General Talk

DoleINGout

I'm honestly surprised they couldn't get more for him given his reliability in the past. A late round pick swap is basically nothing. He is young, cheap and Vegas will probably end up using him as a starter if their OL is so bad.. so I'd have figured an in season trade would get you a 5th for a OT. 

It's notable though that BB never seems to want to fleece his buddies on trades.. he goes out of his way to give them good deals it seems. 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 3

Here is the reason why I wanted no part of George Pickens.  The only thing he cares about is himself and ESPN Top Ten. It's only a matter of time before he (mouth) goes off in Pittsburgh.

His catch just made his ego explode.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/steelers-george-pickens-frustrated-opportunities-targets/604427?fbclid=IwAR0Vl9ypb0sMkeV9TYiP2AoeOAwMy6w5_6qkoJRuwlW_UB78xtY-1Oegadc

• Like 1

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

Here is the reason why I wanted no part of George Pickens.  The only thing he cares about is himself and ESPN Top Ten. It's only a matter of time before he (mouth) goes off in Pittsburgh.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/steelers-george-pickens-frustrated-opportunities-targets/604427?fbclid=IwAR0Vl9ypb0sMkeV9TYiP2AoeOAwMy6w5_6qkoJRuwlW_UB78xtY-1Oegadc

Agreed, I honestly had 0 interest in him. I get the talent, but the last thing you need in this offense is an attitude like that... not to mention his injury history. 

As of right now.. none of the WR's I wanted have really popped. Thornton is apparently a good guy who is hard working, blazing fast and has good hands. As long as he doesn't get hurt I'm incredibly excited to see him on the field. 

On 9/24/2022 at 4:22 PM, m haynes said:

Quelle suprise - a Pittsburgh receiver with talent but also an ego the size of the Allegheny catchment area.

• Like 2

The next Troy Anderson lol @m haynes?

Shame that DL is going to end up getting neglected in the offseason / draft because they are going to need to invest 1-2 picks towards the LB position. 

Uche once again can't set the edge and won't get more than 10 snaps a game

Jennings has played maybe 10 snaps after looking like he was going to command a starting spot in training camp

Mack Wilson is a 3rd down only type of guy 

Tavai is a good backup at best 

Quay Walker would be looking really nice on this team right now. 

• Like 1

I know we've joked about him plenty in the past.. BUT 

signing Andy Isabella to the practice squad is a no brainer to me. He fits the new Mac offense very well and imagining his speed in the slot with Thornton on the outside would be incredibly fun to watch. 

Keep him on the practice squad the rest of the year and let him compete for the slot spot next year when Meyers leaves. He's a Umass guy, so I'm sure he would pick the Patriots practice squad over any other teams. He's a 4.31 guy.. keep running more Alabama style offense and put him in Waddle's role (4.37 guy). Obviously a poor mans Waddle but 100% worth a practice squad flyer. 

Edited by Crimmage

A play on word to Rush's song, Tom Sawyer!!! Stevenson song when he enters the game!!

Lyrics 

" Mondre "    warrior
Mean, mean stride
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride…

" Mondre "  replaces modern day.

Forgive me it's Monday!!!!  Waiting around for the furnace guy to complete Heat pump installation. 

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

The start of a brilliant career.

Kevin Harris added to the roster.  Goes off in his 1st NFL game. Ya baby!!! After the Browns game Pats have to keep him on the roster or he will be picked up by another team.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/patriots-sign-rookie-running-back-kevin-harris-to-active-roster-from-practice-squad/

This is all assuming his fumbling problems have been resolved. 

Elevating him makes me believe it's likely that Damien Harris goes on IR. Why bring Kevin to the 53 if you plan on waiving him in a couple weeks when Damien is back.. why not just elevate him at that point? 

I'm excited to see the future of the RB room ( Stevenson / Harris / Strong), I just hope the young guys don't fumble and get thrown in the doghouse

9 hours ago, Crimmage said:

his fumbling problems

I not worried about fumbles.  He had, I recall one fumble in the preseason. He did put it on the ground one other time but got it back.  

My only concern with him is injuries.

His history shows he's not a guy who fumbles.

"What will help him out tremendously is the fact he’s exactly what Bill Belichick looks for in a running back: he protects the football. In 358 carries at USC, Harris fumbled just once. Despite having a fumble back in a preseason game against the Raiders, Harris also scored a touchdown and looked strong out there."

https://www.on3.com/teams/south-carolina-gamecocks/news/video-kevin-harris-promoted-to-patriots-53-man-roster/

I would much rather see what we have with the rookies at RB. Let Strong and Harris gain some reps. Come next year they are going to need to be the tandem with Stevenson so might as well get them ready now. 

Bourne is also really good.. why would we want to trade him? He played over 50% of snaps last week, so it seems like they are pushing him back in the rotation. Once Mac is back, he will get receptions, Mac loves throwing to him. 

Also, he has 1 year left after this year.. so if Jacoby Meyers is gone, you can draft a guy for the slot and have him rotate with Bourne in the slot next year while he gets ready to take over. 

X - Parker

Slot - Bourne / Rookie 

Z - Thornton