Who will be the surprise QB of 2022?

brownie man

Just now, Forge said:

The "everyone hates baker" (as a player)  hyperbole is really weird. I feel like most people think he's a meh QB that probably fits in somewhere between 15-21. 

Probably true. I just think people are far too attached to last year, where he was for sure awful. That being said, the dude shouldn't have even been out there. He was practically crippled trying to play. I do think Deshaun Watson is a no-brainer step up in play, but I don't think it's by much. I've always maintained that Baker will settle into a top 12 QB role somewhere. I think Watson is probably around 7th-8th.

I think the Browns should have kept Baker and rolled the dice with Baker and more draft picks/cap space. I didn't hate the trade for Watson, but I'm not so sure they got significantly better at the QB spot this off-season. It's better than it was with Baker, but I think Baker and Watson are eventually viewed in the same "tier."

20 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Baker Mayfield will be a very good player for someone. Given the fact that everyone thinks he's utter garbage, I think he surprises a lot of people. I think he'd do very well in Carolina.

Thats if people can quit Sam Darnold who is inexplicably going into his 5th year as a starter despite never having a single good season in the NFL.

Definitely going with Goff. 

Once they ditched their OC and he got some chemistry with his weapons, he looked solid. 

Swift and Williams being healthy will help, and they're deep at RB. 

At WR....Chark, Reynolds, Williams, St. Brown, Raymond is enviable for most teams. That's a very good WR corps, and even if Raymond is overtaken by one of the other guys on the roster, that's still ridiculous depth. Cephus, I believe?

TE, Hockenson should rebound. No idea on depth guys, but add Hock with the WRs available and wow. 

OL, Sewell, Decker, Vaitai are a very nice base. I don't know much about Ragnow or their other OG. Still very solid if the first three play to their potential. 

Detroit's defense has some work to do, but their offense actually looks very very good on paper. 

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Probably true. I just think people are far too attached to last year, where he was for sure awful. That being said, the dude shouldn't have even been out there. He was practically crippled trying to play. I do think Deshaun Watson is a no-brainer step up in play, but I don't think it's by much. I've always maintained that Baker will settle into a top 12 QB role somewhere. I think Watson is probably around 7th-8th.

I think the Browns should have kept Baker and rolled the dice with Baker and more draft picks/cap space. I didn't hate the trade for Watson, but I'm not so sure they got significantly better at the QB spot this off-season. It's better than it was with Baker, but I think Baker and Watson are eventually viewed in the same "tier."

I mean, I have no way of really proving what I am saying is accurate either in regards to feeling that way. There may be quite a few people who think he truly does suck and I Just haven't noticed it... but I just haven't seen too many people say "well, Baker sucks" (well, you know, outside of game day threads where that's just the reaction any time a player of that caliber has a bad play)  when they really sit down and think about the quarterbacks across the league. There are a lot of bad QBs who are starters lol 

20 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Zach Wilson and Jameis will be pro bowlers. BOOK it.

In a conference with Mahomes, Herbert, Watson, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Wilson, Carr, Ryan, Tannehill, and then three sophomore QBs who either outplayed or has that same high potential in Mac, Mills, and Lawrence…you’re booking Wilson?

Anything’s possible. I think Wilson will be closer to the bottom QB in the conference than the best. I do like the Jets’ roster building, just not sure I trust Wilson.

4 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I wouldn't say "a bunch of solid recievers", he has Pittman and maybe Alec Pierce. But I do agree on Ryan.

In 2016, Matt Ryan threw TD passes to 14 different guys. Something like 21 different guys caught passes from him. They could all get open. I think in Indy, he has guys who can at least get open. And in Atlanta, there was 2 last year who could. Pitts and Patterson. He has way more options in Indy.  

The bigger thing is that he has a good OL in Indy. They haven't had an OL like what Indy has now over here in Atlanta since 2016.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats if people can quit Sam Darnold who is inexplicably going into his 5th year as a starter despite never having a single good season in the NFL.

Sam Darnold is basically Sam Bradford 2.0.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Pittman, Campbell, and Pierce are what you'd consider a good group?

With Carson Wentz throwing them the ball? No one is solid.

With Matt Ryan throwing them the ball, I think they could all have career years and look to be very productive. All about perspective. Those guys all fit what Ryan likes to do, which is put the ball in windows accurately and let the receivers make plays after the catch.

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

With Carson Wentz throwing them the ball? No one is solid.

With Matt Ryan throwing them the ball, I think they could all have career years and look to be very productive. All about perspective. Those guys all fit what Ryan likes to do, which is put the ball in windows accurately and let the receivers make plays after the catch.

None of those guys were very good with Phillip Rivers throwing them the ball either, it's an average group at best. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

In a conference with Mahomes, Herbert, Watson, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Wilson, Carr, Ryan, Tannehill, and then three sophomore QBs who either outplayed or has that same high potential in Mac, Mills, and Lawrence…you’re booking Wilson?

Anything’s possible. I think Wilson will be closer to the bottom QB in the conference than the best. I do like the Jets’ roster building, just not sure I trust Wilson.

Lamar Jackson was voted to the Pro Bowl with like 16 TDs and 13 INTs. I do NOT think Wilson will be a top 3 QB in the AFC. But the Pro Bowl isn't about being a top player in your conference, it's about perception. I think his improvement (I project him as a 24 TD 10 INT guy this year) combined with the big market appeal and the Jets being so starved for a QB will get him there. At least half of the guys you listed will actually be better than him though.