Grading the 2019 draft

Refugee

15 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

2019 is an A ... studs in Gary and Jenkins, and a potential standout in Savage.  That's enough for an A grade.

Yeah peoples opinions on good drafts are really odd. Two probowler talent level players and an average starter with a chance to be something more is an easy A. Keke, Holman, and Summers at least played some productive snaps at the back end of the draft with Summers still being a legit special teams body and emergency LB. Its an easy A to A- draft IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Yeah peoples opinions on good drafts are really odd. Two probowler talent level players and an average starter with a chance to be something more is an easy A. Keke, Holman, and Summers at least played some productive snaps at the back end of the draft with Summers still being a legit special teams body and emergency LB. Its an easy A to A- draft IMO. 

But they had 8 picks, shouldn't they have had 8 Pro Bowlers? 2 is only 25%, that is an F for sure. #Gutessucks #FireGutes    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The chances of finding a guy who will start games on his second contract in each round is about:

1st: 50%

2nd: 25%

3rd: 12%

4th: 10%

5th-7th: 8%

On average you should get about 1.21 second contract starters from a draft class. 

This draft got us 3, 2 of which are studs, 1 of whom is a stud at a premium. We killed it.

+

If you don't like that way of looking at things, compare the draft classes. We had, at worst, the 4th best draft.

Median grade should be a C. That means there should be 6.4 teams in each letter grade.

6 A's

6 B's

7 C's

7 D's

6 F's

The #4 spot falls pretty easily into that A classification. 

+

Coming up with a means of evaluating this draft that isn't an A is very difficult. 

Where did you find the odds of getting a second contract player?

20 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

You guys on crack or got really unrealistic expectations of a draft if you don't think this was a class draft!!!

Yeah it seems like people grade a draft on what's theoretically possible at a 0.1% chance (selecting a pro bowler at each pick). By that metric no one has a great draft. If you compare our draft to the other 31 teams, we had a great draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

But they had 8 picks, shouldn't they have had 8 Pro Bowlers? 2 is only 25%, that is an F for sure. #Gutessucks #FireGutes    

FireGute.com

(I used to own that website, not kidding)

Should I bring it back? Lol

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

Where did you find the odds of getting a second contract player?

Guessing they are estimations. Using 2017 as an example, there were five 5th rounders, four 6th rounders and one 7th rounder. That is 10 of 108 picks, a 9.25% rate which I think is higher than most years for late round picks.  

12 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Not one mention of how we should have drafted McLaurin instead of Stoneburner?

The draft gets an F and all of your grades get an F as well.

It was mentioned in the very first post.

F your F!  

11 minutes ago, Refugee said:

It was mentioned in the very first post.

F your F!  

Did anyone mention mclaurin over Sternberger yet? I found out yesterday on Wikipedia that we could have drafted him yesterday, even though I had no idea who he was the day of the draft, but what a huge mistake that I am definitely the first person to have ever talked about.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Norm said:

Did anyone mention mclaurin over Sternberger yet? I found out yesterday on Wikipedia that we could have drafted him yesterday, even though I had no idea who he was the day of the draft, but what a huge mistake that I am definitely the first person to have ever talked about.

I said that we should have taken McLaurin in the draft thread.  Go back and read the entire thing, it is there. 

I think a good team drafts well every year and then loses a few players for $$ reasons every year. Then they get two comp picks every year like TT seemed to do. 

With the 9 picks you get each year, 4 players makes in an A. But if they’re all MVS level players maybe it’s a B. 

3 players is either an A or a B depending on quality of players. 

2 players is a B or a C depending on quality of players.

1 player could be a B- or a D depending on quality of player. 

We got three players. One is an injured pro bowler. The next is an up and coming pro bowler. The third has a chance to be a pro bowler some day. It’s close to an A, but more like a B or B+. 

Thompsons first draft was an A. A HOF QB, a star safety and Poppinga. That’s what an A draft looks like. This draft is below the best and therefor not an A. 

Edited by JordanLoveFTW