Which are you most concerned about going into this season? The Offense, or Defense?

Which side of the ball, concerns you the most?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which one makes ya nervous....?

• Offense
    • Defense
    • Both
    • Neither

I think it would be interesting to see everyone's views & concerns about the team heading into the season.

Obviously, June 1st cuts could present more additions & cuts from the team. But we've  already had the draft & the Black Friday Frenzy of Free Agency to start the off season.

Rivera has been outspoken about addressing the LBer position, among possible other changes.

But this poll will be simple. If the season started today, which would concern you most?

The Offense?

Or the Defense?

Gonna go with defense.

Why Thai? Why not the offense since we have a new signal caller?

Well, because I don't know what to expect with all the changes under center, along the line and in the WR corps. So while in a normal season that would be what makes me nervous, what REALLY makes me nervous is finding out what kind of player we have in Chase Young.

And what kind of defense we ACTUALLY have. 

Are they (Young and defense) the 2020 version? Or are they the one from 2021? Because if we get the 2020 defense, all we need is for the offense to be competent and I think we're playoff bound. If it's the 2021 version, the offense is going to have to play hero-ball to get us there.

So I'm most nervous about finding out about our Defense. 

Do we have one or not? Which defense will actually show itself?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gonna go with defense.

Why Thai? Why not the offense since we have a new signal caller?

Well, because I don't know what to expect with all the changes under center, along the line and in the WR corps. So while in a normal season that would be what makes me nervous, what REALLY makes me nervous is finding out what kind of player we have in Chase Young.

And what kind of defense we ACTUALLY have. 

Are they (Young and defense) the 2020 version? Or are they the one from 2021? Because if we get the 2020 defense, all we need is for the offense to be competent and I think we're playoff bound. If it's the 2021 version, the offense is going to have to play hero-ball to get us there.

So I'm most nervous about finding out about our Defense. 

Do we have one or not? Which defense will actually show itself?

What's crazy Thai...

Is we easily could have picked LBer N. Dean.

I think he was picked at #83 in the 3rd round. Just before our 3rd round pick of Robinson at #98.

We could have traded down in the 2nd round & picked up more draft picks.

And targeted Dean or Mathis on the 2nd round trade down & landed at least 1 of them.

Dean would have to started for us immediately, I'm guessing.

And we would have at be least 1 or 2 more players from the trade down.

• Like 1

Defense. Like Thai said if we can get back to that 2020 defense we are a lock for playoffs IMO, between lack of depth at LB and lack of competent MLB to add with a questionable secondary and loss of depth of the Dline I have no idea what we will look like

when you look at the offense I’m not worried, while Carson Wentz wasn’t my first choice he is a huge upgrade at QB. He had 27tds and 7 INTs last year with an offense that wasn’t nearly as talented as ours. Yeah he had jonathan Taylor and Pittman but that was basically it.

we have amazing depth on the Oline, we may not have that pro bowl/all pro guy but the line is solid all the way down to our last string Olineman IMO, Carson will probably have the best WR core he’s ever had depending on how Curtis Samuel comes back. Gibson is a top 10 RB IMO I know he’s gotten crap for fumbles but honestly RBs aren’t perfect and his fumbles just came at the wrong time….. having Robinson spat him and Mckissic do his thing gives us a good RB room

again defense is my worry. If they play top half in the league we make playoffs

I have to say both. I’m concerned on offense about Logan & Samuel getting & staying healthy. I’m concerned that Wentz won’t be as consistent a QB as we want him to be.

We all know Wentz’s ceiling from his MVP type season in Phila in 2017, his very good seasons in 2018, 2019 & last year before he got Covid mid December & he and the Colts team all played worse the last two weeks of last season and missed the playoffs.

But yeah, on paper our offense is the best offense we’ve had since 2016, but whether that all comes together like it should when you look at it on paper is another question.

We literally could have one of the best offenses in the NFL or, we could have a below average offense again like we’ve had from 2019-2021. I’m hoping for the former but, the later remains a concern of mine if people don’t get and stay healthy or if Wentz isn’t as consistent a QB as he can be or if Wentz tries to do too much and tries to be Superman on every play instead of sometimes just “taking the layups,” as Chris Ballard would say and moving the chains.

Defense

We all know the talent, but we all saw the concerns last year and they’re still there as our defense is almost 100% returning the same starting 11 as last year minus Landon Collins (currently) to play WLB/Buffalo nickel. Then, there’s also the concern of DT depth after we chose to cut instead of restructure Ioannidis & we didn’t match Tim Settle’s contract offer froM the Bills. One of those 2 should still be our 3rd DT and it’s a travesty they aren’t but, they did address DT depth in the 2nd round of the draft and I think Mathis is going to be good rotational DT this year and a future starter when/if Payne is gone.

There’s also the obvious question if Chase & Montez will rebound after they both had a down year last year and both have a dominant year and live up to their potential. They both should be double digit sack guys like Rak & Kerrigan we’re as a tandem w/ a few game changing plays made w/ a handful of forced fumbles each but, we did not see them take that step last season & this season Chase is coming off the ACL, so that’s a concern and if someone tells you they’re not concerned about those two they’re either naive or lying.

Our 3rd starting LB spot & depth has remained a question mark for the last two years which is inexcusable considering our HC is a former NFL LB, Rivera, and our defensive coordinator, JDR, is a former LB as well. I hope they bring back Collins to play the role he did last year or they add a 3rd LB who’s better than Mayo to play those 30-40% of our defensive snaps when we have 3 true LBs on the field.

Our #3/slot CB spot & Benjamin St. Juste’s health are a concern. Juste had concussion issues last year which put him on IR for the 2nd half of the year. If he can stay healthy & take a jump in his play this year then we have a solid top 3 CB rotation w/ Fuller sliding to the slot when we go nickel but if Juice can’t stay healthy or doesn’t take that next step we have a major ? At 3rd CB/slot.

I really like Danny Johnson and thought when he had to play last year that our D got better the 2nd half of the year, but I’m not exactly sold that he’s the answer in the slot or not, but he could be. It’s a question that they need to answer. Last year they cut Jimmy Moreland as our incumbent slot CB to keep McTyler and as most people - especially @Thaiphoon - said, the move backfired.

Now, currently we still don’t have a definite answer for the position as they didn’t draft a slot corner prospect in the mid rounds either. 😩 🤷‍♂️🤬

We are set at starting safety & have good young depth developing there w/ Reaves, Forrest & Butler behind our starters Curl & McCain so, at least that is good.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

What's crazy Thai...

Is we easily could have picked LBer N. Dean.

I think he was picked at #83 in the 3rd round. Just before our 3rd round pick of Robinson at #98.

We could have traded down in the 2nd round & picked up more draft picks.

And targeted Dean or Mathis on the 2nd round trade down & landed at least 1 of them.

Dean would have to started for us immediately, I'm guessing.

And we would have at be least 1 or 2 more players from the trade down.

The questions regarding Nakobe Dean’s health mean that he may not ply much this year or have much of an impact. I do think that long term Dean was the right in round 2, but I’m not sure he’s going to have this great rookie season & be an answer at Lb for Phila’s defense this or year or he would’ve been for our savior at Lb like most people think.

Beyond that, as I’ve said during & since the draft we play 2 LBs on the field around 75% of the game w/ 5 DBs. Our 2 LBs who are going to be on the field for 100% of the defensive snaps are Holcomb & Jamin Davis. It’s a reason why we weren’t major players in the FA market at LB and just re-signed the run stuffer Mayo to play that 25-30% of snaps on run downs & it’s a reason we didn’t take a LB in round 2. Now, what they should’ve done in the draft was take a depth MLB/SLB type in the mid to late rounds & they still need to sign a few of those types in FA so we have 5 of those types of LBs to go w/ Jamin & Hudson at WLB.

Also, Mathis was a good pick & could be a great pick. There’s no guarantee that we would’ve traded down & gotten Dean & then Mathis after him or whatever. Rivera in company put us in the position where getting a 3rd DT was one of our highest needs & they filled the need with a very good prospect. I wish they had re-signed Settle/restructured Ioannidis but, they didn’t so it is what it is.

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The questions regarding Nakobe Dean’s health mean that he may not ply much this year or have much of an impact. I do think that long term Dean was the right in round 2, but I’m not sure he’s going to have this great rookie season & be an answer at Lb for Phila’s defense this or year or he would’ve been for our savior at Lb like most people think.

Beyond that, as I’ve said during & since the draft we play 2 LBs on the field around 75% of the game w/ 5 DBs. Our 2 LBs who are going to be on the field for 100% of the defensive snaps are Holcomb & Jamin Davis. It’s a reason why we weren’t major players in the FA market at LB and just re-signed the run stuffer Mayo to play that 25-30% of snaps on run downs & it’s a reason we didn’t take a LB in round 2. Now, what they should’ve done in the draft was take a depth MLB/SLB type in the mid to late rounds & they still need to sign a few of those types in FA so we have 5 of those types of LBs to go w/ Jamin & Hudson at WLB.

Also, Mathis was a good pick & could be a great pick. There’s no guarantee that we would’ve traded down & gotten Dean & then Mathis after him or whatever. Rivera in company put us in the position where getting a 3rd DT was one of our highest needs & they filled the need with a very good prospect. I wish they had re-signed Settle/restructured Ioannidis but, they didn’t so it is what it is.

Until Dean can't hit the field please stop excusing that we passed on him. 

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

Pass defense was a real weakness last year and I'm not sure they did enough to improve that in the off-season. 

That's probably why I was very happy with the pick of S Percy Butler.

He was the 2nd fastest Safety in the draft at 4.36/40 & plays fast as well.

I'm really hoping he's starting at FS, with Cam Curl at SS. That will be huge in defending the long ball for us.

• Like 1

Defense.  The defense was supposed to lead the team last year and failed.  We won 7 games in spite of our defense, not because of it.  The same is true of this year.  

There is plenty of talent to work with. Either JDR recognizes his failures and adjusts or we struggle again.

2 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Worried about both. 
In particular the QB, Pass Rush which will dictate how the defense will play. 

Unless JDR becomes more inventive - He needs to go . Corner blitzes can be a great weapon . We hardly ever use it . Safeties blitzing the middle, DE's at tackle, stunts , loops. We seem so Vanilla when I think about the Rams style/ defense . 

• Like 1

As a Whole it's prob the offense as I don't know how much of it is going to pan out
Will Wentz work at QB
Will we be able to  find the right balance between the 3 HBS?
After Terry who going to be the #2 or #3 does Dotson have a good rookie season,does Brown get better, can Curtis stay healthy, is Cam Sims a better fit for Wentz then any of the fore mentions, can Erikson or Milne get some slot work in?
TE who steps up if Logan can't go to start the year, Bates seemed nice at end of season can he step up, will Big Cole Turner be more then a Y TE,is Sammis ever going to be something more then a project?

• Like 1

I'm wayyyyyy more worried about D over O.

Even if Wentz isn't playing well, I believe we can lean on the running game with Gibson, McKissic, Patterson & now Robinson.

Sure, we may not win a bunch a games in this scenario, but they could possibly eat the clock out so we don't get embarrassed. Lol

Our Defense last year looked like a butterknife cutting through microwaved cream cheese. 

This Defense on paper, should be top 10 in the NFL.

Heck, even EA Sports/Madden22 has the oddasity to give our front 4 ridiculous ratings. Chase Young/X-factor, Sweat & Allen Superstar & Payne Star in development traits. They look like the fearsome foresome (Rams) in Madden.

Then, when you watch them on TV, they look like the 4 Musketeers giving each other reach arounds.

I better see the fearsome foresome this yr! 🔥