Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

There were no big white QBs in the draft this year so they had to prop up Levis. End of story.

Not really. Tanner McKee is bigger and whiter and his draft stock isn't in the 1st round. This is a dumb take. Levis isn't a great prospect, but he's not some trash prospect either. He grades out with a 2nd round grade, which if you factor in positional importance, shoots him up into the top 10 discussion.

Would I take Levis ahead of Stroud or Young? Not in a million years. But would I assign an "F" grade to a team that selected him in the top 10? No. He has a shot to be a very good NFL QB in the mold of Jay Cutler.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Coming from a guy rocking a Herbert screen name and avy, this is quite the take my dude.

I absolutely hated Herbert coming out because I thought he was another guy hyped up purely because of size and arm talent (Kyle Boller, Jake Locker, Jamarcus Russell, Blake Bortles, Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, Ryan Leaf, etc.) and he's proven to not be that (along with Josh Allen). The few hits among the multitude of misses is an exception. Levis is going to be one of the many, many misses.

4 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

I absolutely hated Herbert coming out because I thought he was another guy hyped up purely because of size and arm talent (Kyle Boller, Jake Locker, Jamarcus Russell, Blake Bortles, Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, Ryan Leaf, etc.) and he's proven to not be that (along with Josh Allen). The few hits among the multitude of misses is an exception. Levis is going to be one of the many, many misses.

Oh I agree Levis sucks. Then again the Anthony Richardson hype machine is growing and he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. I think the hype machine has nothing to do with what you mentioned.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Oh I agree Levis sucks. Then again the Anthony Richardson hype machine is growing and he couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. I think the hype machine has nothing to do with what you mentioned.

Levis to Richardson is apples to oranges IMO. Both fit the suit and LOOK like they should be the guy. From a production stand point, they both were underwhelming, and on tape they're both frustrating. But Richardson is 2 years younger, played in the same conference, had a similarly poor supporting cast and coaching, and had much higher highs than Levis. Richardson put together some truly astounding plays that made you think, even if only for a second that he could be the number 1 pick. Levis' most impressive moment this year was all the analysts crying about how much better he'd look if he was on a better team. Richardson also didn't have to transfer after losing a QB battle to Sean Clifford.

10 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Levis to Richardson is apples to oranges IMO. Both fit the suit and LOOK like they should be the guy. From a production stand point, they both were underwhelming, and on tape they're both frustrating. But Richardson is 2 years younger, played in the same conference, had a similarly poor supporting cast and coaching, and had much higher highs than Levis. Richardson put together some truly astounding plays that made you think, even if only for a second that he could be the number 1 pick. Levis' most impressive moment this year was all the analysts crying about how much better he'd look if he was on a better team. Richardson also didn't have to transfer after losing a QB battle to Sean Clifford.

Will Levis was better as a Jr than Anthony Richardson was this season though. Richardson couldn't beat out Emory Jones to start at Florida. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Zach Wilson didn't get a fraction of this hate pre-draft.

Zach was also viewed as a non-prospect going into his junior season and elevated his stock enough to be a top 2 pick. Levis was viewed as a top 5 pick coming into the year but regressed. I think it's easier to hate on Levis because the film he put out this year was not very good, that's the last thing people saw before the draft process. The only other 2 QBs that i can think of that were drafted highly based on their sophomore/junior seasons after struggle in their final year are Josh Allen and Jordan Love.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Right, but what I'm SAYING is, you're talking about a guy who is hyped pre-draft because he's "a big white dude". Let's go back to 2011 and look at the #1 pick solely as a QB:

2011: Cam Newton

2012: Luck (2nd Overall was RGIII with that massive haul of picks via tradeup)

2015: Jameis Winston 

2016: Goff

2018: Mayfield (then Darnold, then Allen, then Rosen, then Lamar)

2019: Kyler Murray

2020: Burrow

2021: Lawrence

So, the reality is, of those who are QB's who have been selected, Cam, Jameis, Mayfield (not big at all), and Kyler all more or less disprove that, not even taking into account the massive draft haul for RGIII for the #2 pick. Throw in other dudes before that like Michael Vick and Jamarcus Russell, and I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here.

Luck, Burrow, and Lawrence were/are the consensus dudes and thus far look like they were worth taking there.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Will Levis was better as a Jr than Anthony Richardson was this season though. Richardson couldn't beat out Emory Jones to start at Florida. 

Is a raw sophomore prospect suppose to beat out a guy who has been in the program 2 years? I don't see the relevance here. 

Tom Brady couldn't beat out Brian Greise and had to split time with Drew Henson.... so what? 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Is a raw sophomore prospect suppose to beat out a guy who has been in the program 2 years? I don't see the relevance here. 

Tom Brady couldn't beat out Brian Greise and had to split time with Drew Henson.... so what? 

Brady is an outlier, and that's one reason he went in the 6th rather than being talked about as a top 10 pick as some do. Regardless Emory sucked and Richardson still couldn't do much to challenge him. He is still raw and underwhelming. 

Hope someone falls in love with him if it means a second trade back for Chocago though. 

On 3/1/2023 at 8:22 AM, Daniel said:

I mean, he's one of the worst "first round" prospects in the last few years.

Probably, but I definitely remember having most of my fights over Mahomes when he was predraft. I use to go nuts when someone said he was a 5th round prospect. Lol

Just now, Sugashane said:

Brady is an outlier, and that's one reason he went in the 6th rather than being talked about as a top 10 pick as some do. Regardless Emory sucked and Richardson still couldn't do much to challenge him. He is still raw and underwhelming. 

Hope someone falls in love with him if it means a second trade back for Chocago though. 

Obviously, but that was not the point. 

There are plenty of NFL starting QBs who didn't beat out a mediocre starter as a sophomore. Using that as a barometer for success/failure of a prospect seems misguided in my view. 

14 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Patrick Mahomes couldn’t even beat out Davis Webb for the starting job at Texas Tech. Mahomes only played because Webb got hurt. What a failure Mahomes was. Hell Webb even beat out Baker Mayfield a year prior forcing Mayfield to transfer to Oklahoma. College coaches always make the right call at picking the right starting QB. Like Virginia Tech with Hendon Hooker. Or Penn State with Will Levis.

• Like 2

Just now, big_palooka said:

Obviously, but that was not the point. 

There are plenty of NFL starting QBs who didn't beat out a mediocre starter as a sophomore. Using that as a barometer for success/failure of a prospect seems misguided in my view. 

Oh I agree it can't be THE barometer, it is just part of the data to include. Definitely part that should be brought up in the interview imo. 

• Like 1