Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

"We tried to address everything the best we could considering the circumstances. Are there some spots that we wish we could have a re-do? Of course but we'll continue to explore all avenues to improve the team" would suffice. Don't double down on being a jackass

So because he didn't say it exactly how you wanted him to, he's a jackass?

"“We’re always going to be active in terms of making phone calls, or picking up the phone, and just seeing if that’s something that can improve our team, and if it makes sense for us not only now一 because I’ve always talked about this, it’s sustaining success over a long period of time, not just this short fix all the time."

Here's his quote after the quick question and answer. I mean, that is basically the second half of what you wanted him to say. I also don't think it's necessary to even say the first sentence of your made up quote. "we tried to address everything the best we could" - again, that's a given. he shouldn't have to say in an impromptu press conference "we tried our best." that makes him sound like a kid that got an F on a math quiz and that was his answer when his parents were upset with him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

"We tried to address everything the best we could considering the circumstances. Are there some spots that we wish we could have a re-do? Of course but we'll continue to explore all avenues to improve the team" would suffice. Don't double down on being a jackass

You can't say that in the middle of the season and then expect those people to even attempt to perform for you afterwards. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

You can't say that in the middle of the season and then expect those people to even attempt to perform for you afterwards. 

Were they attempting before? Because it sure didn't appear that way

For the record, I didn't expect him to single out a few players or positions. 

19 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

So because he didn't say it exactly how you wanted him to, he's a jackass?

"“We’re always going to be active in terms of making phone calls, or picking up the phone, and just seeing if that’s something that can improve our team, and if it makes sense for us not only now一 because I’ve always talked about this, it’s sustaining success over a long period of time, not just this short fix all the time."

Here's his quote after the quick question and answer. I mean, that is basically the second half of what you wanted him to say. I also don't think it's necessary to even say the first sentence of your made up quote. "we tried to address everything the best we could" - again, that's a given. he shouldn't have to say in an impromptu press conference "we tried our best." that makes him sound like a kid that got an F on a math quiz and that was his answer when his parents were upset with him. 

Do I think I would have said what I did if I saw the entire quote? I saw that tweet and that's what prompted me to post it

And I don't believe "we tried to address everything the best we could" is a given. I don't believe signing ESB and Pettis was the best he could've done. I don't think signing Schofield and Patrick was the best he could've done for the OL

No one asked for an impromptu presser. He volunteered and gave one. They asked about WR and OL and that was his answer

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Are you truly arguing that the Bears aren't a "not good" team?

I just said they are a "not good" team... not sure what you are trying to get at here.

But we are not terrible, and we dont stink. Teams that stink dont do what we just did last night. And we did it without either of our "Top" weapon additions from the offseason (who were likely mistakes), and our most reliable Lineman.

We absolutely should have beat the Commanders, we could have beat the Vikings, and possibly the worst game we played this year (@NYG) we were in for most of the game. 

Good teams should expect to contend for the playoffs. Terrible teams should expect to have a Top 3 pick. We arent in either one of those camps.

I believe we have a very good defensive scheme, with a hand full of talented players and a bunch of replacement level guys filling it out. I believe we have a gifted QB, who has alot to learn and prove, but can carry an offense as long as its tailored to his skillset. Its flawed team, not a terrible team

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Were they attempting before? Because it sure didn't appear that way

For the record, I didn't expect him to single out a few players or positions. 

Honestly, he really can't single out a player or really make a blanket statement implying that. Not because it makes it look like he is not taking ownership but because of:

1. Team chemistry. You don't want to upset the locker room anymore than it is and have the coaches lose the team in their first year.

2. If he calls out or implies that his free agent signings suck it makes it more difficult to sign free agents in the future. That would be professionally disrespectful. Free agents pay attention to how management treats their players. That is a very real thing.

3. Everyone can see the situation for what it is. How does saying "the players that I signed suck" change the situation? What positive for the team can come out of that? It may make you feel good and other fans feel good but it creates an absolutely toxic work environment.

5 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Honestly, he really can't single out a player or really make a blanket statement implying that. Not because it makes it look like he is not taking ownership but because of:

1. Team chemistry. You don't want to upset the locker room anymore than it is and have the coaches lose the team in their first year.

2. If he calls out or implies that his free agent signings suck it makes it more difficult to sign free agents in the future. That would be professionally disrespectful. Free agents pay attention to how management treats their players. That is a very real thing.

3. Everyone can see the situation for what it is. How does saying "the players that I signed suck" change the situation? What positive for the team can come out of that? It may make you feel good and other fans feel good but it creates an absolutely toxic work environment.

Common sense sometimes gets thrown out the window and people just love to complain I guess 🤷

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Honestly they don't imo. Lets see how well they can sustain good play before pumping them up too much.

Through 6 games they average 15.5 ppg. Having a banger of a game still only puts them up to 18ppg. Hell last week they literally put up 7 points for the entire game. Fields in 7 games has 5 passing TDs and 6 INTs,and only averaging 150 passing yards per game. If it wasn't for Fields being on some Lamar Jackson **** then today's score is drastically different.

I'm gonna take this as a great game by 90% of the players, Fields played like a young franchise QB, and the coaches did the best job they have all year. It's one game only, but it was a hell of a game.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed all week that Getsy doesn't pull a Nagy and deviates away from a game plan that is clearly working, at least for now, to show his offensive acuity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FosterTheSkins said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed all week that Getsy doesn't pull a Nagy and deviates away from a game plan that is clearly working, at least for now, to show his offensive acuity.

Definitely. This is the formula that works, and if the defense sells out to stop Fields' running guess what happens? Passing lanes open and single coverage occurs. 

BAL has done a wonderful job of using Jackson's feet to give him advantageous opportunities downfield. If he was forced to be a pure pocket passer then he wouldn't be near as effective, but Roman recognizes his ability and makes defenses focus on it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Really? You think what you and many others have posted in here the past week+ arent alittle overboard?

Id say a thorough domination of the Patriots, on both sides of the ball, on the road, in a prime time game shows that this isnt some bottom of the barrel team. But please, if you still think thats the case, Id love to hear you guys try to keep up that narrative

Again, this is not sayin the Bears are a good team, or that Poles hasnt left holes, or hasnt made mistakes. But there is a chasm between a "not good" team and the "pitifully awful" team that many were trying to label us as, as recent as 24 hours ago

Overboard?  Honestly, maybe?  But I still feel like this offense is incredibly low on talent, and that Poles should have added more.  I LOVED the Pats game,  still smiling, but does one game wipe out the bad? We've seen more games where the protection, receivers and QB take turns killing plays, and for many games it's looked worse than last year.  I agree that they're not a good team even if they played a great game the other night. As for the chasm's.  I can't really evaluate those tiers game to game.  I will say this: if the Bears O plays like that week in and week out, I'll be wrong, and that Poles gave the roster enough talent to evaluate Fields.

(and my evaluation will be that Fields is awesome and elevates mediocre talent)

Let's hope you're right!

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Overboard?  Honestly, maybe?  But I still feel like this offense is incredibly low on talent, and that Poles should have added more.  I LOVED the Pats game,  still smiling, but does one game wipe out the bad? We've seen more games where the protection, receivers and QB take turns killing plays, and for many games it's looked worse than last year.  I agree that they're not a good team even if they played a great game the other night. As for the chasm's.  I can't really evaluate those tiers game to game.  I will say this: if the Bears O plays like that week in and week out, I'll be wrong, and that Poles gave the roster enough talent to evaluate Fields.

(and my evaluation will be that Fields is awesome and elevates mediocre talent)

Let's hope you're right!

Bears and GB have comparable offensive talent this year.  Look how Rodgers is struggling.  

And GB's defense is better than Bears.

You could argue the offense did better because Fields forced Pats to concentrate on him as RB as well as QB which makes a huge difference.    You are no longer playing 10 on 11 in run game allowing an extra man in coverage.  Numbers are even up.   It opens up passing game.

But without more talent on offense it is difficult to run a more conventional NFL attack as we have seen and as we are seeing in GB.

Team matters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Bears and GB have comparable offensive talent this year.  Look how Rodgers is struggling.  

And GB's defense is better than Bears.

You could argue the offense did better because Fields forced Pats to concentrate on him as RB as well as QB which makes a huge difference.    You are no longer playing 10 on 11 in run game allowing an extra man in coverage.  Numbers are even up.   It opens up passing game.

But without more talent on offense it is difficult to run a more conventional NFL attack as we have seen and as we are seeing in GB.

Team matters.

I agree with what is said but I would clarify I need to see games like Monday or better happen on a more regular basis.  A one off  could just be the football gods setting us up for disappointment.

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Pre-season list of the top 2023 free agents: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-25-nfl-free-agents-in-2023-prospective-class-headlined-by-lamar-jackson-and-

Some of these guys have already signed extensions. Seems like there are some decent OL options. WR is definitely a weak class.

As long as we add quality vets in the trenches I would be thrilled...Jenkins/Bradbury on the OL & Payne/Ngakoue or Chubb on the DL would be an excellent start.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

As long as we add quality vets in the trenches I would be thrilled...Jenkins/Bradbury on the OL & Payne/Ngakoue or Chubb on the DL would be an excellent start.

Chubb is a great talent but I want nothing to do with him. He is never consistently healthy.

2 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Chubb is a great talent but I want nothing to do with him. He is never consistently healthy.

I think you have to take that into the evaluation when deciding what you pay him but he is a top-quality player when he is healthy...when we have money and resources then it is okay to take a risk on a player like that every now and then.