The 2023 Draft Thread - We're picking #7

RaidersAreOne

17 minutes ago, Dessie said:

What am I missing with Mazi Smith ? .5 sacks in his college career isn’t the stats id expect for a guy who played so highly ranked ? 

Definitely a concern, though he was primarily a 2 gapping NT. 

He’s  certainly being drafted on measurables, which I’m good with for a NT as it’s rare for someone that big to be that athletic.  

41 minutes ago, Dessie said:

What am I missing with Mazi Smith ? .5 sacks in his college career isn’t the stats id expect for a guy who played so highly ranked ? 

Mazi is really athletic for a big man a rotation of him and Ferrell could be nice down the road. Jenkins is old a 1 year rental, it's also possible Mazi could beat both of them out and take the job. 

As it stands everybody else should be competing at 3T. Nicholls, Tillery both Butler's none of those guys really have the size Graham likes at NT, and hopefully one can emerge and provide inside pressure we need as a 3T this year.

50 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Mazi is a NT, and we just drafted Farrell. I think Farrell is going to surprise alot of people 

This is my point. Even if we wanted a NT surely 2nd round is too rich. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Mazi is really athletic for a big man a rotation of him and Ferrell could be nice down the road. Jenkins is old a 1 year rental, it's also possible Mazi could beat both of them out and take the job. 

As it stands everybody else should be competing at 3T. Nicholls, Tillery both Butler's none of those guys really have the size Graham likes at NT, and hopefully one can emerge and provide inside pressure we need as a 3T this year.

He’s athletic is that it ? Does the lack of production not concern you ? 

10 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I think with Smith it's based on what one thinks he could potentially become. 

Being a solid NT probably puts him in early-mid 3rd conversation on its own merit. 

His athletic ability and the potential to be a much more productive pro than college player pushes him up a bit for some people. It's gambling on an unknown. 

The question becomes are you getting Deforest Buckner lite or Arik Armstead in terms of college production and what they'll be in the NFL.  

Buckner wasn't a star monster until his last year at Oregon but has been a monster in the NFL (granted, he had more sacks going into the last year at Oregon than Smith would have if he'd returned to Michigan). 

Armstead wasn't a major producer at Oregon and was always seen as having more pro potential than college. He hasn't been the sack/tfl demon, but he's a very valuable asset. 

Not comparing the players, mind you, just the production rationale. 

I'd gladly take either of Buckner or Armstead with pick 38 any given day. The ceiling is high and the floor is a solid quality key cog. I think that's what folks see with Smith- high ceiling, but also a likely high floor that would make a 2nd round selection more than worthwhile over time. 

Just my take though.

20 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I mean he needs coaching he had 1 sack 19 QB pressures and 5 hits.

By comparison Ika had 0 sacks and Dexter had 2 sacks. He had more pressures and hits on the QB than both just didnt hit home but a guy with that athletic ability and size for  a NT is a nice piece to work with.

Note I would only take him in the 2nd if we had multiple tho.

My must have player is FAU.

Edited by raidr4life

9 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I mean he needs coaching he had 1 sack 19 QB pressures and 5 hits.

By comparison Ika had 0 sacks and Dexter had 2 sacks. He had more pressures and hits on the QB than both just didnt hit home but a guy with that athletic ability and size for  a NT is a nice piece to work with.

Note I would only take him in the 2nd if we had multiple tho.

My must have player is FAU.

.5 sack 6 TFLs 1FF in 35 games (28 starts). I get that there is potential but for a NT that hasn’t produced #38 seems far too high for us. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dessie said:

This is my point. Even if we wanted a NT surely 2nd round is too rich. 

I wouldn't be mad at a NT if there's a good prospect on day 3. Idk, I'm just higher on Farrell and Munford than most. I think they will emerge in year 2. Mazi Smith is going late 1st/early 2nd. I don't see the value, much rather draft an edge, interior pass rusher, top LB, or ever CB if we don't draft one in the 1st. 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I wouldn't be mad at a NT if there's a good prospect on day 3. Idk, I'm just higher on Farrell and Munford than most. I think they will emerge in year 2. Mazi Smith is going late 1st/early 2nd. I don't see the value, much rather draft an edge, interior pass rusher, top LB, or ever CB if we don't draft one in the 1st. 

I’d rather have edge in the 2nd just don’t see value in DT in the 2nd tbh, Benton maybe. 

15 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I’d rather have edge in the 2nd just don’t see value in DT in the 2nd tbh, Benton maybe. 

I view Benton as a mid rounder. Klancey and Breese would be tempting in the 2nd but there's a few really good edge guys I would prefer. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, massraider said:

Love that people say this confidently. 

Not sure when it happened, but it's been funny since it started.

Well, when you watch guys and they look lost and seem easily deceived by slightly varying looks, you kinda come to these conclusions. You might disagree and that's perfectly fine.

34 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I view Benton as a mid rounder. Klancey and Breese would be tempting in the 2nd but there's a few really good edge guys I would prefer. 

I have Benson as a 3rd… I have serious concerns he can hold up to double teams as a NT.  I think he’s a big 3T and I think he’s not worth an early 2nd.

59 minutes ago, Dessie said:

.5 sack 6 TFLs 1FF in 35 games (28 starts). I get that there is potential but for a NT that hasn’t produced #38 seems far too high for us. 

2gap NTs rarely produce. I see him as our version of Wilfork in this Patriot-esque team.

Impossible to single block and won’t give ground.  Crosby and the rookies Murphy and Dexter each would then essentially be looking at beating their one solo blocker.