Jets 2022 OTAs and Training Camp

Bobby816

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Looking from the outside...coaches made a role for Berrios, put him in a position based on his strengths.  They forced Mims to do everything and didn't put him in a position to use his strengths.

So the coaches tailored our offense around a kick returner but stabled one of our most talented receivers?

I get what's been advertised is that Mims needed to learn all the positions (which sounds unfair when compared to the rest of the second strinegrs), but I can guarantee it was more than that. That was just media line.

No coach is just going to sideline a future superstar. Mims had to have had much bigger issues in camp, practice, and in-game to keep him on bench while we walk out Jeff Smith and Tarik Black for Zach Wilson's rookie year..

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

So the coaches tailored our offense around a kick returner but stabled one of our most talented receivers?

I get what's been advertised is that Mims needed to learn all the positions (which sounds unfair when compared to the rest of the second strinegrs), but I can guarantee it was more than that. That was just media line.

No coach is just going to sideline a future superstar. Mims had to have had much bigger issues in camp, practice, and in-game to keep him on bench while we walk out Jeff Smith and Tarik Black for Zach Wilson's rookie year..

It wasn’t a media line. Saleh literally said it a press conference.

Top 3 receivers learn their roles(Davis, Moore and Crowder

#4 backs up all 3(Cole)

#5 has special teams value(Berrios)

Mims isn’t a natural fit schematically, Berrios is because of his short area quickness and agility. But if you work to get Mims some looks deep and over the middle in the PA game you can potentially maximize his abilities in the offense. But this offense thrives off hitches, quick outs and short crossers. 

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Looking from the outside...coaches made a role for Berrios, put him in a position based on his strengths.  They forced Mims to do everything and didn't put him in a position to use his strengths.

I complained last season about the lack of PT for Mims. I kind of blamed it more on the coaches. I’m hindsight, I think Mims was too one dimensional for LaFleur. I, for one, thought Mims had a role in which he could do well, but, LaFleur and Saleh really like the players to be multidimensional.

Berrios was already multidimensional when he joined the Jets. He played ST and slot. Whereas Mims needed to learn ST as well as playing another role beside the X. To Mims credit, he is learning ST and I think he would have earned a spot on the 53 before his trade request.  I could be wrong, but it appears Mims route tree has expanded this preseason.

What this boils down to is that Berrios did not need to learn as much to get starter reps, Mims did and he did not learn quickly enough to elevate his status last season. I think has this season but now he feels he deserves more.

Roster Battles

QB- White/Streveler(health could determine if someone stays, likely a PS member)

RB- Johnson/Perine/Knight(1 stays maybe, possibly another on PS)

WR- Mims/Smith/Black/Jackson/Charles(one or two stay)

TE- Cager/Wesco(maybe one stays)

OL- I think the guys we’re keeping are locked in

DL- Shepherd/Smart/Marshall(one or two stay)

EDGE- Huff/Zuniga/Annae(one stays)

LB- Nasrildeen/Harris(one or both cut 

CB- Dunn/Echols/Guidry(One stays)

S- Davis/Parks/Pinnock(I think 2 stay)

White will not get cut. He will end up in a trade or be our 3rd string guy. I know most of you are going to hate this but it is time to let Huff go. I know a lot of you like him but he is getting older and has nver really done much during the season. Ya he looks good against the 2nd and 3rd string guys but you put him up against the 1st string he does not produce. Oh by the way I'm on the Clemons train now. He is nasty and one of the reason we don't need Huff anymore. 

• Like 1

My 53 man predictions are this....

QB: Wilson, Flacco, White

RB: Hall, Carter, Coleman

WR: Davis, Moore, Berrios, Wilson. Mims, Smith

TE: Uzomah, Conklin, Ruckert, Cager

OT: Brown, Fant, Edoga, McDermott

OG: Tomlinson, AVT, Feeny, Hergib

OC: McGovern, Pierschbacher

DE: Lawson, JFM, Johnson, Martin, Huff, Clemons

DT: Williams, Rankins, Thomas, Marshall

LB: Mosley, Williams, Alexander, Nas