Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

Forcing his way out. Ego seems bigger than his play. You want starter reps? Than you had a chance last year to show you could be a starter. And he failed.

I was a huge fan of drafting Mims snd have stayed optimistic with him. But I’m done with him now. Bye

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Man I wanted to move Mims after we drafted Wilson. If we get a 5th for him take it. I doubt we even get that. i think it will be like a conditional 6th if he makes the team. 

It was just a massive misuse of the player and his value. 

The team new they were done with him last trade deadline. Should have moved him then if they were intent on not using him. Instead they let his value get so low that they are looking at a future conditional 7th. Just really poor value management.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Forcing his way out. Ego seems bigger than his play. You want starter reps? Than you had a chance last year to show you could be a starter. And he failed.

I was a huge fan of drafting Mims snd have stayed optimistic with him. But I’m done with him now. Bye

I don’t think it’s that, he’s literally being given minimal opportunities to prove himself in practice. He’s not without blame in some aspects but the team literally refusing to give him a couple first team res in PRACTICE is ridiculous. Then he finally gets on the field last week and catches back to back balls to get us into field goal range.

There’s working your way up the depth chart and then there’s what this staff did with him. 

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I don’t think it’s that, he’s literally being given minimal opportunities to prove himself in practice. He’s not without blame in some aspects but the team literally refusing to give him a couple first team res in PRACTICE is ridiculous. Then he finally gets on the field last week and catches back to back balls to get us into field goal range.

There’s working your way up the depth chart and then there’s what this staff did with him. 

I'm in between on this... bc he did have shots to make himself stand out. As a rookie he got to start pretty much the 2nd half of the season. His QB play wasn't the best and he had flashes, but he didn't exactly prove himself enough to where we looked at him as a for sure starter going into year 2. And this was post him getting injured in camp, so I get he wasn't 100%, but he still had opportunity. I feel bad for the guys who never really got opportunity. But he got that his rookie year. Take Moore for example last year who missed time bc of injury. He did enough in his chances to where we knew he'd be a big player for us this year. Mims had that same opportunity and didn't capitalize on it. We all knew we needed a revamp at WR room and drafting Mims was stage 2 to that. We spent 2 quality picks in the following drafts on guys with special talent in Moore and Wilson. Who quite frankly are just better than him. I thin the hype we had around Mims was that we didn't draft an offensive skill position player high in so long and felt like he fell in our laps with our trade back. So the excitement was through the roof. But bc our GM knows how to build a team... he by no means was given a job. And had to beat out very talented guys to get snaps. Which is how team building should be. I don't think any of us knew that Berrios would be the player he's become. So that altered opportunity for Mims a bit as well. Where I do feel a tad for the kid is that he got sick last camp. And mono can really alter you. From a strength and endurance standpoint. But even after he was "healthy" he was once again given opportunity for the last 1/3 of the season bc of injury at WR. And once again, he didn't capitalize on it. So that was close to a full season of starting reps for him between year 1 and 2 and he didn't have anything to really show for it.

Why should he be getting starting reps? Our WR room has been healthy and at best he's the 5th guy on this team. Bc the 4 guys ahead of him are just more talented than him or they've proven themselves more in their chances.

The staff has 2 ways of looking at this. They one sit him down and say we're not trading you and you will get snaps. Just not starting snaps. And then explain to him that injuries are pretty much inevitable. And explain to him that he was given chances in his 2 years. And they know that their were circumstances that maybe made him not capture a bigger role... but he got the chances. So now that he's healthy, be patient and show up when you're next man up.

Or........ they just straight up trade him for best pick they can and move forward with Smith and Cager as depth. 

Mims fate was sealed last offseason. He missed time which hurt and could not get up to speed quickly enough for LaFleurs liking. We don’t know how Mims is in the locker room and that may have something to do with it.

I think it boils down to sour grapes from last year and Mims would have had to truly excel to get in the good graces of the coaching staff.

8 hours ago, drew39k said:

It was just a massive misuse of the player and his value. 

The team new they were done with him last trade deadline. Should have moved him then if they were intent on not using him. Instead they let his value get so low that they are looking at a future conditional 7th. Just really poor value management.

I think a lot of people thik he is good. He is not. He could not not even crack the starting lineup with the sorry team last year. He is a WR4 at best on any team in the league. You watch in 2 years he will move to TE and try to extend his career. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm in between on this... bc he did have shots to make himself stand out. As a rookie he got to start pretty much the 2nd half of the season. His QB play wasn't the best and he had flashes, but he didn't exactly prove himself enough to where we looked at him as a for sure starter going into year 2. And this was post him getting injured in camp, so I get he wasn't 100%, but he still had opportunity. I feel bad for the guys who never really got opportunity. But he got that his rookie year. Take Moore for example last year who missed time bc of injury. He did enough in his chances to where we knew he'd be a big player for us this year. Mims had that same opportunity and didn't capitalize on it. We all knew we needed a revamp at WR room and drafting Mims was stage 2 to that. We spent 2 quality picks in the following drafts on guys with special talent in Moore and Wilson. Who quite frankly are just better than him. I thin the hype we had around Mims was that we didn't draft an offensive skill position player high in so long and felt like he fell in our laps with our trade back. So the excitement was through the roof. But bc our GM knows how to build a team... he by no means was given a job. And had to beat out very talented guys to get snaps. Which is how team building should be. I don't think any of us knew that Berrios would be the player he's become. So that altered opportunity for Mims a bit as well. Where I do feel a tad for the kid is that he got sick last camp. And mono can really alter you. From a strength and endurance standpoint. But even after he was "healthy" he was once again given opportunity for the last 1/3 of the season bc of injury at WR. And once again, he didn't capitalize on it. So that was close to a full season of starting reps for him between year 1 and 2 and he didn't have anything to really show for it.

Why should he be getting starting reps? Our WR room has been healthy and at best he's the 5th guy on this team. Bc the 4 guys ahead of him are just more talented than him or they've proven themselves more in their chances.

The staff has 2 ways of looking at this. They one sit him down and say we're not trading you and you will get snaps. Just not starting snaps. And then explain to him that injuries are pretty much inevitable. And explain to him that he was given chances in his 2 years. And they know that their were circumstances that maybe made him not capture a bigger role... but he got the chances. So now that he's healthy, be patient and show up when you're next man up.

Or........ they just straight up trade him for best pick they can and move forward with Smith and Cager as depth. 

Why should he be getting starting reps? Because you want to see how he looks with the best guys around him with the best QB throwing to him. You aren't going to learn anything watching him play against 3rd and 4th stringers. 

Capitalizing on opportunity simply depends on how you want to view things. He had mental lapses(penalties) obviously but overall consistency helps with development. 

If Black, Smith, Charles can get 1st/2nd team reps then so should Mims. He's not even asking to just be a starter just for a "fair" shot. He hasn't gotten that under this staff. 

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Why should he be getting starting reps? Because you want to see how he looks with the best guys around him with the best QB throwing to him. You aren't going to learn anything watching him play against 3rd and 4th stringers. 

Capitalizing on opportunity simply depends on how you want to view things. He had mental lapses(penalties) obviously but overall consistency helps with development. 

If Black, Smith, Charles can get 1st/2nd team reps then so should Mims. He's not even asking to just be a starter just for a "fair" shot. He hasn't gotten that under this staff. 

He probably should get "some" starting reps. And that's only bc teams do play 5-6 WRs, so he should get work in. I think a big part of what might be going on as well, is that he didn't mind 2nd team reps since it was Flacco throwing to him and that's a legit QB with respect. Now that he's been moved to starter and he's catching passes from White and Streveler that might be frustrating for him. Have to think ego is in this as well being a 2nd rounder arguably being beat out as the 5th WR on a team at only 24yrs old. So he just wants out. And will use any excuse to try and force his way out.

JD needs to do something ASAP. Maybe he's already sat down with Mims and said he's going to make the team and be a Jet and he's going nowhere. Or maybe he sat him down and said they'll listen to offers if he wants out. 

I think its obvious Mims just isn't up to snuff when it comes to knowing his routes and assignments at an NFL level. He has all the physical tools you'd want from a WR, but it's not like they have him playing with the 3rd stringers because they want to see him earn his way up. It's because that's where his level of play is.

It nice that he's tall, fast, and can make great catches, but there's so much more to the NFL than that. At this point, he's basically our N'Keal Harry.

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

According to beat writers he was getting 1st team practice reps probably a few like those other guys were.  So to say he wasn't is incorrect.  He also has had a few drops/penalties etc and when you are down the depth chart you don't jump the talent that is in front of you easily and doing that doesn't help.  He did this to himself by not learning the full playbook last year and not being able to line up in all spots.  I mean we were crushed by injuries last year and they still didn't give him a chance.  This doesn't seem a staff or a GM who wants his first 2nd round pick to be a waste without reason.

Who is he jumping to be a starter?  I mean the game before in Philly he had a catch then a drop, then a penalty.  I mean you want more reps but he's been inconsistent at best. 

Edited by Rockice_8

32 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

According to beat writers he was getting 1st team practice reps probably a few like those other guys were.  So to say he wasn't is incorrect.  He also has had a few drops/penalties etc and when you are down the depth chart you don't jump the talent that is in front of you easily and doing that doesn't help.  He did this to himself by not learning the full playbook last year and not being able to line up in all spots.  I mean we were crushed by injuries last year and they still didn't give him a chance.  This doesn't seem a staff or a GM who wants his first 2nd round pick to be a waste without reason.

Who is he jumping to be a starter?  I mean the game before in Philly he had a catch then a drop, then a penalty.  I mean you want more reps but he's been inconsistent at best. 

Totally agree. We upgraded his position and he failed to up his game to compete with them. His ego thinks he's a top 3 WR on this team, but his play says otherwise. He had opportunities, he just didn't capitalize on them. I'd still like to keep him as a depth piece... but if we can get a decent pick for him, so be it.