Official 2023 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

If you say so 

Over the last three seasons he has 13,234 yards (4th most) / 108 TDs (3rd most) / 65.2% comp

That's a huge leap when you look at his numbers in college and first two seasons in the NFL.

I think one of the things that makes Richardson more interesting than some other big athletic QBs (Levis especially) with mediocre (may be giving him too much credit) production is that he's shown some real flashes of high level QB skills. By that I mean there are moments on tape where you see him adjust beautifully in the pocket, step up and throw a beautiful ball. While the athletic traits are definitely the biggest driver, you've at least seen those moments where he's doing real NFL things at a high level for a guy with his lack of experience. 

That being said, those moments were few and far between so the risk is definitely MASSIVE. I honestly don't think you've seen those high level moments from Levis - it's really just the big arm and size/athleticism. He also didn't look as natural throwing the ball as Richardson does. He has this weird cross body release that I think likely explains some of his accuracy issues. Obviously guys like Philip Rivers have shown that a weird release doesn't mean everything, but it does increase the room for error on every throw. 

To me, Richardson is much more of a project worth taking on. You have flashes showing he CAN do the little things needed to succeed in the NFL, he just hasn't done it consistently. In a way, his lack of experience is a bonus for him. Levis has had time to iron out these inconsistencies and hasn't been able to. Richardson is a ball of clay that hasn't even begun to be molded. I think you can also look at how much of a mess the Florida program was this year as a potential bonus. Look at Herbie - the Cristobal system (and his total disregard for the skill positions) at UO held him back immensely and when he got to the league with competent coaching/weapons he took off. Not saying I think Richardson will be the GOAT, just that I think he has more REALISTIC potential than other guys with a similar profile

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ScoDucks823 said:

I think one of the things that makes Richardson more interesting than some other big athletic QBs (Levis especially) with mediocre (may be giving him too much credit) production is that he's shown some real flashes of high level QB skills. By that I mean there are moments on tape where you see him adjust beautifully in the pocket, step up and throw a beautiful ball. While the athletic traits are definitely the biggest driver, you've at least seen those moments where he's doing real NFL things at a high level for a guy with his lack of experience. 

You don't think guys like Levis have some pop throws?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You don't think guys like Levis have some pop throws?

It's not the throws that I'm talking about, obviously he does. What I'm saying is that everyone once in a while you see Richardson move really well IN the pocket - stepping up in traffic to find space, adjusting his platform well - whereas I don't think you really see Levis do those little things. Richardson obviously doesn't do it consistently but I think he's shown the instincts (because he's operating purely instinctually at this point) much more effectively than Levis. I just have more faith that he can bring it all together than I do with Levis, who to me is exclusively an arm talent/size/athleticism guy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen so many people on twitter argue that you can easily fix a QB's accuracy issues because the Bills did it with Josh Allen.

Yup. When it works its amazing and when it doesn’t well it isn’t. These kids get put in such tough spots and these organizations have no idea how to help them grow into the player they think they can become. 

If Richardson didn’t show enough on film why would you even change your mind because he’s big, fast and can jump. Unless you’re changing his position. But no he’ll go top 10 and be deemed a bust because he won’t get the proper coaching AND he’ll be draft far too high and the expectations will be almost unreachable.

As a Raider fan, I wouldn't trade up for any of these QB's. However if one fell to 7 I'd be happy to see if it works out. Richardson's interviews have me liking the guy and being the Raiders are not a playoff team I'd be willing to let him sit or give him a few plays to learn the speed of the game. Stidham would be resigned as the starter and if Adams is on board (not traded) then getting more reps with Richardson would be good to build confidence and rapport. 

Young is the one I think I'd want to fall at 7 because of the 'it' factor and just expect to franchise him after 5th year option but don't sign long term unless he's been healthy for multiple seasons. We need to build a team and a great young QB would be cap friendly to do so. Once the little guy costs 50 million I'm washing my hands of him and would already have a 3rd/4th rounder backing him up after 3rd season. 

Stroud I also like overall and had thought it was the talent around him (which is immense) but I now believe he's the real deal. Honestly if I had the 1st pick in the draft I'd probably go with Stroud because he seems less risky that Young (size) or Richardson (raw) 

Levis would probably be a worse version of Carr so to pick him in the 1st would be staff really wasting resources being we just threw Carr away.

Best case for the Raiders would be to trade down if a QB is there and we're offered some extra value and especially if it's picks in 24. I'd trade right out of the 1st round and try to get high 24 picks or 2nd/3rds this year and build a team with 24 in mind. Because of that I'm not giving up picks to trade up for any of these guys and if no trade down, mimic Philly and build through the trenches. Broderick Jones would be my choice and start him on the right side. If Dawand Jones is there with our 2nd then double dip and get Haener in 4th round and hope the line doesn't fall on top of him. lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScoDucks823 said:

It's not the throws that I'm talking about, obviously he does. What I'm saying is that everyone once in a while you see Richardson move really well IN the pocket - stepping up in traffic to find space, adjusting his platform well - whereas I don't think you really see Levis do those little things. Richardson obviously doesn't do it consistently but I think he's shown the instincts (because he's operating purely instinctually at this point) much more effectively than Levis. I just have more faith that he can bring it all together than I do with Levis, who to me is exclusively an arm talent/size/athleticism guy

i don’t agree with this assessment of levis at all. levis ran a pro style offense and displayed as much ability to execute pre and post-snap reads as any QB in the draft class. what you’re talking about is pocket presence, which levis definitely lacks, but that doesn’t at all mean that he’s just an arm talent/size/athleticism guy. i don’t love him because i think pocket presence is a big deal and his accuracy has also been inconsistent, but i don’t think his floor is nearly as low as a lot of people seem to think it is.

• Like 1

The weirdest part of Hendon Hooker's offense is the weird stacking of WRs to get easy releases off the snap to hit deep shots right? Isn't that more a knock on Hyatt than Hooker? Like assuming NFL WRs are capable of beating press he still makes reads then hits his route? Are the progressions weird by stacking WRs like that or it's just the early intermediate stuff that's a little different?

edit: obviously snaps under center would be different I guess, but a lot of prospects are heavily out of shotgun it seems.

Edited by Trojan

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen so many people on twitter argue that you can easily fix a QB's accuracy issues because the Bills did it with Josh Allen.

Yeah and I have seen people say Baker should be elite despite his size because Drew Brees did it.

Edited by AkronsWitness

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

The weirdest part of Hendon Hooker's offense is the weird stacking of WRs to get easy releases off the snap to hit deep shots right? Isn't that more a knock on Hyatt than Hooker? Like assuming NFL WRs are capable of beating press he still makes reads then hits his route? Are the progressions weird by stacking WRs like that or it's just the early intermediate stuff that's a little different?

edit: obviously snaps under center would be different I guess, but a lot of prospects are heavily out of shotgun it seems.

IMHO, Tenn offense makes it hard to evaluate their players for the NFL.  For any college system that is not pro-style, you have to project and pick out small things rather than look at the whole.  For the most part, you can throw out stats for spread offenses in college.  Tenn is harder because of the super up-tempo of their offense.  WR get much cleaner releases.  Defense have almost no time to get set.

Can Hyatt go to a team that always schemes him a free release?  Sure but what if he does not.  Most of the WR coming from spread offenses need to learn release techniques.