Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

I love a ball-hawking defense, and the Vikings have certainly racked up their share of interceptions this season.

5 INTs: Xavier Rhodes & Harrison Smith

2 INTs: Andrew Sendejo

1 INT: Terence Newman, Mackensie Alexander, Eric Kendricks

Not bad at all. Hopefully Brock, Harris, Kearse, and Wilson will get a chance at their first pick when we play the Bears on New Year's Eve.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe I'm reading that post wrong but Im pretty sure we have 14 interceptions this year.

5: Harrison Smith

2: Andrew Sendejo, Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes

1: Mack Alexander, Eric Kendricks, Terrance Newman

You're right. My mistake. Rhodes has 2 and I forgot about Waynes.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Some context to that number is needed. 14 Ints is middle of the pack. The Vikes defense could certainly be a little more opportunitistic. There have been some missed opportunities. 

weren't there 3 or 4 in the Detroit loss alone?

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

weren't there 3 or 4 in the Detroit loss alone?

I remember there were a few that certainly would have changed the outcome of the game.

Ints might be scheme dependent too. Zimmer seems to favor playing within the system, not having players free lance. This leads to getting off the field a lot on third down but may result in fewer opportunities to gamble in coverage. Tight coverage may lead to safer throws, throw aways and sacks. I believe the leader has 21 Ints.

I'd rather have a team that isn't reliant on creating turnovers.

By the way, look at the Vikings INT totals under Zimmer:

2014: 13
2015: 13
2016: 14
2017: 14

Now compare that with passing TDs allowed under Zimmer

2014: 26
2015: 24
2016: 22
2017: 13

I've been charting CBs snap by snap in 2017, Marhson was first, then Ramsey, then Rhodes. I've charted every single coverage snap for these guys, as well as the catches they allowed, and the routes they were beat on. Rhodes, unlike the other CBs I looked at, regularly followed around opposing #1s which made watching his film far more entertaining. It can get a bit boring watching Marshon or Ramsey when opposing offenses were just ignoring that half of the field and putting their worst WRs there. Anyone here is the near complete season data on Rhodes, I'll get to the lat 2 games (plus playoffs) some time in the future, but the next CB getting charted is going to be Jalen Mills. Up to this point I've only looked at CBs with great reputations, so looking at a CB considered mediocre will put the numbers more into perspective. 

The tracking of targets and catches allowed is accurate, I'll stand by that. Very little subjectivity goes on there. The pure cover metrics are a different story, and obviously require a lot of gut calls on my part (guessing responsibilites being a common issue). I don't know if you guys really do have Rhodes play man as much as it looked to me, or if the Vikings' style of zone is just unique. Normally, the tell tale sign of zone is that the CB is watching the QB and his hips are towards the QB. Rhodes rarely did that, I can say that with certainty, but that doesn't necessarily mean you guys are never playing zone. 

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjvqihcNb--neUcBs6Sa87GKNa8

The Thanksgiving game was really the sole blemish on what has otherwise been an insane season for him, and even then he wasn't that bad, Marvin just showed up big time to stain Rhodes' stat sheet.

I can post the other CB charting I did in their entirety too if you want, but basically all 3 boast fairly similar rates of successful coverage. The difference being Rhodes played, and actually shadowed, a much better slate of WRs. 

9 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The Thanksgiving game was really the sole blemish on what has otherwise been an insane season for him, and even then he wasn't that bad, Marvin just showed up big time to stain Rhodes' stat sheet.

I can post the other CB charting I did in their entirety too if you want, but basically all 3 boast fairly similar rates of successful coverage. The difference being Rhodes played, and actually shadowed, a much better slate of WRs. 

Pretty remarkable given the fact Rhodes was battling a ankle injury, and the one play where Newman pretty much was in his way against the Lions.

Archived