Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

20 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Idc. He’s an outlier. He ripped it up in college where the players are the same exact size as these NFL guys. Not sure why his height wouldn’t matter in college but would magically hurt him in the NFL when the same sized players will be there.

The only way his size hurts him is if you insist on running an under center offense. Very few teams do that anyways & if you draft Young, your coaches better damn be smart enough to put him in the gun most of the time. 

I mean, I get it but there's a reason that the list of QBs who have succeeded in the NFL that are under 6' tall is very short.... no pun intended.

36 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

No. Taking the highest upside player at the most important in football isn’t dumb if you don’t plan on competing next year. And I don’t think the Raiders are in any hurry with this necessary rebuild. 

The Raiders have an offense that is in "win now" mode. They had the league's leading rusher (assuming he's going to be retained), a great TE duo and one that is a top 7 TE if not higher, one of the best WRs in the league on a short deal, and other WRs who can play. They need better play from the line and a QB. If you draft a guy who needs about 2-3 years like Richardson does, you waste away Adam's contract, Renfrow's contract, Waller's contract etc. That is not a good use of assets, right? 

If you go into rebuild w/ a HC who leaves A LOT to be desired, you have to ship all them off and obtain draft capital.

The defense though.... yeah, they stink

EDIT: And I think Richardson is basically a more athletic Jamarcus Russell so I want absolutely no part of him until late day 2

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The Raiders have an offense that is in "win now" mode. They had the league's leading rusher (assuming he's going to be retained), a great TE duo and one that is a top 7 TE if not higher, one of the best WRs in the league on a short deal, and other WRs who can play. They need better play from the line and a QB. If you draft a guy who needs about 2-3 years like Richardson does, you waste away Adam's contract, Renfrow's contract, Waller's contract etc. That is not a good use of assets, right? 

If you go into rebuild w/ a HC who leaves A LOT to be desired, you have to ship all them off and obtain draft capital.

The defense though.... yeah, they stink

EDIT: And I think Richardson is basically a more athletic Jamarcus Russell so I want absolutely no part of him until late day 2

The entirety of their defense is in shambles with the exception of like 3 players. Their OL and DL are atrocious. I think they’re better off shipping out Adams & Waller both as part of a longer rebuild. Keep Renfrow, Jacobs, and Miller/Parham on O. Keep Moehrig, Hobbs, & Crosby on D.

They have 6-7 relatively young building blocks for the future & will have several more picks & players to work with via trades & their current capital.

That is what I’d do. If they could get Richardson & say Jalin Hyatt with their first two picks, that is fantastic. Then go heavy heavy defense. 

49 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The entirety of their defense is in shambles with the exception of like 3 players. Their OL and DL are atrocious. I think they’re better off shipping out Adams & Waller both as part of a longer rebuild. Keep Renfrow, Jacobs, and Miller/Parham on O. Keep Moehrig, Hobbs, & Crosby on D.

They have 6-7 relatively young building blocks for the future & will have several more picks & players to work with via trades & their current capital.

That is what I’d do. If they could get Richardson & say Jalin Hyatt with their first two picks, that is fantastic. Then go heavy heavy defense. 

I agree they should ship all those players off but they won't bc that will cost McDaniels his job. 

I want absolutely zero part of Richardson though. Guy has a high ceiling, yes, but he's far closer to his floor which is "out of the league in 4 years". He looks bad

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Looks like some (Not most) Raiders posters are hopping on the Richardson bandwagon at #7. Are we crazy?

He'd be expected to start year 1 in Vegas, wouldn't he? If so, then yes, you're crazy. He needs to sit, he's nowhere near ready. Richardson needs to go somewhere he doesn't need to play until 2024 or 2025.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

He'd be expected to start year 1 in Vegas, wouldn't he? If so, then yes, you're crazy. He needs to sit, he's nowhere near ready. Richardson needs to go somewhere he doesn't need to play until 2024 or 2025.

I would assume they bring in a guy like Baker Mayfield to start if Richardson isn’t ready (probably won’t be).

31 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

I expect we re-sign Stidham at worst if we draft Richardson. Or another vet ie Jimmy.

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Naming the exception to the rule doesn't change the fact that it's still a very small list of successful QBs under 6 feet tall. 

And that doesn't change the fact that Bryce Young won't succeed or fail based on some list of other players. Don't draft Russell Wilson because he's too short. Don't draft Devonta Smith because he's too skinny. Don't draft Aaron Donald because he's too small. Don't draft Orlando Brown because he's too unathletic. Don't draft Cooper Kupp because he's too slow. Feel free to create arbitrary thresholds and write players off who don't meet them. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And that doesn't change the fact that Bryce Young won't succeed or fail based on some list of other players. Don't draft Russell Wilson because he's too short. Don't draft Devonta Smith because he's too skinny. Don't draft Aaron Donald because he's too small. Don't draft Orlando Brown because he's too unathletic. Don't draft Cooper Kupp because he's too slow. Feel free to create arbitrary thresholds and write players off who don't meet them. 

Who said I'm writing him off? I said I'm concerned about drafting him with his height issue. That doesn't mean I'm writing him off. It's a legit concern whether you like it or not. Literally nothing you can say will change the facts. Argue for the sake of arguing or accept that. It's up to you

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Who said I'm writing him off? I said I'm concerned about drafting him with his height issue. That doesn't mean I'm writing him off. It's a legit concern whether you like it or not. Literally nothing you can say will change the facts. Argue for the sake of arguing or accept that. It's up to you

Bro, you agreed with McShay's statement that of "I'm scared to death of drafting him" because of his height. Argue semantics over whether that's "writing him off" or not, it's a strong statement against Young as a prospect. I stand on my point.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Bro, you agreed with McShay's statement that of "I'm scared to death of drafting him" because of his height. Argue semantics over whether that's "writing him off" or not, it's a strong statement against Young as a prospect. I stand on my point.

It's a concern, yes, but again, nothing you can say changes the facts I've stated over and over. Keep arguing for the sake of it but I'm done here bc there's nothing more that can be said

I have a lot of issues with Young off tape alone. His pocket presence and consistency is a major issue and I haven’t seen consistency in quick processing in the pocket.

I think he’s a good athlete but not the elite one he’s been billed to be, which if you’re that small is a major problem for me. He’s not Lamar or Vick athletic and a guy like Fields is a lot bigger and we’ve even seen guys like him and hurts, not to mention gigantic humans like Cam take a beating.

You are betting on Young being a major outlier and anytime you do that, the odds are against you. Perhaps he overcomes them, but short of a dude like Brees you almost have to go back to Tarkenton to find success.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1

I would not worry about Young in processing, accuracy or arm strength.  His build is the only risk.  For me that puts him below Stroud but YMMV.  He has played in a pro-style offense and against decent competition.   Like Stroud, the scheme he plays in gets receivers wide open.  Young makes throws with anticipation and  accuracy.  When under pressure, both make bad/ill-advised throws.