Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Saleh wouldn’t comment on what our stating WR group will look like. I’d have to imagine Davis and Moore are for sure starters. But Wilson is probably going to have to beat out Berrios this summer to be a regular starter. For him to do that he’s going to have to learn the playbook at all WR positions. 

He will, he is too talented to not be out there. Is it too much to ask for our WRs to just stay healthy this season? The injuries last season at WR were decimating, injuries are part of football but normal teams don't have the amount of injuries we had. 

10 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I mean its only June but it sounds like Zach Wilson still sucks lol.

meh, he had a "good practice" then a not so good one. From what is being said, he looks more decisive and confident in the offense.  I don't really care about practice, lets see what he does in games. 

20 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I mean its only June but it sounds like Zach Wilson still sucks lol.

Yup I think we have fools gold here. From what I have seen and read he has had a lot more bad practices and throws than good ones. I keep saying "I hope I'm wrong." but Zach just keeps proving my point. I just hope we don't hold on too long with Zach if he sucks. If he sucks this year YOU HAVE TO MOVE ON!!!! I'm tried of the excuses and all Jet fans should be. Zach comes out and pulls a BS start again move on. I just have that feeling we are going to be like 0-6 and Zach is like 5 TD to 12 INT's. Then the excuces come out all over again. 

33 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yup I think we have fools gold here. From what I have seen and read he has had a lot more bad practices and throws than good ones. I keep saying "I hope I'm wrong." but Zach just keeps proving my point. I just hope we don't hold on too long with Zach if he sucks. If he sucks this year YOU HAVE TO MOVE ON!!!! I'm tried of the excuses and all Jet fans should be. Zach comes out and pulls a BS start again move on. I just have that feeling we are going to be like 0-6 and Zach is like 5 TD to 12 INT's. Then the excuces come out all over again. 

If every team gave up on a rookie QB not playing great... there'd barely any NFL QBs.

Calm down

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If every team gave up on a rookie QB not playing great... there'd barely any NFL QBs.

Calm down

That is the problem. Why do you see the same teams at the top. The reason is they wait to long holding on to QB's. If you see nothing in that QB by the end of year two you have to move on. Bobby your going to tell me that if Wilson goes 0-6 and is 5 TD to 12 INT you still think he can be good?

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

That is the problem. Why do you see the same teams at the top. The reason is they wait to long holding on to QB's. If you see nothing in that QB by the end of year two you have to move on. Bobby your going to tell me that if Wilson goes 0-6 and is 5 TD to 12 INT you still think he can be good?

He would be benched and we would be in the market for a new QB.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

No what I think is he was a rookie QB from a smaller school and we all (at least I knew) that there would be a big learning curve. He had a lot of his WRs not in the lineup and no TEs. He also finished the year with minimal mistakes and appeared to learn alot from his mistakes early in the season. And this was when he had pretty much no weapons around him.

So in year 2 not only is he not a rookie anymore and has the 1st year adjustment. But he’s also in this system for another year where he’s not thinking too much. A QB that can just play and not think too much is a better QB. So that alone will make him better. We’ve upgraded the OL with Tomlinson and Becton coming back motivated. We have the best unknown RB duo in the league that will be around for at least 3 years in a star in Hall and a great back in Carter. We literally totally revamped the TE room with adding Uzo, Conklin and Ruckert. Everyone of them can be a weapon in this offense. We had no good TEs last year and now he has 3 good ones. And lastly WR. We have a healthy Davis who was on pace for a 1k 8td season. Moore who Wilson barely got to play with and was looking like a stud while Wilson was out before he got injured to end the season. Drafted a stud in Wilson at WR at 10 as a great do it all WR and we for once’s have depth at War with Berrios and Mims as the 4th and 5th guys if guys go down. The offense is totally revamped and set up to succeed.

Now these are all still really young players so I’m not expecting us to challenge BUF for the division. But I do expect us to be a tough team. Win winnable games and win a couple surprising games as well. I have us around the 8-9 mark. Which if we can even go 7-10… that’s a huge improvement. Especially with our schedule. 

To side with you a tad….. I get the frustration. Because we’ve never given any young QB we’ve had in nearly 20+ years a good surrounding cast. So it’s easy to just say I have no reason to believe in our young QB. And that’s bc we’ve never helped our young QBs. But JD gets it and has helped Wilson. He has 4-5 good WRs. 2 good RBs. 3 good TEs and a good OL. He’s set up to succeed. Now that doesn’t mean at 23yr old we should expect a 35td 8int season from him. Just need him to show he can play in this league. Which I’d give him a 85% chance of showing us.

• Like 1

I just don't expect what people expected out of a rookie QB from BYU here. No QB has to deal with the amount of injuries to WRs and OL that we had last season.  Then you have the fact that Wilson was playing against top level defenses while having Berrios as his #1. 

I know everyone is obsessed with analytics and now if a QB struggles year 1 they are automatically a bust, but there is context for the numbers.  I think the best thing we can do is have a really good run game next season with Breece Hall and Michael Carter. Take pressure off of Wilson.

But he is still the most talented QB we have had in the building in my time as a Jets fan, which is since 2002. I think the organization is doing things right to help him, he has some young talented WRs that he can bond with for years.  He is working hard and reportedly looks more comfortable and confident running the offense.  I feel much better about the development with him being year 2 in the same offense, not having to learn a new offense and with better players around him.

I also think that this is the most talented CB room we have had since Revis and Cromartie, so good on them for making plays as well. I just hope Zach puts it together because he has way too much talent.  "good" or "bad" practices, I don't put much stock into in June. Practices sometimes players are trying different things, its practice. Practice stats compiling to me is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

PFF doesn’t have much faith in Saleh

Until he proves he can coach its hard to say otherwise. He brought over a vanilla defense and we literally went further backwards. Also we always started flat and seldom made adjustments. The GM did his job. Pressure is on QB and HC now. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:52 PM, Bobby816 said:

No what I think is he was a rookie QB from a smaller school and we all (at least I knew) that there would be a big learning curve. He had a lot of his WRs not in the lineup and no TEs. He also finished the year with minimal mistakes and appeared to learn alot from his mistakes early in the season. And this was when he had pretty much no weapons around him.

So in year 2 not only is he not a rookie anymore and has the 1st year adjustment. But he’s also in this system for another year where he’s not thinking too much. A QB that can just play and not think too much is a better QB. So that alone will make him better. We’ve upgraded the OL with Tomlinson and Becton coming back motivated. We have the best unknown RB duo in the league that will be around for at least 3 years in a star in Hall and a great back in Carter. We literally totally revamped the TE room with adding Uzo, Conklin and Ruckert. Everyone of them can be a weapon in this offense. We had no good TEs last year and now he has 3 good ones. And lastly WR. We have a healthy Davis who was on pace for a 1k 8td season. Moore who Wilson barely got to play with and was looking like a stud while Wilson was out before he got injured to end the season. Drafted a stud in Wilson at WR at 10 as a great do it all WR and we for once’s have depth at War with Berrios and Mims as the 4th and 5th guys if guys go down. The offense is totally revamped and set up to succeed.

Now these are all still really young players so I’m not expecting us to challenge BUF for the division. But I do expect us to be a tough team. Win winnable games and win a couple surprising games as well. I have us around the 8-9 mark. Which if we can even go 7-10… that’s a huge improvement. Especially with our schedule. 

To side with you a tad….. I get the frustration. Because we’ve never given any young QB we’ve had in nearly 20+ years a good surrounding cast. So it’s easy to just say I have no reason to believe in our young QB. And that’s bc we’ve never helped our young QBs. But JD gets it and has helped Wilson. He has 4-5 good WRs. 2 good RBs. 3 good TEs and a good OL. He’s set up to succeed. Now that doesn’t mean at 23yr old we should expect a 35td 8int season from him. Just need him to show he can play in this league. Which I’d give him a 85% chance of showing us.

I see your point Bobby and I know he was a young kid coming out of BYU and was going against a lot of non-NFL players. I was thinking he would have done better than the product we saw last year. I thought his throws would have been more on point. I did not realize how off his throws are. I know footwork and adjustments can help but man a lot of his throws where pretty darn bad. I hope your right Bobby and he comes around and is a top 10 QB in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I see your point Bobby and I know he was a young kid coming out of BYU and was going against a lot of non-NFL players. I was thinking he would have done better than the product we saw last year. I thought his throws would have been more on point. I did not realize how off his throws are. I know footwork and adjustments can help but man a lot of his throws where pretty darn bad. I hope your right Bobby and he comes around and is a top 10 QB in the NFL. 

It’s about progressing and surrounding him with the tools to help him succeed. And we’ve done that. But I don’t think because we’ve done that we should expect a Burrow type leap from him. He just needs to not make as many mistakes and make more plays. He’s in the same system so his mistakes should go down (his mistakes went down to end the season). And he should be able to make more plays with a better OL and and a healthy WR group, a revamped TE room and a really young RB duo. He’s set up to succeed. But this team wasn’t a 2 year rebuild. We got a lot of pieces these last couple off seasons. But it’s still 21-24yr old guys mostly out there. We have to remember that. They take awhile to get comfortable with the playbook, speed of the game and such. So we just have to be patient and expect progress.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s about progressing and surrounding him with the tools to help him succeed. And we’ve done that. But I don’t think because we’ve done that we should expect a Burrow type leap from him. He just needs to not make as many mistakes and make more plays. He’s in the same system so his mistakes should go down (his mistakes went down to end the season). And he should be able to make more plays with a better OL and and a healthy WR group, a revamped TE room and a really young RB duo. He’s set up to succeed. But this team wasn’t a 2 year rebuild. We got a lot of pieces these last couple off seasons. But it’s still 21-24yr old guys mostly out there. We have to remember that. They take awhile to get comfortable with the playbook, speed of the game and such. So we just have to be patient and expect progress.

I agree he needs to play his game .... if he makes some mistakes ... young QBs do ... but he has to be productive enough to cover for them, and also learn from them and grow as a player.