for a team that been building nicely.

Edited by raidr4life

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I was looking at something like this as well. CB/Edge/LB/OG

I think there will be a range of players at those positions around those areas to make that work. Get another IOL and DB depth later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

quick mock 4/5 

R1: Christian Gonzalez CB

R2: Isaiah Foskey Edge

R3: Jordan Battle S

R3: Dorian Williams LB 

R4: Noah Sewell LB

R5: Jake Haener QB

R5: Andrew Vorhees G

R5: Jon Gaines C

R6: Elijah Higgins TE

R6: Jalen Cropper WR

R7: Mike Morris DE

R7:  Cameron Mitchell DB

starting defense post draft 

DE: Maxx, Foskey/Jones

DT: Nichols/Tillery, Farrell 

WLB/MLB/SLB: Williams, Sewell, Spillane

CB: Gonzalez, Hobbs

S: Moehrig, Epps, Battle 

I would really like that defense. 

41 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

You letting your bias get in the way, because you not high on Young, but by most accounts he's the best QB in the draft. If for some reason he's not a fit and they in position to get Caleb or Maye next year, you can still trade him for like a 3rd and most teams won't consider him a bust after 1 season. And because we know finding a franchise QB is hit and miss, you have the picks to take more than one shot at it if you have too, it's the best course of action for a team that been building nicely.

How is my bias getting in the way because I flat out said I wouldn't take the guy, but your bias for preferring him isn't? It's all subject. He could start this year for a team and make Josh Rosen look like Dan Marino for all we know.