The Jalen Hurts Thread

TheRealMcCoy

Call your shot....  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Jalen Hurts will be a top ___ QB in 2022?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2022 at 06:59 AM

1 minute ago, downundermike1 said:

Ha.  We shall see my friend.

As I see it, we are in good shape.

I think there is money for 2 big ticket players. Gardner-Johnson, and either a CB or DT. Not necessarily Bradberry or Hargrave. Go younger with Payne maybe? I think Payne is an improvement over Hargrave. Also younger. The type of guy you open the bank vault for.

I think you dont lost much, if anything by letting Blankenship replace Epps.

I think if you get more stout on the DL,  you potentially improve the D by replacing Edwards with Dean. White will be cheap to retain. Now 2 LBs with range improves your ability to defend the dinking and dunking elite QBs were able to beat us with. But yes, the DL will have to be more stout for White/Dean combo to survive.

Jurgens can fill in for Seumalo...

The rest is DL depth which can be addressed in later rounds of free agency, as well as with draft picks. Some of the old guys will end up staying for another year when they dont find a big deal elsewhere as well.

We arent going to lose much at all. We should be right back just as competitive as we were this year and there are 0 miracles needed for that to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Tommy Lawlor made a good point in his most recent iggles blitz post.

Jalen is the kind of guy that will attract people to come play with him in FA. Might be able to get some nice discount deals.

It’s a good point.

also Helps too that he went to bama. Tons of guys he knows who might be down to do their one years here with him, Landon and Devonta.

17 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

As I see it, we are in good shape.

I think there is money for 2 big ticket players. Gardner-Johnson, and either a CB or DT. Not necessarily Bradberry or Hargrave. Go younger with Payne maybe? I think Payne is an improvement over Hargrave. Also younger. The type of guy you open the bank vault for.

I think you dont lost much, if anything by letting Blankenship replace Epps.

I think if you get more stout on the DL,  you potentially improve the D by replacing Edwards with Dean. White will be cheap to retain. Now 2 LBs with range improves your ability to defend the dinking and dunking elite QBs were able to beat us with. But yes, the DL will have to be more stout for White/Dean combo to survive.

Jurgens can fill in for Seumalo...

The rest is DL depth which can be addressed in later rounds of free agency, as well as with draft picks. Some of the old guys will end up staying for another year when they dont find a big deal elsewhere as well.

We arent going to lose much at all. We should be right back just as competitive as we were this year and there are 0 miracles needed for that to happen.

Pretty optimistic point of view. I think a step back as a whole is coming next year. The cap number can only be flipped on its head so much and you have a few stars to pay for, one being a QB who will make up a good portion of the cap. The other cj can ask for whatever he wants and get it. You have both Gannon and Steichen who will be poaching the free agents from him due to their familiarity and the free agents will want to go there for the same reason. So new coaches, bunch of youth, new player leadership, and one of the toughest schedules going into next year. The Oline has overall been plug and play, but losing two solid players who have been able to step in at any time hurts our depth. I hate being one injury away from the QB having to escape vs choosing to.

I'm not saying Hurts won't except as much money as possible (smart business) but I am curious if he intentionally has that contract structured in a way that it's team friendly,  allowing other players to be re-signed or added? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/#:~:text=Patrick Mahomes signed a 10,average annual salary of %2445%2C000%2C000.

Whether it's a long 10 year Mahomes type structure or literally taking less then what the masses expect to stay competitive ala Brady? He clearly cares or is extremely motivated to Win and Win now!!! Just get that vibe from him. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Nabbs4u

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm not saying Hurts won't except as much money as possible (smart business) but I am curious if he intentionally has that contract structured in a way that it's team friendly,  allowing other players to be re-signed or added? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/patrick-mahomes-21751/#:~:text=Patrick Mahomes signed a 10,average annual salary of %2445%2C000%2C000.

Whether it's a long 10 year Mahomes type structure or literally taking less then what the masses expect to stay competitive ala Brady? He clearly cares or is extremely motivated to Win and Win now!!! Just get that vibe from him. 🤷‍♂️

If he signs for less than 50 mil a year avg than this narrative works, but I don't think he will. I am guessing he will get 5 years around 50-55 mil a year which is basically just the market for top QBs. 

3 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If he signs for less than 50 mil a year avg than this narrative works, but I don't think he will. I am guessing he will get 5 years around 50-55 mil a year which is basically just the market for top QBs. 

And then we will find out if he really is a top QB.

Pat Mahomes won the Super Bowl losing a top 5 WR and replacing him with JuJu.

Hurts fell short adding a 1st round WR, and AJ Brown for a 1/3 and 100+ million.

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Hurts fell short adding a 1st round WR, and AJ Brown for a 1/3 and 100+ million.

While technically true, Hurts put up one of the best Super Bowl performances for a QB. Hard to say he really fell short or that it’s an accurate depiction.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I know you new guys don't really have history with the discussions we have had around here, but anyone on this board will vouch that I was probably Hurts biggest critic last year along with @Danger and a couple other guys. Just giving context for my point.

Hurts didn't fall short of anything. Hurts was incredible this year and he was even more incredible in the Super Bowl(outside of the fumble which was just a fluke). And not just in a "he got better weapons" way. He legitimately developed into a very good starting QB and I think he can continue to improve past this. His accuracy took a massive leap. He learned how to actually see the field and get the ball out on time. He still needs to get a bit better at seeing the whole field at times and he occasionally get happy feet, but everything I saw from him points to being a franchise QB. I don't think he will ever be on Mahomes level(not many in NFL history have been), but I am comfortable in saying I think he can be a tier 2 guy going forward as long as he continues to develop and his legs don't consistently get him hurt. Also, the guys on offense are for the most part all locked in. Brown, Smith, Goedert aren't going anywhere. The OL is going to be top tier as long as Howie is our GM and Stoutland is coaching them. This isn't a case of we sign hurts and he is weaponless. 

I really don't see a reason to doubt Hurts at the moment at all. Sure I hope he continues to improve, but if he just maintains his level he played at this year and remains healthy we will be NFC contenders for many, many years. Unfortunately you just have to pay QB's ridiculous money. There is no other option. You can't let a player like Hurts go. You just have to try to build a roster around him that can win  with less resources.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I know you new guys don't really have history with the discussions we have had around here, but anyone on this board will vouch that I was probably Hurts biggest critic last year along with @Danger and a couple other guys. Just giving context for my point.

It wasn't really so much routing against him, but in 2021, he looked like Tyrod Taylor. Glad he really stepped it up in the mental processing and decision making aspect. His arm seemed to be less of an issue when he was able to anticipate throws and who'd be open. 

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Hurts put up 35 pts in a SB almost single handedly. Accounting for all 4 TD. If the Defense/ST decided to show up in any form or fashion in the 2nd 1/2, Eagles win the SB.

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And it it was a little bit better, like Nick Foles for example, we may have won it.

Hurts could of too, if BG got another strip sack FB. Somebody, anybody sacked Mahomes There was nothing offensively Foles would of done other then maybe not fumbling that ball. Nick Foles Sunday would of needed 6 TD passes to win. 👌

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

It wasn't really so much routing against him, but in 2021, he looked like Tyrod Taylor. Glad he really stepped it up in the mental processing and decision making aspect. His arm seemed to be less of an issue when he was able to anticipate throws and who'd be open. 

We never were rooting against him. We just didn't really believe in him.

We were wrong. 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

We never were rooting against him. We just didn't really believe in him.

We were wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Unless I'm not remembering correctly I feel like this was the sentiment across the board.

He proved me wrong and made me a fan, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Unless I'm not remembering correctly I feel like this was the sentiment across the board.

He proved me wrong and made me a fan, that's for sure. 

Not across the board but close. I liked him last year after Wentz moved on. When he put this team on his back. Showed more leadership skills the last 4 games of 2021, tgen Carson in 4 tears.

I was never on board with the masses about the weak arm, can't read defenses,  can't throw but to one side of the field , no accuracy, ****ty footwork BS because I understood to CRAP he was working with. Understood many of those issues was him learning a new offensive and NOT TRUSTING  a single WR to be where he thought they would be or should be. Which effects all of the above.

When a Rookie WR is the only WR you can trust (Smitty), that speaks volumes about the rest. First few pgs of this thread describe what I envisioned and was mocked for suggesting. Just honestly never thought he'd exceed even further past those expectations. That's all.

Edited by Nabbs4u