The Jalen Hurts Thread

TheRealMcCoy

Call your shot....  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Jalen Hurts will be a top ___ QB in 2022?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2022 at 06:59 AM

31 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

We’ve gotten some really high level play from Jalen these past 2 weeks. Traditional run game hasn’t been as effective but he has stepped up so that our O is still moving up and down field with ease. Awesome to see after what I considered a relatively shaky start.

Noticeably calmer in the pocket, and just has been more in control (still tends to bail early but I think that’ll always be part of his game, not going to be perfect as much we can hope).

I don't know why Jalen seems to have such a hard time making plays with his arm outside the pocket. Is he not finding the guys getting separation when things break down. Like I just think back to a whole bunch of guys like Rodgers or Romo who were great at that, and you'd think with Jalens tools he ought to be able to do similar things, but it seems like whenever you start seeing Jalen rollout that it's either going to be he'll run it or an incompletion is guaranteed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't know why Jalen seems to have such a hard time making plays with his arm outside the pocket. Is he not finding the guys getting separation when things break down. Like I just think back to a whole bunch of guys like Rodgers or Romo who were great at that, and you'd think with Jalens tools he ought to be able to do similar things, but it seems like whenever you start seeing Jalen rollout that it's either going to be he'll run it or an incompletion is guaranteed.

I agree, this year we’ve gotten next to nothing out of roll outs. The 3rd down conversion to Gainwell yesterday was one of the rare broken play successes we’ve had through the air in 2023 and it was for like 5 yards with a Herculean YAC effort.

My guess is that defenses just play it well, lot of zone against Jalen as it is and they know he likes to roll right, but without going through all-22 hard to say if it’s that, more Jalen being too conservative, and/or WRs not coming back to ball (doubt).

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I agree, this year we’ve gotten next to nothing out of roll outs. The 3rd down conversion to Gainwell yesterday was one of the rare broken play successes we’ve had through the air in 2023 and it was for like 5 yards with a Herculean YAC effort.

My guess is that defenses just play it well, lot of zone against Jalen as it is and they know he likes to roll right, but without going through all-22 hard to say if it’s that, more Jalen being too conservative, and/or WRs not coming back to ball (doubt).

This is slightly off topic but sometimes when he rolls out and everybody is yelling “just throw it away” but instead he will run out of bounds for like a 1-2 yard loss. I’m starting to wonder if he just doesn’t like adding the “incompletion” to his stat line. I mean, it does add up.. say on average you throw the ball 30 times per game and on average have 3 throw aways. That’s -10% on your completion percentage alone. I hope that’s not the case, I’d rather have a QB that doesn’t care about stats, but I wonder if he feels obligated now that he’s got a big contract to play at a high level.

4 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

This is slightly off topic but sometimes when he rolls out and everybody is yelling “just throw it away” but instead he will run out of bounds for like a 1-2 yard loss. I’m starting to wonder if he just doesn’t like adding the “incompletion” to his stat line. I mean, it does add up.. say on average you throw the ball 30 times per game and on average have 3 throw aways. That’s -10% on your completion percentage alone. I hope that’s not the case, I’d rather have a QB that doesn’t care about stats, but I wonder if he feels obligated now that he’s got a big contract to play at a high level.

Incompletions are better than sacks, which is how it is recorded when the QB runs out of bounds for a loss.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Incompletions are better than sacks, which is how it is recorded when the QB runs out of bounds for a loss.

100% agreed. You’d rather just go to the next play versus go back 1-2 yards but for a QB an “incompletion” goes against you whereas a “sack” is typically a bad look for the OL even though on these particular plays it’s 100% on Jalen.

15 minutes ago, Jays3 said:

100% agreed. You’d rather just go to the next play versus go back 1-2 yards but for a QB an “incompletion” goes against you whereas a “sack” is typically a bad look for the OL even though on these particular plays it’s 100% on Jalen.

That makes a lot of sense to me as to being the reason why he takes those losses. Not saying he'd be right, but as to why he does it. 

Thinking Jalen Hurts of all people would care about his number of incompletions sounds absolutely impossible lol. He is probably the most selfless and devoted teammate whose sole focus is on winning. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind Jalen does not care one tiny bit about his stat line at the end of the game. The only thing he cares about is winning. 

Sure he makes mistakes. He definitely holds the ball too long at times and at times has run out of bounds behind the LoS which is dumb,, but I see that as him trying to do too much at times instead of taking the small L. Absolutely no chance he is thinking about his stats lol. It goes against everything he has shown us about him as a player and person.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jays3 said:

This is slightly off topic but sometimes when he rolls out and everybody is yelling “just throw it away” but instead he will run out of bounds for like a 1-2 yard loss. I’m starting to wonder if he just doesn’t like adding the “incompletion” to his stat line. I mean, it does add up.. say on average you throw the ball 30 times per game and on average have 3 throw aways

Nahhh. Honestly think he is trying to legit make a throw till the last possible second. Don't think for a second he gives two 💩 about completion %.

In fact, I mentioned it in the GDT about Jalen not just taking off Lamar style because he is always looking to throw. 

During the Rams game, Hurts seem to be the opposite.  Made his mind up, Ran like a bat out of hell. Like last year. Like throwing to Goedert, that type of running changed the entire look of our offense. 

On 10/9/2023 at 7:36 PM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Thinking Jalen Hurts of all people would care about his number of incompletions sounds absolutely impossible lol. He is probably the most selfless and devoted teammate whose sole focus is on winning. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind Jalen does not care one tiny bit about his stat line at the end of the game. The only thing he cares about is winning. 

Sure he makes mistakes. He definitely holds the ball too long at times and at times has run out of bounds behind the LoS which is dumb,, but I see that as him trying to do too much at times instead of taking the small L. Absolutely no chance he is thinking about his stats lol. It goes against everything he has shown us about him as a player and person.

I agree stat hoarding definitely doesn’t sound like something he would do, but why does he run out of bounds for 1-2 yard loss instead of flicking the ball out of bounds last second? That’s legal as long as it gets back to the original LOS. 2nd or 3rd and 12 is a lot different than 2nd or 3rd and 10. Every inch matters in football. He had more throw aways last year, this year I haven’t seen it as much, if at all. I don’t think he forgot how to do it, I just don’t know why he would all of a sudden stop doing it.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:56 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Nahhh. Honestly think he is trying to legit make a throw till the last possible second. Don't think for a second he gives two 💩 about completion %.

In fact, I mentioned it in the GDT about Jalen not just taking off Lamar style because he is always looking to throw. 

During the Rams game, Hurts seem to be the opposite.  Made his mind up, Ran like a bat out of hell. Like last year. Like throwing to Goedert, that type of running changed the entire look of our offense. 

I didn’t think he cared either but I also haven’t seen any throw aways from him either. Maybe 1 or 2, but rarely ever this year have we seen that from him which seems odd to me. Instead we have seen him run out of bounds for 1-2 yard losses and force balls into coverage at a higher rate.

I’m open to the idea of it not being for stat purposes, stat pumping definitely doesn’t sound like him, I just don’t know what other reason it would be for. I get he’s trying to make a play, but you also gotta know when to give up on the play. Running out of bounds for a loss or forcing balls into double coverage shouldn’t be an option.

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I agree that it doesn't sound like him, but still makes sense.

Did we learn nothing from Carson Wentz situation? 

Carson Wentz the player who multiple players went to the media complaining about vs Jalen Hurts the prototypical leader who has done nothing but say the right thing since he got benched in the national championship game in college.

This is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Carson Wentz the player who multiple players went to the media complaining about vs Jalen Hurts the prototypical leader who has done nothing but say the right thing since he got benched in the national championship game in college.

This is ridiculous.

If it were the case it wouldn't make him a bad player or a bad leader.

Let's just not blindly believe in people we don't know or that it would be completely out of the question to have any semblance of an ego. 

5 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

If it were the case it wouldn't make him a bad player or a bad leader.

Let's just not blindly believe in people we don't know or that it would be completely out of the question to have any semblance of an ego. 

This conversation is completely irrelevant, but what I believe is supported by significantly more evidence than what you are claiming. It isn't even remotely close. Also comparing him to Wentz where there was a ton of evidence of his issues in the locker room just makes no sense.

Not every single thing that happens on the football field needs to be given a perfect reason. Hurts has taken some silly sacks this year running out of bounds behind the LoS. It is clearly a mistake and I am sure it has been pointed out to him. Making it bigger than that is so pointless. 

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This conversation is completely irrelevant, but what I believe is supported by significantly more evidence than what you are claiming. It isn't even remotely close. Also comparing him to Wentz where there was a ton of evidence of his issues in the locker room just makes no sense.

Not every single thing that happens on the football field needs to be given a perfect reason. Hurts has taken some silly sacks this year running out of bounds behind the LoS. It is clearly a mistake and I am sure it has been pointed out to him. Making it bigger than that is so pointless. 

I'm not comparing them because of character or reportes. I brought it up because when the Alshon story broke up everyone in here was "Nuh, that's completely false and Alshon is a diva" "not my QB" "he is a class act" and what not. 

What I'm saying is, let's learn from the Wentz situation and not defend someone as untouchable when we don't know them. As I said in my post "that doesn't sound like something Hurts would do, but it would make sense"