Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

29 minutes ago, xrade said:

Not a shock since Fant played well there last year.  But Saleh stating that Becton's LT days are over (according to Rotoworld), makes me wonder why he may not view Becton as a LT when Fant is gone which may be after this season.

That was not accurate.  The quote was his LT days are "not" over yet.  Beat writers corrected themselves recently.

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Nope. Mims was destroying the defense in team drills.

This is a tough spot assuming he balls out that is.  If he looks great in TC and someone gets desperate and offers up a 4th do you pull the trigger or do you keep him around for next season when he could fill the Corey Davis role?  The top 4 are set, Jeff Smith is a special teamer so he has value as a #5.  Do they keep 6 WRs though as insurance for injury and only give him limited snaps?  

I think the best bit is to move on even he he plays well (hopefully an early 4th from CHI maybe).  Use that pick in an area of greater need (ILB, S, OL depth, etc). 

21 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

This is a tough spot assuming he balls out that is.  If he looks great in TC and someone gets desperate and offers up a 4th do you pull the trigger or do you keep him around for next season when he could fill the Corey Davis role?  The top 4 are set, Jeff Smith is a special teamer so he has value as a #5.  Do they keep 6 WRs though as insurance for injury and only give him limited snaps?  

I think the best bit is to move on even he he plays well (hopefully an early 4th from CHI maybe).  Use that pick in an area of greater need (ILB, S, OL depth, etc). 

I think you keep him. He still has this year and next year where he's under a very reasonable contract. If Davis or Wilson go down as outside WRs, Mims I'd imagine slides in for either of them, not Smith. I'd expect us to mainly run with Moore, Berrios and whoever of the 2 outside guys that's healthy as the main set. But with Mims' size and all he fits the mold for us better if he's balling out in camp. I feel like keeping Smith over Mims would be a big mistake. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think you keep him. He still has this year and next year where he's under a very reasonable contract. If Davis or Wilson go down as outside WRs, Mims I'd imagine slides in for either of them, not Smith. I'd expect us to mainly run with Moore, Berrios and whoever of the 2 outside guys that's healthy as the main set. But with Mims' size and all he fits the mold for us better if he's balling out in camp. I feel like keeping Smith over Mims would be a big mistake. 

Smith's value is in his special teams play.  He's a very reliable gunner for us so when you don't do much in terms of snaps at the WR position you need to do something else which Smith does and Mims doesn't.  We have depth with our without him.  It'll likely be Moore, Davis, Berrios with Wilson mixing in.  All of Davis, Moore, Wilson can play inside or outside.  Berrios is the only one kind of pigeon holed as a slot man.  

Guess it all depends on the offer really.  If it's a 3-4 I think they might bite.  If it's a 5-6 then having that added depth is a good thing given the injuries we had a WR last year.  With the TE room we have last year hopefully if we lose 1 or 2 guys we can still field a NFL caliber group of pass catchers.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Smith's value is in his special teams play.  He's a very reliable gunner for us so when you don't do much in terms of snaps at the WR position you need to do something else which Smith does and Mims doesn't.  We have depth with our without him.  It'll likely be Moore, Davis, Berrios with Wilson mixing in.  All of Davis, Moore, Wilson can play inside or outside.  Berrios is the only one kind of pigeon holed as a slot man.  

Guess it all depends on the offer really.  If it's a 3-4 I think they might bite.  If it's a 5-6 then having that added depth is a good thing given the injuries we had a WR last year.  With the TE room we have last year hopefully if we lose 1 or 2 guys we can still field a NFL caliber group of pass catchers.

The other side of this… is maybe Mims can be a gunner. Or I mean we have 6 CBS who are talented that can be gunners too.

My point being is that I don’t think the reason for keeping Smith over Mims should be based on ST. A 5th WR and being the only guy with size after Davis should help him. I mean we saw how fast WRs down the depth chart can be regular starters in this league bc it’s a position you’re regularly playing 4-5 guys.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

6 WRs is hardly a full WR room. The real problem would be if Davis, Wilson, Moore, Mims, and Berrios are all deserving of being on the field any time we are on offense - which is a good problem to have IMO.

But really this is training camp and Mims doesn't seem to be working with the starters. I'm not going to hold my breath until the season starts.

Edited by NJerseypaint

9 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

6 WRs is hardly a full WR room. The real problem would be if Davis, Wilson, Moore, Mims, and Berrios are all deserving of being on the field any time we are on offense - which is a good problem to have IMO.

But really this is training camp and Mims doesn't seem to be working with the starters. I'm not going to hold my breath until the season starts.

As a fan base what we should hope is that he barely plays. But that stands for any WR after Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios. But injuries and such happen. But ideally those 4 guys can stay healthy and be available for a whole season to where the 5th and 6th guys are rarely on the field.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

As a fan base what we should hope is that he barely plays. But that stands for any WR after Davis, Moore, Wilson and Berrios. But injuries and such happen. But ideally those 4 guys can stay healthy and be available for a whole season to where the 5th and 6th guys are rarely on the field.

I won't hope for a Jet not to turn into a stud. If that's what happens and it's an FO headache, I'll gladly take it. I'm just not on the Mims train until I see it on the field.

Mims sucks. I don't care what reports come out of TC. They are making him look good to net a 4th round pick. The Bears are a team that will probably trade for him. The time to move him is now. He has 2 years left on his rookie deal so he is still cheap. Keeping him why down on the depth chart is a joke. The guy has nothing to offer but an average WR at best. Get that pick and move on. This is alomst the same situation as Harry from the Pats. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

They are making him look good to net a 4th round pick.

The media is making Mims look good so the Jets can get a 4th round pick? Or the Quarterbacks are forcing him the ball so he can get a 4th round pick? Or Mims is doing his best so we can get a 4th round pick? 

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The media is making Mims look good so the Jets can get a 4th round pick? Or the Quarterbacks are forcing him the ball so he can get a 4th round pick? Or Mims is doing his best so we can get a 4th round pick? 

Was this the same media that said he was tearing it up last year too? 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Mims sucks. I don't care what reports come out of TC. They are making him look good to net a 4th round pick. The Bears are a team that will probably trade for him. The time to move him is now. He has 2 years left on his rookie deal so he is still cheap. Keeping him why down on the depth chart is a joke. The guy has nothing to offer but an average WR at best. Get that pick and move on. This is alomst the same situation as Harry from the Pats. 

Man this league would be 1/4 of the size if every team gave up on players as fast as some of you do.

• Like 1