Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

25 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Saleh came out and said JFM will play EDGE in base and slide inside on passing downs. He’s the Armstead/Bennett of the defense.

I think that's a mistake. You can cross off JJ making much of an impact then this season.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think that's a mistake. You can cross off JJ making much of an impact then this season.

I mean they’re all gonna rotate either way. I’m sure there will be times when Johnson is in the base package and the sub package. We have a lot of depth. 

A quick question about the Jets poor run D between the tackles.  How much of an effect did our LB's contribute to that poor run D last year?  I ask only because we had a great run stuffer with Fats last year and he did not play as well as previous years.  Saleh seems to like penetrating iDL as opposed to large immovable iDL.  Are the LB's supposed to make those tackles up the gut?

Also, I want to see what Marshall can do.  I forget about him sometimes.

1 minute ago, xrade said:

A quick question about the Jets poor run D between the tackles.  How much of an effect did our LB's contribute to that poor run D last year?  I ask only because we had a great run stuffer with Fats last year and he did not play as well as previous years.  Saleh seems to like penetrating iDL as opposed to large immovable iDL.  Are the LB's supposed to make those tackles up the gut?

I think a few factors played into that. Our secondary wasn't good last year. So we needed our LBs and Ss to cover more than we wanted. Which impacts the rush D. The whole secondary has pretty much been revamped, so now the LB and even Ss can drop down more and run stuff. It will also help having all these guys on the DL in the system for a whole other season to understand run and pass rush D. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think a few factors played into that. Our secondary wasn't good last year. So we needed our LBs and Ss to cover more than we wanted. Which impacts the rush D. The whole secondary has pretty much been revamped, so now the LB and even Ss can drop down more and run stuff. It will also help having all these guys on the DL in the system for a whole other season to understand run and pass rush D. 

This is true and I was not necessarily blaming the LB's because of the poor secondary play.  I guess I was just trying to point out that Saleh does not rely on big run stuffing DT's which some people believe we need.  Not so much on this board but others.  I was curious about other people's opinions.  It will be interesting to see if this approach works.  It will also help to have an O that could put points on the board and keep teams from becoming too run oriented to run out the clock which usually started around 4 minutes into the game.

4 hours ago, xrade said:

In this scheme the linebackers have to be quick to fill the gaps in the run game. 

19 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Wait never mind 

idk it’s getting confusing 

Very well might be as I said that they “want” JFM inside. But that’s pending on the other DEs showing they’re starting quality 4 deep to rotate in. Lawson, JJ are locks to make the team. Anyone after that has to earn there spot. Huff is the most talented of the rest, so cutting him would be a mistake. Martin we just signed, so can’t see us cutting him. Curry is cuttable. And Clemons is very raw. So if 4 guys between Lawson, JJ, Huff, Martin, Curry, Clemons can prove they’re worthy of getting snaps at DE regularly at a high level. I think we feel confident in moving JFM inside more.

But as I said…. He has to stuff the run. Now there’s a lot that is helping him in this. DE play will be better at stopping the run. Q should only be getting better. LBs can focus on shooting gaps rather than cover so much. Ss working down more bc we have more confidence in our CB play. 

How do you guys have this roster stacking up against the rest of the league? To me, playoffs should be a realistic expectation based on talent alone. We haven't had this combination of skill and continuity since 2010. This is a legitimate group on paper -- there's a difference between being young and talent and just young, the former shouldn't warrant the excuses of years past. 

RB: Top 10
WR: 10-15
OL: Top 10
TE: 10-15
DL: 10-15 (w/ upside)
LB: 15-20 (Depth/Importance is mitigated by scheme, Mosley with Kwon/Quincy should be solid)
DB: 15-20 (w/ upside)

Obviously a lot rides on the development of Wilson and to a lesser extent Saleh, and sure, probably still a year away from hitting stride, but this is a team on paper that should be playing meaningful games in December. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Very well might be as I said that they “want” JFM inside. But that’s pending on the other DEs showing they’re starting quality 4 deep to rotate in. Lawson, JJ are locks to make the team. Anyone after that has to earn there spot. Huff is the most talented of the rest, so cutting him would be a mistake. Martin we just signed, so can’t see us cutting him. Curry is cuttable. And Clemons is very raw. So if 4 guys between Lawson, JJ, Huff, Martin, Curry, Clemons can prove they’re worthy of getting snaps at DE regularly at a high level. I think we feel confident in moving JFM inside more.

But as I said…. He has to stuff the run. Now there’s a lot that is helping him in this. DE play will be better at stopping the run. Q should only be getting better. LBs can focus on shooting gaps rather than cover so much. Ss working down more bc we have more confidence in our CB play. 

For me it’s more of the situational stuff that matters. 

on 3rd and 2 is JFM inside or do we go heavy across the board?

on 3rd and 5 I think we all wants Lawson/Q/JFM/Johnson when it counts.