Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

If you don't provide a good enough supporting cast for a young QB, then you're probably fired in a couple years.

Hurts was in his first year starting in 2021 and while Brown is a top 3 WR at worst, Hurts made a ton of improvement in his own right.

Even Mahomes walked into a loaded roster with an offensive genius that allowed him to then grow into more of an onus of carrying a team after that. Hill, Kelce, great OL his first few years minus the Super Bowl loss.

14 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Is Levis the most universally hated 1st round prospect of the last few years? 

If Levis is drafted in the 2nd round ( he won't be) then there would be less "hate". Some team will throw the dice that he can develop.

Edited by jebrick

6 out of the top 9 teams in the NFL draft need a QB.  Really might have been foolish for so many guys to return to school and have that ridiculously loaded class in 2024.  Some of those guys could have been drafted this year, sure would not have been 1st round picks this year but are most likely not 1st round picks in 2024 either.  Guys like Levis and Richardson will benefit greatly, especially at the top.  They should not be taken that high but those teams at the top are so QB needed and the class is so thin and not deep at all, they will both go higher than they should.  

The guys below really should not be a drafted QB, but with the lack of depth in this class they absolutely could be considering the needs for so many teams even for developmental backup QBs.

Stetson Bennett Georgia RS
Sean Clifford Penn State RS
Aidan O'Connell Purdue
Clayton Tune Houston RS
Malik Cunningham Louisville RS

These guys should have declared honestly, all of them if not for sure at least four of them.  Sure Maybe Penix, Rattler or Nix could climb into the 1st round in 2024 but who knows.  Still Rattler, Penix and maybe Nix could have been 2nd round this 2023 draft.  I have Hooker and Hall in the 2nd just based on team needs and both should really not be drafted that high.

Spencer Rattler South Carolina RS
Bo Nix Oregon RS
Michael Penix Jr Washington RS JR
Cameron Rising Utah RS JR
Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina RS

17 teams need a QB potentially, sure Rodgers maybe or Carr could fill a spot but still there are a lot of openings so this 2023 class could sure use the depth the 2024 class has.

(*=Starting QB needed)

*Houston Texans (Starting QB)
Arizona Cardinals (Backup QB)
*Indianapolis Colts (Starting QB)
Seattle Seahawks (Starting or developmental QB)
Detroit Lions (Backup QB)
*LV Raiders (Starting or developmental QB)
*Atlanta Falcons (Starting QB)
*Carolina Panthers (Starting QB)
Philadelphia Eagles (Backup QB)
*New York Jets (Starting QB)
Green Bay Packers (Backup developmental QB)
*Washington Commanders (Starting QB)
*Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Starting QB)
Minnesota Vikings (Backup QB)
Buffalo Bills (Backup QB)
*New Orleans Saints (Starting QB)
Kansas City Chiefs (Backup QB)

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, he's one of the worst "first round" prospects in the last few years.

I'm not arguing he isn't. But I don't think I've ever seen someone who seems locked into the 1st with as many detractors as him. It's not only here either. He's hated as a prospect everywhere I've looked.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm not arguing he isn't. But I don't think I've ever seen someone who seems locked into the 1st with as many detractors as him. It's not only here either. He's hated as a prospect everywhere I've looked.

I think he should be.  I hate him more (as a prospect) than I did Jordan Love.  And I HATED Jordan Love.

I am sincerely baffled why he's even in the conversation.  His game against Tennessee is one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a QB, and he was probably the worst QB Tennessee faced this season.  And Tennessee played Ball State, UT Martin, and Akron this season.  The only contender for a worse QB was Vandy, who had the luck of playing Tennessee after the SC loss.

I know it's likely the worst game of his year, but even his best is meh.  And when your best is meh, and your worst is that, that does not make a first rounder.  That doesn't even make a second or third rounder.

And that's not even getting into sitting against Iowa, where he had a chance to really show that he can play against a good defense, in a bowl game.  From top prospects, I get sitting out, it's a smart decision, but not when you're auditioning to be the face of a franchise and the leader of a team.  I want to see some sort of fight in them, especially after such a disappointing season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think you have to go back to Blake Bortles to find some as universally hated.  Although Zach Wilson is up there.

Zach Wilson didn't get a fraction of this hate pre-draft.