Houston Texans added as defendants in Deshaun Watson sexual misconduct civil trials

ET80

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

“My left shoulder I played on last year that had surgery is really sore and my range of motion is t there without pain.”

Bingo - I completely forgot he had a bum shoulder and needed surgery, too.

He’s got a valid injury that he can play up, one that will impact his performance. He’s basically got a free IR/PUP list pass.

The only harm in that is his paycheck for 2023.  He is not Ramsey who has a lot of film on being good.  But he could do it and make 2023 a prove it year like Tribisky did.  All depends on how much he hates the Brown ownership now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

“My left shoulder I played on last year that had surgery is really sore and my range of motion isn't there without pain.”

This would just make it harder for another team to trade for Baker, since there's questions on whether he's healthy. A Baker who could get some film cut up that he's zipping balls around would have more trade value, which means the Browns eat less money and Baker gets out of there quicker.

Seems like both sides would be interested in playing his health up, not down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This would just make it harder for another team to trade for Baker, since there's questions on whether he's healthy. A Baker who could get some film cut up that he's zipping balls around would have more trade value, which means the Browns eat less money and Baker gets out of there quicker.

Teams are going to run their own physicals to determine whether or not Baker is fit to play.

• Like 1

Assuming Watson is suspended for 2022 (and he should be- but that’s a whole-nother thing). on its surface it makes sense for Mayfield to return and play here. I see it as a very small chance of ever happening though. Prior to the Watson trade, Mayfield came out with his social media post basically saying goodbye. Since the Watson trade, the Browns have basically talked about Mayfield in past tense. They also signed a competent bridge QB in JB.

I think it’s fairly obvious based off of various indicators, there have been enough things behind the scenes that the Browns don’t want Baker around as their QB, and the bridge is ashes on both ends. It’s unfortunate because he has shown that he is at least an average quarterback, one that they have had some success with. Not saying much obviously, but he has been their most successful quarterback in quite some time. This is his best option, and there would seem to be a mutual benefit.

He will have a chance to start somewhere if not this year, in 2023. For his sake though, I do believe he needs to do much better with the image he puts out there though, whether or not the perception is a reality. If you are seen as a spectacle type of player, you have to be a certain type of good, otherwise you are playing a dangerous game and you might find yourself out of suitors. What does might mean is that if he ends up somewhere in 2022, he is going to need to potentially put on a brave face and be a good teammate holding a clipboard for a season without causing any waves. Unless he lands in the perfect situation and replaces an injured starter. If he can do his role well, he is going to land on his feet the following season in a better situation. JMO.

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No question. The money is guaranteed, so Baker wants to play somewhere else as opposed to just cashing a check/holding out for an extension or something else.

The Browns excused him from the mandatory camp, and he doesn’t want to be there and they don’t want him there. As of now, Cleveland doesn’t want to go the hardball route due to the distraction and locker room dynamics and seems content to roll with JB this year.

I still maintain it would be in everyone’s best interests to salvage this for 2022 alone. Baker gets to start in a familiar system and essentially gets a 1 year tryout for a new contract and team next year and he’s the Browns best chance of winning games this year as well, but neither will happen and both seem content to cut off their own noses to spite their faces, which is par for the course all around.

So twenty down, four to go. Presumably the lead plaintiff and the other three got the offer and said no, either for more or on principle. Hats off to them. 

I wonder if this is the worst outcome for Deshaun - you give in and pay on most for non-disclosure but could still have a monster reputational fiasco with all eyes on one case. 

3 minutes ago, scottishpatriot said:

So twenty down, four to go. Presumably the lead plaintiff and the other three got the offer and said no, either for more or on principle. Hats off to them. 

I wonder if this is the worst outcome for Deshaun - you give in and pay on most for non-disclosure but could still have a monster reputational fiasco with all eyes on one case. 

No matter how it turns out his reputation is in ruins.

Just think if he could go back and settle that first case for the 100,000 that was demanded. true or not... how much would that have saved him? On the other hand, those cases going public, the bidding war and the desperation of Cleveland guaranteeing 240 million to secure his consent to trade. Reputation aside, financially it may have been to his benefit. Crazy.

I believe his salary is 1 million this year, if he is suspended isn't that what he loses? If so, insanely crafty on his agents part.  

• Like 1