The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

40 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I really like Gonzalez as a prospect but this franchise never learns. We always draft DBs high and wonder why they don't pan out. Our DL always sucks. We often are man handled. The great teams are great in the trenches. This is basic football 101. We always have one stud Mack, Maxx and then trash around him. So teams can focus on stopping the stud DL or move the QB away from the stud. All good QBs, can pick apart DBs when they are comfortable. Sadly, we never win up front as a unit. This is a big reason the defense suffers, and those investments in DBs never pan out. Even that year we paid up for LBs Nick K and Littleton didn't little to change the defense. They flopped because our DL has sucked for a long time. People get happy if we have an average starting DL, we need studs on that unit. More than one. 

Good thing this draft is deep in DL like people been saying for months.You want to go all in on AR15.

3 hours ago, Marz_LVR said:

I agree with the AR opinion, but as I’ve stated, I have 0 faith in JMD. Never liked him in ANY regard. He seems like a guy the locker room just tunes out most of the time… I’m obviously hoping he makes me eat some serious crow this year but highly doubtful; Unless his buddy Dave can hit it out of the park and get some gems in the draft to mask his deficiencies. One thing I was high on was his ability to change & learn from his first experience. The guy is just too damn smart not to get it but he might be too smart for his own good. I guess we’ll know soon enough. 

Respect the opinion. History and odds are certainly not in his favor. My hope is similar. He gets guys that fit his coaching style and it clicks. He's been highly regarded for years despite his shortcomings, there is something to that. 

Bottom line for me, the old guard way of doing things was resulting in the same tired results. I applaud Davis for taking a shot at something different. Right or wrong, time will tell. I have faith they can figure it out.

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If DeMeco Ryans picks Richardson over Stroud, he has balls of steel. And I like it. I think Texans has their eye on Bryce, but Panthers are kind of showing their hand. 

He saw Lance up close and personal. If he doesn’t take Young it’s because he’s going defense. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I find it hilarious..... guys watch highlight reels on Youtube. Listen to "experts" online and on Twitter. Read draft breakdowns and combine numbers. Then form an opinion, usually on the backs of their favorite draft expert.

Then will just blast someone for being wrong and talk about how right they were as if any of their opinions were not completely regurgitated from some draft blog. Guilty myself. 

But when you really think about it.... this is all insanely trivial. The loudest voices in here argue these things as if it's their job to prospect. When reality, we're all just wasting time on the internet.

Yep, no one on here is a paid professional scout. Fact. Everyone watches tape, reads and has draft guys they like. I personally don’t have any favorite draft gurus, but I do read most. I also, believe it or not, pay attention to y’all’s opinions. Cuz I do believe most of us are total football heads or we wouldn’t be here, some with a grain of salt due to their particular stance or wants (Bay wants the next mahomie, EA likes bulldogs, buck just wants any good qb (I don’t blame him) etc etc. lots of good football brains on here. The name calling and trolling gets tiresome, but I sure am not gonna say I haven’t had my moments (I remember telling 91jmay he could find me in front of the bourbon cowboy anytime he wanted when things got chippy once) lmao! Been put on notice a cpl times for cussin and threats, but I’m still here since 2005. We take our football seriously here, and are starving to death to have a real winner. So I keep that in mind.👍 as far as scouting? Yep I’ll do YouTube, expert opinions, y’all’s opinions, my own, and a bit of gut feeling. Hell, I wanted whitworth because we needed a RT at the time, he was projected around late 2nd-3rd rnd. But believe it or not, what stood out to me most?....52 straight starts at LSU!!! Started from git, never looked back and NEVER missed a game. Blue collar, lunchpail type.....FHOF!! Ya never can tell......👍😉😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Respect the opinion. History and odds are certainly not in his favor. My hope is similar. He gets guys that fit his coaching style and it clicks. He's been highly regarded for years despite his shortcomings, there is something to that. 

Bottom line for me, the old guard way of doing things was resulting in the same tired results. I applaud Davis for taking a shot at something different. Right or wrong, time will tell. I have faith they can figure it out.

My hope is that DZ has enough juice and influence to get it turned around. The crossroads will be upon us if DZ kills it but the results just aren’t there on the field. I question if he’s got the stones to can his boy if it goes that route. But ur right, he has always been highly regarded around the league so there’s gotta be something to that… I have the crow marinating in case he figures it out……

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Yes the goal is a Hurts like passing game but Hurts averages 250 a game still not in the ballpark with Mahomes or Herbert. Herbert throw for a 1,000 more yards and Mahomes for 1,500 more yards.

BTW I live in Fort Myers

I understand Hurts has a hell of a supporting cast but I still feel AR has enough to keep up with them just off run game alone. just need him to move the ball & get in the end zone. Passing or running. If he puts up maybe 28 TD’s by air and another 4-7 in the run game, I feel that’s enough to keep up w both Herbie and Mahomes. That’s just me tho. I wouldn’t be elated with him at 3 with the capital we’d have to give up but I’m all over it if he slides to 7, I think he’s worth the risk. Not getting my hopes up tho

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

My people, I’ve been crazy busy with my work, what are the draft rumors? 

Bryce back to #1. Raiders and Titans both have been “quietly” rumored to be interested in #3. Other than that, I can’t really think of anything relevant. 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

imagine drafting Jalen Carter at 7 then trading up to the 20s to draft Myles Murphy..... that would be so amazing! 

I’d be totally down for that. Though I honestly think Murphy goes pretty high come draft day. I really think he’s one of the more complete DEs in the draft.

44 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I’d be totally down for that. Though I honestly think Murphy goes pretty high come draft day. I really think he’s one of the more complete DEs in the draft.

I honestly wouldn't be mad if we drafted him at 7. He can be special 

• Like 2