Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I am working on a Mock right now and have has brining in 20 new players next offseason to get us to being competitive...I thought that was alot so I went and checked of the current roster how many guys are in their first year here...the answer? 15 on offence...18 on defence...1 on special teams...with that turnover no wonder things aren't close to clicking even before we talk about how some of these guys flat out lack talent...Pace really did leave us in a bad way and Poles is cleaning up the mess right now.

Better question… how many guys did Poles add this past offseason that should be counted on as starters next year?

We essentially did nothing this year outside of Gordon and Brisker.

Poles has a ton of work to do in 2023.

Edited by WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

Better question… how many guys did Poles add this past offseason that should be counted on as starters next year?

We essentially did nothing this year outside of Gordon and Brisker.

I wouldn't disagree but I think that only goes to show how bad this thing was when he came here...we replaced a lot of ineffective players with different ineffective players...at least these guys were cheap and not on long term contracts...ton of work to do in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I wouldn't disagree but I think that only goes to show how bad this thing was when he came here...we replaced a lot of ineffective players with different ineffective players...at least these guys were cheap and not on long term contracts...ton of work to do in the offseason.

But, imagine a world where some of the players we added are not ineffective?

We signed 6 guys to multi year or multi million dollar deals and you could cut all of them next year and have no issue.

Poles took over a messy situation and did little to actually start rebuilding it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

But, imagine a world where some of the players we added are not ineffective?

We signed 6 guys to multi year or multi million dollar deals and you could cut all of them next year and have no issue.

Poles took over a messy situation and did little to actually start rebuilding it.

That's just not the case thought...it's like saying start building a new house on land where you still have half a house standing...the first part of this rebuild was getting rid of some of the inflated contracts we had given out...year 1 was always going to be tough...year 2 gives him the flexibility with the roster & resources he has to start building.

32 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Making a bad roster worse is certainly an accomplishment.

I would take this years roster over last years every time…especially given the difference in cost…again no one expected us to be good…this is the rest year…next year is where we still start to see the benefits.

21 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would take this years roster over last years every time…especially given the difference in cost…again no one expected us to be good…this is the rest year…next year is where we still start to see the benefits.

But we can call a spade a spade.

He didn’t add much this year.

Tearing a roster down is easy. Adding talent on a budget is more challenging and he failed to do that in most areas.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

That's just not the case thought...it's like saying start building a new house on land where you still have half a house standing...the first part of this rebuild was getting rid of some of the inflated contracts we had given out...year 1 was always going to be tough...year 2 gives him the flexibility with the roster & resources he has to start building.

We spent money and draft picks this offseason… we added very little of consequences with those resources.

There is always a building portion of the offseason, even if you aren’t going spend crazy, and we did next to nothing with it.

Which means next year we have to do an incredible amount of roster turnover again. Wouldn’t it have been nice to add 5-6 guys who could at least fill roles competently heading into next season?

Edited by WindyCity

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But we can call a spade a spade.

He didn’t add much this year.

Tearing a roster down is easy. Adding talent on a budget is more challenging and he failed to do that in most areas.

No he didn’t add much…but again that is but design…he clearly didn’t want to spend any real money anywhere to allow himself the flexibility to do it this offseason and build this thing right.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We spent money and draft picks this offseason… we added very little of consequences with those resources.

There is always a building portion of the offseason, even if you aren’t going spend crazy, and we did next to nothing with it.

Which means next year we have to do an incredible amount of roster turnover again. Wouldn’t it have been nice to add 5-6 guys who could at least fill roles competently heading into next season?

We spent a very limited amount of money and didn’t even have all our draft picks this year…

And I wouldn’t add anyone if I didn’t think they were the right guys…Poles has spoken about being selective…why spend big on guys you don’t trust? I think we saw he would spend money on Larry-O but when that fell through he clearly changed tactics to low cost rentals…again not a bad thing…this offseason we need to see him use his resources to add playmakers and better linemen above all else…time will tell if he can but we will have to be patient and watch it unfold.

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We chose to spend a very limited amount of money and didn’t even have all our draft picks this year…

And I wouldn’t add anyone if I didn’t think they were the right guys…Poles has spoken about being selective…why spend big on guys you don’t trust? I think we saw he would spend money on Larry-O but when that fell through he clearly changed tactics to low cost rentals…again not a bad thing…this offseason we need to see him use his resources to add playmakers and better linemen above all else…time will tell if he can but we will have to be patient and watch it unfold.

Most of the rentals have sucked. just because they are not big money signings doesn’t mean they have to be throw aways.

I also fixed the first sentence for you.

Edited by WindyCity

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Most of the rentals have sucked. just because they are not big money signings doesn’t mean they have to be throw aways.

I also fixed the first sentence for you.

I wouldn’t say they have all sucked…have they been good on every snap? No…but you get what you pay for…most of these guys got back up money and will be just that next season.