Some owners discussing invoking forced forfeiture of Cowboys

pwny

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The NFL is so close to bottoming out.  I feel like if the Patriots win one more Super Bowl and then if there's a strike, it will reach MLB from a few years ago levels. 

Goodell needs to get fired.  Oversaturation of football.  Not ending the kneeling controversy when it started (there were ways of handling that that would have been sensitive to both viewpoints in which it wouldn't be an issue at all).  Politics in football (football is supposed to be a break from that), player "safety" rules changing the  very nature of the game.  A lack of talent.  A severe lack of QB talent.  Only a fake parity (how many teams legitimately have a shot at a Super Bowl each year). 

The NFL can't afford many more mistakes, and if the owners are in such disarray, there are going to be a lot more mistakes. 

Pretty harsh expecting the commissioner to be able to sort out the kneeling thing. Short of ending the social strain, not sure what he can do? 

Also, the lack of QB talent, surely that's on the colleges? 

The NFL is so close to bottoming out.  I feel like if the Patriots win one more Super Bowl and then if there's a strike, it will reach MLB from a few years ago levels. 

Goodell needs to get fired.  Oversaturation of football.  Not ending the kneeling controversy when it started (there were ways of handling that that would have been sensitive to both viewpoints in which it wouldn't be an issue at all).  Politics in football (football is supposed to be a break from that), player "safety" rules changing the  very nature of the game.  A lack of talent.  A severe lack of QB talent.  Only a fake parity (how many teams legitimately have a shot at a Super Bowl each year). 

The NFL can't afford many more mistakes, and if the owners are in such disarray, there are going to be a lot more mistakes. 

I don't see how much of this is Goodell's fault. I understand oversaturation of football, but most other issues?

He should have simply told teams to stay in the tunnel for the anthem like it used to be, that's the only remotely amicable solution to the kneeling cluster uck' that I can think of. Still, it could have backfired. I really think the kneeling issue is a problem with no good solution. Any commish would be in a pickle.

The politics in football stuff is pretty annoying, but right now politics is in EVERYTHING. I think this too would happen regardless of the commish.

Player safety is the biggest issue, he could have dealt with that better. That being said, there is no true way to stop the CTE and concussion epidemic short of moving to flag football. Its just the reality of this game. I don't think any rule change can make this game that much safer short of single use helmets that can dent and take the force of blows. Even that may not work.

The final issues you pointed out are outside the commish's wheelhouse. Parity cant be adjusted short of forcing players to sign with bad teams, or expelling Tom Brady for the league. On top of that, talent issues are college based. The game is so spread oriented that few OL and QB really develop a translatable game.

IDK, I think Goodell is a punchable faced man but we fans tend to blame the guy for everything. Which is natural, humans always blame the figurehead/leader but the reality of NFL's current struggles is a lot more complicated IMO.

7 hours ago, iPwn said:

As I said in the OP, this isn’t going to come to fruition. But the problem is that teams are even discussing this. There’s clearly a large scale divide between the two sides if Jones is looking to oust Goodell and some owners are looking to oust Jones. This could get really messy even if they don’t get to the point of attempting to force him out.

Eh, what proof does anyone have that owners are discussing this? Look at how Florio described it - a "league source." Sounds like the sort of description he usually slaps on stooges from the league office, frankly. You know, people with a pretty obvious reason to lie.

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

Eh, what proof does anyone have that owners are discussing this? Look at how Florio described it - a "league source." Sounds like the sort of description he usually slaps on stooges from the league office, frankly. You know, people with a pretty obvious reason to lie.

Exactly. I'm still waiting for Florio to produce that "video" of Dez assaulting a women in a Wal-mart parking lot. He's a mouthpiece for the NFL and when he gets told to leak something out, he does it. 

On 11/13/2017 at 3:09 PM, iPwn said:

As I said in the OP, this isn’t going to come to fruition. But the problem is that teams are even discussing this. There’s clearly a large scale divide between the two sides if Jones is looking to oust Goodell and some owners are looking to oust Jones. This could get really messy even if they don’t get to the point of attempting to force him out.

Do we have any proof this is actually being discussed? This seems pretty speculative and as far as I know no owner has actually admitted to this being an option. 

On 11/13/2017 at 11:02 PM, CKSteeler said:

My thoughts exactly. Like someone told Florio a "what if" scenario and he is running with it as a "its happening" scenario. Ill believe the hype when I see owners names being directly tied to quotes stating they have explored this option. Until then I feel like this is silly fear mongering.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:09 PM, iPwn said:

Florio also moved from insinuating that Jones may have played a part in convincing Papa John's to get involved to claiming other owners suspect his involved to now just declaring it as a fact in every post on the topic. And it hasn't been a mystery as to which way Florio leans on the anthem issue.

http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw0uGX8zY

The NFL sent a letter to Jerry Jones' attorney Wednesday laying the foundation to potentially remove Jones as owner of the Dallas Cowboys due to his ongoing sabotage of commissioner Roger Goodell's contract extension, as first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

The letter accuses Jones of meddling with Goodell's contract negotiations and describes the Cowboys owner's actions as "detrimental to the league's best interests."

The NFL's strong language implies it may consider punishing Jones for his actions under Section 8.13 of Article VIII of the NFL's Constitution & Bylaws, a possibility multiple owners have already discussed, Pro Football Talk previously reported.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Pretty harsh expecting the commissioner to be able to sort out the kneeling thing. Short of ending the social strain, not sure what he can do? 

Also, the lack of QB talent, surely that's on the colleges? 

It's in their rules. They took money from the military to have the players out there, standing for the anthem.

The NFL owners would be insane to try and force Jerry out. Between conduct issues off the field, the kneeling stuff, and the looming concussion/CTE payouts coming, they can't afford to lose any more popularity. And Jerry getting forced out would have devastating repercussions in NFL viewership.

Archived