Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

Not great any way you look at it. 

If he really thought the offense was going to be competent enough to accurately evalutate anyone but the backs, he was very mistaken.  After this offseason the fear was that it the O would be bad but so completely that everyone/anyone was to blame, and that seems like it's happening at least so far. 

If he really pulled an "oops, we're tank" move I don't thnk that'll go far with George, and probably wiped out any honeymoon period.  If you look at the talent he added-and tried to add-on defense, the performance on D was probably going to steal a couple wins so what was the point of all that?

Aside from clearing the accounting books,  it's not a particularly coherent plan, and really makes this year a waste in lots of ways. I suppose you have the making of a nice secondary, but what other group would you say is going to be helping this yeam when they're supposedly contending in a couple years?

Feels far more likely that by 2025 we're through two QBs and hunting for a new staff  again, than we're stable on talent and finances and always in the playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

A Byron Pringle injury should not crater your WR core... I do not care where in a rebuild you are.

This is inherently the problem. It's not that Pringle is a failed signing (we just don't have enough data points at this stage to establish that) it's that the entire WR core has been awful. Like pre Super Bowl era awful. Like, please sign Kendall Wright to save the day awful.

Edited by Bigbear72
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I think he realized this roster sucked and he knows he needs premium picks and cap space to fix it & the only way out was to suck for a year or two. He didn't have to field the worst OL and WR group possible in the mean time though

Because if your theory is Poles did his absolute best to win this year, oooof it's going to be a long 3-4 years

This like the first time we agreed haha.....that was my point, this wasnt a man who had all his cap space, this was a guy waiting to totally clear all the books and have a full draft.

Honestly this year shouldnt even count since he lost alot of picks and I think we had the MOST dead money in the league. He just slapped together a team. Brisker and Jones are kind of cool enough for me. Even Gordon as a NB looks good even though he hasnt lived up to the outside.

We all knew it was a rebuild, and then when it was a rebuild we all freaked out haha. The evaluation starts with his 1st, 1st rounder and full cap space

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Whole lotta these takes look pretty rough after tonight

And they will likely look good again after Dallas. 

I still think this offseason on offense was a dud. We are seeing Fields make special plays, especially with his legs, to overcome weaknesses.

I just wonder if we would be seeing an even more clear ascension of Fields with moderately better talent.

I thought the coaching on offense today was the major change. That offense looked vastly different than 10 days ago….which may be the most positive sign. This offensive talent cannot execute that traditional drop back game that they were trying to do.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Whole lotta these takes look pretty rough after tonight

Honestly they don't imo. Lets see how well they can sustain good play before pumping them up too much.

Through 6 games they average 15.5 ppg. Having a banger of a game still only puts them up to 18ppg. Hell last week they literally put up 7 points for the entire game. Fields in 7 games has 5 passing TDs and 6 INTs,and only averaging 150 passing yards per game. If it wasn't for Fields being on some Lamar Jackson **** then today's score is drastically different.

I'm gonna take this as a great game by 90% of the players, Fields played like a young franchise QB, and the coaches did the best job they have all year. It's one game only, but it was a hell of a game.

• Like 2

What takes? That the OL and WR groups are deficient?  Fields played out of his mind hero ball with his legs, and a pretty good game through the air, plus our backs did great. If anything, this should just make you wonder how things would look with better pass pro and dudes to get open and take the ball.  Only thing tonight would have me reconsidering is Getsy; he's had some cool plays but calls an inconsistent game. Tonight he generally made a lot of sense, really trusted Fields on the runs and went with what was working and changed when he needed to.   I had an absolute blast with this game after feeling glum that I committed to staying up, it was a good time,  doesn't change the issues this team has but I sure am going to enjoy it. Only thing that could ice the cake would be if Aaron Rodgers was playing like dog****. Oh. Wait.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

What takes?

Really? You think what you and many others have posted in here the past week+ arent alittle overboard?

Id say a thorough domination of the Patriots, on both sides of the ball, on the road, in a prime time game shows that this isnt some bottom of the barrel team. But please, if you still think thats the case, Id love to hear you guys try to keep up that narrative

Again, this is not sayin the Bears are a good team, or that Poles hasnt left holes, or hasnt made mistakes. But there is a chasm between a "not good" team and the "pitifully awful" team that many were trying to label us as, as recent as 24 hours ago

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Really? You think what you and many others have posted in here the past week+ arent alittle overboard?

Id say a thorough domination of the Patriots, on both sides of the ball, on the road, in a prime time game shows that this isnt some bottom of the barrel team. But please, if you still think thats the case, Id love to hear you guys try to keep up that narrative

Again, this is not sayin the Bears are a good team, or that Poles hasnt left holes, or hasnt made mistakes. But there is a chasm between a "not good" team and the "pitifully awful" team that many were trying to label us as, as recent as 24 hours ago

Here's what I'll say: these aren't "takes." Either Poles is trying to stink to increase the talent level through the draft and free agency, or what he fielded this year is actually what he thinks is a competitive roster. If it's the former, we're right that they suck. If it's the latter, we're all in for a long 3years (as I said in another thread). NE has beaten Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Detroit. Impressive and completely unexpected win? Sure, but these aren't your father's Patriots. Their roster is pretty bad.

Are you truly arguing that the Bears aren't a "not good" team?

Edited by beardown3231

18 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

f*** this guy

do you honestly want your decision maker to question his long-term decisions this quickly after making them tho? i'd honestly be more upset if he was like "yeah, i super screwed up. totally don't know what i'm doing here"

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

do you honestly want your decision maker to question his long-term decisions this quickly after making them tho? i'd honestly be more upset if he was like "yeah, i super screwed up. totally don't know what i'm doing here"

"We tried to address everything the best we could considering the circumstances. Are there some spots that we wish we could have a re-do? Of course but we'll continue to explore all avenues to improve the team" would suffice. Don't double down on being a jackass