The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

Just now, raidr4life said:

. Why did no one recruit the Chico, California, quarterback out of high school? Why did he end up at Butte Community College? And what was up with that high-ball grip he was taught at Cal by coach Jeff Tedford? No dude I'm not buying, I remember totally different Alex Smith was #1 and was looked at as NFL ready then you had guys like Campbell in the mix.

The high grip is one of the reasons I think he was passed up on. But it was an easily fixable thing. And no, clearly you don't remember 2005. Rodgers WAS THE CLEAR #1 guy all draft season until the final week where there started to be a TON of buzz the Niners were selecting Smith. I watched and read the entire draft process every day in 2005, just like we are doing now. 

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

. Why did no one recruit the Chico, California, quarterback out of high school? Why did he end up at Butte Community College? And what was up with that high-ball grip he was taught at Cal by coach Jeff Tedford? No dude I'm not buying, I remember totally different Alex Smith was #1 and was looked at as NFL ready then you had guys like Campbell in the mix.

Idk, I remember Rodgers as QB1  and a virtual lock for top 5-10 and the cameras panning to him all day with everyone going "WTF?". 

Some folks may have had Smith at QB1, but it certainly wasn't universal from how I remember it. And I feel pretty comfortable in saying that because I caught flack from friends for the next like 3 1/2 years before Rodgers took over. Were my defense of Rodgers as a future stud not so derided by some friends back then, I wouldn't feel so certain, but it's one of those things I'll never forget. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Idk, I remember Rodgers as QB1  and a virtual lock for top 5-10 and the cameras panning to him all day with everyone going "WTF?". 

Some folks may have had Smith at QB1, but it certainly wasn't universal from how I remember it. And I feel pretty comfortable in saying that because I caught flack from friends for the next like 3 1/2 years before Rodgers took over. Were my defense of Rodgers as a future stud not so derided by some friends back then, I wouldn't feel so certain, but it's one of those things I'll never forget. 

Dude the scouting reports were killing Rodgers hardly any of those reports screamed #1 QB. Maybe the fan community was high on him, but I don't think teams were. 

Edited by raidr4life

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

Dude the scouting reports were killing Rodgers hardly any of those reports screamed #1 QB.

We are telling you what happened in real time. Rodgers was the hyped up clear #1 all draftt process/season, every day, just like we all watch media videos, look at rankings, and read articles every day right now during the draft process/season. Smith became #1 the final week when there was a ton of buzz the 49ers loved him. 

Nothing you say will change that, nor is it very important. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We are telling you what happened in real time. Rodgers was the hyped up clear #1 all draftt process/season, every day, just like we all watch media videos, look at rankings, and read articles every day right now during the draft process/season. Smith became #1 the final week when there was a ton of buzz the 49ers loved him. 

Nothing you say will change that, nor is it very important. 

You not telling me nothing, you the same one who had 15 running backs better than Josh Jacobs. Lol ronjon I'll give a little more weight too.

Edited by raidr4life

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Rodgers, yes they did lol. A lot of people thought he was gonna be elite and thought the Niners were idiots for going Smith. Real time, not hindsight. As for Allen/Mahomes they have super elite traits. Stroud doesn’t.

That’s why 2/3 of the league passed on him and he had to sit behind Favre for years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

You not telling me nothing, you the same one who had 15 running backs better than Josh Jacobs. Lol ronjon I'll give a little more weight too.

Talk about over exaggeration. In the draft? Jacobs was my #1 RB. I still have my 2019 Rankings saved on Draft Network. I didn't want a RB in the 1st Round. I also didn't like the RB class very much, so I'm sure you can dig up a Jacobs negative post if you want (there's also positive posts). Still was my #1 Ranked RB, though.

Or are you talking about in the NFL? Jacobs consensus rank, not just "me" was 13-16 range before last season. He did absolutely nothing to deserve higher than that before last season. That is not an abnormal take. After his extraordinary season, I would only put Chubb, McCaffrey, and Taylor over him as better RB's now. (Let me guess, you think he's the best RB in football...). 

I would take Breece Hall, Saquon Barkley ahead of Jacobs going forward, but I wouldn't rank them above him right now. I think Breece is the next great NFL RB. His skillset is insane. And he's getting paid peanuts. As for Barkley, fully healthy, he's better than Jacobs with way more talent. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Talk about over exaggeration. In the draft? Jacobs was my #1 RB. I still have my 2019 Rankings saved on Draft Network. I didn't want a RB in the 1st Round. I also didn't like the RB class very much, so I'm sure you can dig up a Jacobs negative post if you want (there's also positive posts). Still was my #1 Ranked RB, though.

Or are you talking about in the NFL? Jacobs consensus rank, not just "me" was 13-16 range before last season. He did absolutely nothing to deserve higher than that before last season. That is not an abnormal take. After his extraordinary season, I would only put Chubb, McCaffrey, and Taylor over him as better RB's now. (Let me guess, you think he's the best RB in football...). 

I would take Breece Hall, Saquon Barkley ahead of Jacobs going forward, but I wouldn't rank them above him right now. I think Breece is the next great NFL RB. His skillset is insane. And he's getting paid peanuts. As for Barkley, fully healthy, he's better than Jacobs with way more talent. 

Dude you were throwing out names like Montgomery, Miles Sanders, Leonard Fournette, Damien Harris and so on. Jacobs had been top 8 RB since coming in to the league except for the year he missed a chunk of games and you talking about 13-16  when he had no OL.

Edited by raidr4life

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Al Davis was completely senile from like 04 until he died. That’s not a joke or exaggeration. It’s sad. 

I remember before we traded Moss to the Pats. There was a reporter saying we turned down a trade Moss for Rogers straight up. This was of course before he took over the QB1 in GB and Farve was still there. But I wanted that to happen sooo badly. I had him as number 2 that year he was drafted  to be honest behind Smith. But when the trade of Moss was made. I wanted nothing to do with JaMarcus and more than that I really wanted Megatron. So I was hoping trade Moss for Rogers and draft Megatron. But alas we managed to screw the pooch again.

Also I didn't think we would actually take JaMarcus. I really expected us to get Orakpo. He was the physical freak that you just thought Al had created in a lab somewhere.

Edited by BigD1123
  • Like 1

I missed picks in the GM mock draft so we got kinda screwed but ended up with:

3. Anthony Richardson | QB | Florida

38. Cam Smith | CB | South Carolina

100. Atonio Mafi | OG | UCLA

109. Ivan Pace | LB | Cincinatti 

141. McClendon Curtis | OG | Chattanooga 

144. Jay Ward | DB | LSU

174. Jose Ramirez | Edge | Eastern Michigan

204. Habakkuk Baldonado | Edge | Pittsburgh 

214. Brodric Martin | NT | Western Kentucky

220. Stetson Bennett | QB | Georgia

231. Marte Mapu | LB/S | Sacramento State

Edited by NYRaider

A couple weeks ago I questioned if the Texans would pass on a QB at 2 and now it feels like it’s a 50/50 if they will. Can’t deny with a defensive HC and draft ammo pick 12 they could take Will Anderson and then use 12 with other assets to take a chance on Richardson or Levis in a trade up. 

Maybe just maybe Stroud will be there at 3 which then AZs pick would become very valuable 

• Like 1