The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sorry brother 😂 I like UCLA and have watched a good deal of them being a Chip Kelly fan from his Oregon days. I've tried to get my head around DTR and man he is rough to watch. His style works against some of their competition, but he is a mess for a 5 year starter. He's a good athlete, I wonder if he could make a switch to WR. 

Purdy - I think benefits from Shanahan. I think he has a Nick Mullens like ending. These flash in the pan guys usually fall to their mean. Take him out of that talent and offensive scheme, what is he?

AR - I think the staff could develop him. I have faith in JMD in that regard. And I think AR is coachable and will put in the work away from the organization. If he hits his ceiling, he can certainly compete with the top guys based on skill alone. At worst, he's going to be a household name for the big play abilities he can create. It will be about consistency for him.

Haha all good, I’ve been trying to convince myself that he could be something since he took over as starter at Bishop Gorman. He’s just very underwhelming in terms of playing qb. 

Good point on the Mullins thing, I can see a similar trajectory for Purdy, but I just think he’s got enough “Moxi” to be a starter. Especially for a great coach like Shanny. He’s great at getting the most out of players in his system and maximizing their strengths. Almost like JMD calling a HB pass after JJ fractured his finger…. Genius 🤣

I agree with the AR opinion, but as I’ve stated, I have 0 faith in JMD. Never liked him in ANY regard. He seems like a guy the locker room just tunes out most of the time… I’m obviously hoping he makes me eat some serious crow this year but highly doubtful; Unless his buddy Dave can hit it out of the park and get some gems in the draft to mask his deficiencies. One thing I was high on was his ability to change & learn from his first experience. The guy is just too damn smart not to get it but he might be too smart for his own good. I guess we’ll know soon enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

No way AR every competes with QBs in the AFC west. He’s not that good of a passer he’s gonna have to rush for 150 yards a game and throw 150. Herbert and Mahomes can throw for 350+ every game if they had too.

He’s not great right now but we’re obviously talking about his projection in the league. Might be my FL homerism, but no one can tell me he can’t have a Hurts like career arc. I think in terms of tools, he has just as much, if not more than guys like Hurts, Allen or Fields. He’s def got a better arm than Hurts or Fields in my opinion. Just a smoother thrower of the ball than those guys. Not to mention the fact that he played in the SEC with a meh supporting cast. The key is getting a coach that’s going to develop him and play to his strengths like Sirianni did in Philly. Time will tell but I’m definitely not discounting the fact that there’s a good chance he ends up like Tyree Jackson, flipping to TE. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And if you were not a Fresno homer, you'd see he's at best a backup in the NFL.

I'm a Georgia fan and wouldn't touch Stetson. Undersized QBs with weak arms don't translate into NFL starters.  

Haener has a good arm. Idk where this false narrative is coming from, but then I remember the poster. Haener is undersized and that is the reason why he isn't in the 1st round mix. I would draft him in the 5th, with excitement! I wouldn't be mad drafting him in the 4th. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Marz_LVR said:

He’s not great right now but we’re obviously talking about his projection in the league. Might be my FL homerism, but no one can tell me he can’t have a Hurts like career arc. I think in terms of tools, he has just as much, if not more than guys like Hurts, Allen or Fields. He’s def got a better arm than Hurts or Fields in my opinion. Just a smoother thrower of the ball than those guys. Not to mention the fact that he played in the SEC with a meh supporting cast. The key is getting a coach that’s going to develop him and play to his strengths like Sirianni did in Philly. Time will tell but I’m definitely not discounting the fact that there’s a good chance he ends up like Tyree Jackson, flipping to TE. 

Yes the goal is a Hurts like passing game but Hurts averages 250 a game still not in the ballpark with Mahomes or Herbert. Herbert throw for a 1,000 more yards and Mahomes for 1,500 more yards.

BTW I live in Fort Myers

27 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Haener has a good arm. Idk where this false narrative is coming from, but then I remember the poster. Haener is undersized and that is the reason why he isn't in the 1st round mix. I would draft him in the 5th, with excitement! I wouldn't be mad drafting him in the 4th. 

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

• Like 2

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I would not trade up to 3 for any of these guys. 

I rank them Stroud, Richardson, Young, Levis

I'd trade up to 3 for Stroud and only if the trade is reasonable.

At 7 I can live with Richardson if he's available. 

Young I'm worried about his size/durability, and Levis I'm not a fan of. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OldManWillis said:

They can pour all the Miracle Gro on Young, he ain't getting any bigger lol.

1 minute ago, OldManWillis said:

They can pour all the Miracle Gro on Young, he ain't getting any bigger lol.

He’s not getting taller but with NFL strength and conditioning programs, he should fill out his body. Plus getting older as well

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

FWIW.... Hondo has said they will not take him at 7. But didn't rule it out with a trade down should he be available. 

I can see that. It depends how far his fall could go. We have 12 picks, I don’t think we make all of those

13 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

He’s not getting taller but with NFL strength and conditioning programs, he should fill out his body. Plus getting older as well

HIs frame is pretty slight. Hard to see him adding much weight. He did all he could to get over 200 for the combine and no doubt immediately dropped it. 

• Like 2

I really like Gonzalez as a prospect but this franchise never learns. We always draft DBs high and wonder why they don't pan out. Our DL always sucks. We often are man handled. The great teams are great in the trenches. This is basic football 101. We always have one stud Mack, Maxx and then trash around him. So teams can focus on stopping the stud DL or move the QB away from the stud. All good QBs, can pick apart DBs when they are comfortable. Sadly, we never win up front as a unit. This is a big reason the defense suffers, and those investments in DBs never pan out. Even that year we paid up for LBs Nick K and Littleton didn't little to change the defense. They flopped because our DL has sucked for a long time. People get happy if we have an average starting DL, we need studs on that unit. More than one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bryce Young is smaller and about to go #1 overall..... care to try again?