Do our Corners have our Backs, and Safely at that...?

vike daddy

11 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I've been charting CBs snap by snap in 2017, Marhson was first, then Ramsey, then Rhodes. I've charted every single coverage snap for these guys, as well as the catches they allowed, and the routes they were beat on. Rhodes, unlike the other CBs I looked at, regularly followed around opposing #1s which made watching his film far more entertaining. It can get a bit boring watching Marshon or Ramsey when opposing offenses were just ignoring that half of the field and putting their worst WRs there. Anyone here is the near complete season data on Rhodes, I'll get to the lat 2 games (plus playoffs) some time in the future, but the next CB getting charted is going to be Jalen Mills. Up to this point I've only looked at CBs with great reputations, so looking at a CB considered mediocre will put the numbers more into perspective. 

The tracking of targets and catches allowed is accurate, I'll stand by that. Very little subjectivity goes on there. The pure cover metrics are a different story, and obviously require a lot of gut calls on my part (guessing responsibilites being a common issue). I don't know if you guys really do have Rhodes play man as much as it looked to me, or if the Vikings' style of zone is just unique. Normally, the tell tale sign of zone is that the CB is watching the QB and his hips are towards the QB. Rhodes rarely did that, I can say that with certainty, but that doesn't necessarily mean you guys are never playing zone. 

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AjvqihcNb--neUcBs6Sa87GKNa8

The Thanksgiving game was really the sole blemish on what has otherwise been an insane season for him, and even then he wasn't that bad, Marvin just showed up big time to stain Rhodes' stat sheet.

I can post the other CB charting I did in their entirety too if you want, but basically all 3 boast fairly similar rates of successful coverage. The difference being Rhodes played, and actually shadowed, a much better slate of WRs. 

I've seen some fans say that Rhodes can be very grabby. Did you see a trend either way in that he got away with DPI's or was he more on the clean side? Hopefully my question makes sense. Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I've seen some fans say that Rhodes can be very grabby. Did you see a trend either way in that he got away with DPI's or was he more on the clean side? Hopefully my question makes sense. Thanks in advance. 

He is pretty grabby for sure. Basically, you would think the bump zone is 10 yards out with how he sometimes plays. There's probably a few cases of textbook defensive holding I noticed him get away with per game, but only a handful for egregious.

As far as DPI, he simply does not commit it. Most targets thrown his way are intermediate/short, so opportunity for DPI isn't really there anyway. Usually DPI happens when the ball is floating on a deep throw, and QBs just didn't test him deep very often.

I've been a big supporter of Trae Waynes since day one.  He has been getting better and better (just like Xavier Rhodes did), and I think he has a great career ahead of him.  I thought you guys might like this picture - Trae getting his first career quarterback sack.  SKOL!!!!

25qyq1k.jpg

6 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

He is pretty grabby for sure. Basically, you would think the bump zone is 10 yards out with how he sometimes plays. There's probably a few cases of textbook defensive holding I noticed him get away with per game, but only a handful for egregious.

As far as DPI, he simply does not commit it. Most targets thrown his way are intermediate/short, so opportunity for DPI isn't really there anyway. Usually DPI happens when the ball is floating on a deep throw, and QBs just didn't test him deep very often.

Rhodes is grabby, but  he has perfected his technique and looks at the ball so he doesnt get flagged. Also, it should be noted that Rhodes doesnt do more grabbing than the receiver does... He matches their energy, which is why he doesn't get flagged. 

15 hours ago, HEYPAUL! said:

Rhodes is grabby, but  he has perfected his technique and looks at the ball so he doesnt get flagged. Also, it should be noted that Rhodes doesnt do more grabbing than the receiver does... He matches their energy, which is why he doesn't get flagged. 

Bold statement ? 

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Bold statement ? 

Go and watch that mic'd up video of Rhodes locking down Antonio Brown on youtube. He was clearly being grabby that entire game. But that footage exposes  Rhodes' technique's he uses to not get flagged, and he has been USING it the entire season....

lol or you can just post a "emoji" as your rebuttal to what I said...

5 minutes ago, HEYPAUL! said:

Go and watch that mic'd up video of Rhodes locking down Antonio Brown on youtube. He was clearly being grabby that entire game. But that footage exposes  Rhodes' technique's he uses to not get flagged, and he has been USING it the entire season....

lol or you can just post a "emoji" as your rebuttal to what I said...

I agree with him, your statement was pretty bold :ph34r:

Terence Newman returned this season to win a Super Bowl. The Vikings cornerback has a chance. What he won’t say is whether this is his last chance.

“When I’m done, nobody will know it,” Newman said Friday, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press. “I’ll be off into the sunset.”

He has played all 15 games with seven starts this season, and his 526 defensive snaps are 56 percent of the Vikings’ defensive plays. Newman has 33 tackles, an interception and five passes defensed. In his 15 seasons, Newman has made 42 interceptions, eight forced fumbles, 186 pass breakups and 877 tackles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/29/terence-newman-not-ready-to-say-whether-this-is-his-last-season/

Rhodes:   “One thing about it, when we talk to each other outside of here, we can’t watch a football game without dissecting it. When I’m watching college ball — it can be high school ball, I’m always at work. It never stops.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Plan-to-Spend-Wild-Card-Weekend-Watching--Waiting/ee69d7b4-2748-4e64-b33d-be0441d4af41?sf178159863=1

• 2 weeks later...

As a rookie, Waynes played only 195 defensive snaps, or 18.1 percent of the team’s total. Last season, his playing time increased to 579 snaps (55.9 percent). This season, he played 918 snaps (92 percent), fourth most on the defense.

“Trust is huge,” Waynes said.

He earned it by adjusting his game. Despite playing 339 more snaps, he cut his penalties nearly in half — from seven last season to four this year.

“It’s tricky coming from college and understanding penalties and how things are played and the speed of the game,” Waynes said. “You can get away with a lot more in college. Here, you can barely touch them. It’s something you have to learn from experience.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-cornerback-trae-waynes-grows-from-being-picked-on-to-pickoffs/468882473/

Archived