Heinz Field to be renamed Acrisure Stadium

BobbyPhil1781

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Timing makes sense. The obvious connection with a condiment company just didn’t really exist once Roethlisberger retired. It was just a perfect fit.

Say what you will about the man, but he mustard up so many good explanations that the law could never quite ketchup to him for doing whatever he mayo to any girl he relished.

Florida 2022 - Robo coach

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It makes some sense though - for the sponsor, naming rights are a great way to get your company's name out there. Everyone knows Pontiac and Heinz already, so the value is less to them.

You're right. They should do it. I was just speaking from a gatekeeping jerk point of view. :) 

• Like 1

Of all the possible endorsers, they chose one that's not even in the the state of PA, has no ties to the city at all, and the name freaking sucks. This isn't a name thats gonna grow on ppl and in fact, I bet more than half the fans still refer to it as Heinz Field or Pittsburgh or Steelers Stadium or something because the new name is absolute trash.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Of all the possible endorsers, they chose one that's not even in the the state of PA, has no ties to the city at all, and the name freaking sucks. This isn't a name thats gonna grow on ppl and in fact, I bet more than half the fans still refer to it as Heinz Field or Pittsburgh or Steelers Stadium or something because the new name is absolute trash.

That is something I hadn't thought about. You're right in that Heinz at least has ties to the state of PA, like Levi's is from San Francisco. That's usually the best case scenario if a stadium gets a sponsorship. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That is something I hadn't thought about. You're right in that Heinz at least has ties to the state of PA, like Levi's is from San Francisco. That's usually the best case scenario if a stadium gets a sponsorship. 

a lot of people thought upmc was gonna get it, not this random insurance company from Mich

Edited by August4th

On 7/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Blackstar12 said:

Most people will still call it Heniz.  Similar to how most Lakers fans still call the stadium Staples Center.

I and a lot of fans still call the baseball field in Milwaukee Miller Park. 

Too bad the Steelers didn't do what the Packers did: have different entrance gates sponsored by different local corporations so we could still keep the name Lambeau Field.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:28 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That reminds me, even the older venues that did have naming rights were from brands that everyone knew. Like the RCA Dome, or the Pontiac Silverdome. Guessing most have no idea what Acrisure is. 

Wasn't it called the Pontiac Silverdome because it was in Pontiac, Michigan?

What do you think about the St Louis Cardinals being in Busch Stadium?  It is named after a guy, but also a business.

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Wasn't it called the Pontiac Silverdome because it was in Pontiac, Michigan?

What do you think about the St Louis Cardinals being in Busch Stadium?  It is named after a guy, but also a business.

Yeah, but Pontiac was a place in Michigan and the company is from the area too. That's all fine in my book. It's the same story with Busch Stadium in St. Louis, and Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. If it's going to be named after a person/company the best scenario IMO is a brand from the area the team is from.