Ryan Poles general evaluation and opinions

JAF-N72EX

5 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Khalil Mack doesn't look as "washed" as a lot of Bear fans were saying this offseason.

Never has look "washed" IMO, just gets hurt too often. Even when his sack total wasn't great he still was elite vs the run and was 100% the focus of the OC. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Every single person pegged Muhammad as a no brainer signing immediately and never questioned it once. Those of you who are now trying to spin this as a bad move by Poles are showing your ***. 

There is plenty discussion to be had about his approach (although making a judgement on what was a clear rebuild year is asinine to me) but this isnt one of them.

Not moving Quinn this offseason is definitely a miss so far, but again, nearly all of you were against doing that, and I know that because it was the only topic I agreed with He Who Shall Not Be Named on, and we got told over and over how much we needed his veteran presence

Edited by StLunatic88

22 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Every single person pegged Muhammad as a no brainer signing immediately and never questioned it once. Those of you who are now trying to spin this as a bad move by Poles are showing your ***. 

There is plenty discussion to be had about his approach (although making a judgement on what was a clear rebuild year is asinine to me) but this isnt one of them.

Not moving Quinn this offseason is definitely a miss so far, but again, nearly all of you were against doing that, and I know that because it was the only topic I agreed with He Who Shall Not Be Named on, and we got told over and over how much we needed his veteran presence

So I keep hearing the point about Quinn and my question is this. Who was taking this guy? He has moved to multiple teams for a reason. He is, and I can not stress this enough, WILDLY INCONSISTANT in his production of the course of his career. And he is on the wrong side of 30. If I were a GM I 100% would not have traded for him strictly because of what we are seeing right now. Quinn is who he is. I need consistent production if I'm giving away assets to obtain a player. 

Career stats

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS
TD

Career

Hasn't been anywhere near close to consistent for years.

Edited by Bigbear72

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

So I keep hearing the point about Quinn and my question is this. Who was taking this guy? He has moved to multiple teams for a reason. He is, and I can not stress this enough, WILDLY INCONSISTANT in his production of the course of his career. And he is on the wrong side of 30. If I were a GM I 100% would not have traded for him strictly because of what we are seeing right now. Quinn is who he is. I need consistent production if I'm giving away assets to obtain a player. 

That was the exact reason I would have moved him. Ive been watching Quinn since he was a Ram, I knew this was coming.

Which is why I was saying that I would take almost anything for him (factoring in age/contract/history) but I believe people here said they wanted a 1st or an early 2nd for him. I was talking about a 4th back then.

Contending teams would have taken a chance on Quinn and made the contract work for a day 3 pick

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

That was the exact reason I would have moved him. Ive been watching Quinn since he was a Ram, I knew this was coming.

Which is why I was saying that I would take almost anything for him (factoring in age/contract/history) but I believe people here said they wanted a 1st or an early 2nd for him. I was talking about a 4th back then.

Contending teams would have taken a chance on Quinn and made the contract work for a day 3 pick

No, I understand why we should have moved him. My point is if we saw it coming, don't you think that the other teams' GMs saw it coming too? I think contending teams would have signed him if he got cut. I don't think they were trading for him. Again, the same reason we wanted to get rid of him is the same reason he wasn't traded.

28 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

No, I understand why we should have moved him. My point is if we saw it coming, don't you think that the other teams' GMs saw it coming too? I think contending teams would have signed him if he got cut. I don't think they were trading for him. Again, the same reason we wanted to get rid of him is the same reason he wasn't traded.

If people thought he was going to repeat anywhere near that Career High from last year, then yes the 1st/2nd round pick value would have been were we should be expecting.

But even regressing to where he should be expected (6/8 sack level) with the possibility of more impact on a better defense, is still worth it to trade a nearly valueless pick for 2022 to Playoff team.

He was never going to be cut, so that wasnt an option to those teams, we didnt need to clear cap space and he wasnt a malcontent. So if they wanted him, it would have to be a trade.

For me I was one of the loudest voices when it came to keeping Quinn because I knew how important pass rush was to this defence…your pretty much so dead in the water without it…clearly I was wrong to think Quinn could be at least a 8-10 sack guy who could help free up and teach some of these young guys because so far he has done next to nothing…this DL needs at least 2 new starting calibre players…

On the OL I think it is incredibly easy to see that before we even start to talk about weapons we need to get that group sorted…the Rams this year have shown just how obvious that is…I want at least 2 new veteran starters on the OL and probably a mid level back up as well…

You guys will have seen me say it time and time again…football comes down to 2 things…protect your QB…hit their QB…Poles needs to make that happen for us this coming offseason and hopefully he continues to work at it even through out the current season.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

For me I was one of the loudest voices when it came to keeping Quinn because I knew how important pass rush was to this defence…your pretty much so dead in the water without it…

Yea but the thing I always tried to bring up here is, this defense is more dependent on interior pressure than getting guys to bend the edge. You obviously need some of that too, but more so keep contained pressure and eliminate the pocket 

That’s all independent of Quinn’s decline 

Edited by StLunatic88

3 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

My point is if we saw it coming, don't you think that the other teams' GMs saw it coming too?

I’m not so sure. NFL teams have traded for Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, etc. NFL people are sometimes guilty of trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

I still think they should move Quinn for any draft pick they can get. And Roquan. And Montgomery. There’s little point in hanging onto these guys.

Just now, abstract_thought said:

I’m not so sure. NFL teams have traded for Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, etc. NFL people are sometimes guilty of trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

I still think they should move Quinn for any draft pick they can get. And Roquan. And Montgomery. There’s little point in hanging onto these guys.

The QB market is different though. And those are young QBs as opposed to an old Edge. I can't explain the fascination with Wentz. Maybe he is a warlock? I'm almost convinced that something supernatural is working in his favor. 

33 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yea but the thing I always tried to bring up here is, this defense is more dependent on interior pressure than getting guys to bend the edge. You obviously need some of that too, but more so keep contained pressure and eliminate the pocket 

That’s all independent of Quinn’s decline 

Of course that interior pressure is all important (as we saw last night) but we hadn’t done enough to warrant any sort of faith in that…Quinn was the closest thing to a “sure thing” we had…clearly didn’t work out like that.