The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Haener - Small, weak arm. 33% completion percentage deep outside the numbers. That won't cut it in the NFL. Has the mentality and workman ship, but the dudes a gritty backup.  

DTR - He's the 2023 trendy dual threat sleeper QB who actually sucks. 5 year starter and still played like a high school QB, erratic, bailing out of the pockets and not protecting the ball. He only moderately developed under Chip Kelly in 5 years. No reason to expect him a big jump coming up on age 24. 

You sleeping on Haener. If he went to SEC you would be all over him. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My opinion on QB..... 

QBOTF is a need, but unless one of the top guys fall to you at 7, please wait a year. 

Nobody in this class past the top guys is going to get you closer to Mahomes and Herbert in the division. I'm confident in saying that. 

Please, please don't waste a pick on some mid-QB with no real franchise future just because you "need" a QB. 

If you are not swinging for a franchise level guy, it's not worth it in my view. Wait until 2024 and go get your guy when the roster is hopefully trending up. 

Totally agree with this. Curious about your QB rankings BP, and if one falls to pick 3 do you trade up? 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My opinion on QB..... 

QBOTF is a need, but unless one of the top guys fall to you at 7, please wait a year. 

Nobody in this class past the top guys is going to get you closer to Mahomes and Herbert in the division. I'm confident in saying that. 

Please, please don't waste a pick on some mid-QB with no real franchise future just because you "need" a QB. 

If you are not swinging for a franchise level guy, it's not worth it in my view. Wait until 2024 and go get your guy when the roster is hopefully trending up. 

Unless we planning to be one of the 1-3 worst teams in the league, getting a perceived franchise QB would take an treasure chest of assets if that’s even possible. This regime can’t wait to take a QB in year 3. They could be developing one for another coach

It’s always the following years prospects that look better without all the evaluation

37 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

You would've drafted Malik Willis in round 1. 

Pot, meet Kettle. 

Such hyperbole about me regarding Love and Willis, hilarious stuff. I wouldn’t have touched either of them with our 1st round pick. Go check the Pick 12 and Pick 19 Big Board for 2020, Love isn’t on 12 at all and for 19 he’s like my #6. I am guilty of wanting to trade up for Tua, Justin Fields, and Anthony Richardson. But the Love/Willis stuff used by you and Frankie will always be hilarious. I liked Love a lot. He was 17th ranked prospect. You and Frankie act like I had the guy #1 overall lmao. And I still believe in Jordan Love actually. Will be interesting what he does this year. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Haener - Small, weak arm. 33% completion percentage deep outside the numbers. That won't cut it in the NFL. Has the mentality and workman ship, but the dudes a gritty backup.  

DTR - He's the 2023 trendy dual threat sleeper QB who actually sucks. 5 year starter and still played like a high school QB, erratic, bailing out of the pockets and not protecting the ball. He only moderately developed under Chip Kelly in 5 years. No reason to expect him a big jump coming up on age 24.

Yo, chill out on my boy DTR, that’s a harsh analysis….. but sadly I agree lol Hell of an athlete tho. I selfishly would take a late round flyer in the 6th or 7th round bcs his brother is a friend of mine and I might be able to get an inside scoop 😅 I like Haener, but might just be recency bias after seeing what Purdy did. You don’t think AR could develop to compete w Herbert or Mahomes, or u don’t think the staff has enough juice to develop him? Personally Im with the latter, sadly don’t think much of JMD but maybe he could thrive in a more strict offense… wishful thinking aha 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Such hyperbole about me regarding Love and Willis, hilarious stuff. I wouldn’t have touched either of them with our 1st round pick. Go check the Pick 12 and Pick 19 Big Board for 2020, Love isn’t on 12 at all and for 19 he’s like my #6. I am guilty of wanting to trade up for Tua, Justin Fields, and Anthony Richardson. But the Love/Willis stuff used by you and Frankie will always be hilarious. I liked Love a lot. He was 17th ranked prospect. You and Frankie act like I had the guy #1 overall lmao. And I still believe in Jordan Love actually. Will be interesting what he does this year. 

Did you or did you not have a first round grade on Willis? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

You sleeping on Haener. If he went to SEC you would be all over him. 

And if you were not a Fresno homer, you'd see he's at best a backup in the NFL.

I'm a Georgia fan and wouldn't touch Stetson. Undersized QBs with weak arms don't translate into NFL starters.  

Edited by big_palooka

6 hours ago, Marz_LVR said:

Yo, chill out on my boy DTR, that’s a harsh analysis….. but sadly I agree lol Hell of an athlete tho. I selfishly would take a late round flyer in the 6th or 7th round bcs his brother is a friend of mine and I might be able to get an inside scoop 😅 I like Haener, but might just be recency bias after seeing what Purdy did. You don’t think AR could develop to compete w Herbert or Mahomes, or u don’t think the staff has enough juice to develop him? Personally Im with the latter, sadly don’t think much of JMD but maybe he could thrive in a more strict offense… wishful thinking aha 

Sorry brother 😂 I like UCLA and have watched a good deal of them being a Chip Kelly fan from his Oregon days. I've tried to get my head around DTR and man he is rough to watch. His style works against some of their competition, but he is a mess for a 5 year starter. He's a good athlete, I wonder if he could make a switch to WR. 

Purdy - I think benefits from Shanahan. I think he has a Nick Mullens like ending. These flash in the pan guys usually fall to their mean. Take him out of that talent and offensive scheme, what is he?

AR - I think the staff could develop him. I have faith in JMD in that regard. And I think AR is coachable and will put in the work away from the organization. If he hits his ceiling, he can certainly compete with the top guys based on skill alone. At worst, he's going to be a household name for the big play abilities he can create. It will be about consistency for him.