Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

On 12/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, QBIso said:

I just want rid of our small guards that can’t defend. You can’t win in the NBA when neither of your guards can play a modicum of defense. Especially if you’re not an offensive juggernaut, which we will never be. 

Why not be an offensive juggernaut? I think Sexton is legit, way underrated nationally, and it isn't beyond imagination that Garland can be really electric too.  Would that tandem ever work against the NBA elites in a 7 game series? Probably not, but you can count real contenders in the NBA on one hand.  We probably are going to have to be decent-good before we can make the moves to be great, years from now.

They are liabilities on defense, but we had Love, Osman, and rookie KPJ logging tons of minutes last year too.  Pretty sure Drummond wasn't really trying at that end either. They might be passable if team defense isn't bad on every level.

We need to recalibrate our roster at 4 and 5.

Nance starting showed how we can mask a small backcourt with Okoro and Nance Jr manning 3-4 providing defence. We need a paint defender. Drummond has no interest in playing within a role so far. Hopefully that changes.

Its a shame Love is injury prone because he would be great in that stretch 5 role at this point in his career. Obviously needs to put on some weight. A strong defensive big who can play certain match ups is a need. 

I would love to trade and get a big like Dwight Powell or Maxi Kebler.

• Like 1

Pump the brakes guys! We still suck. We’re still gonna get run off the floor by average teams. Our defense is pathetic and without a roster gut, it always will be. It’s not just a want-to thing with these guys. It’s a talent thing. We lack foot speed and/or length/size where we are most deficient.

I don’t wanna trade for any veterans this year. We aren’t ready for that. Take our lumps this year, add another big piece via the draft, and make a trade next year. 

13 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Why not be an offensive juggernaut? I think Sexton is legit, way underrated nationally, and it isn't beyond imagination that Garland can be really electric too.  Would that tandem ever work against the NBA elites in a 7 game series? Probably not, but you can count real contenders in the NBA on one hand.  We probably are going to have to be decent-good before we can make the moves to be great, years from now.

They are liabilities on defense, but we had Love, Osman, and rookie KPJ logging tons of minutes last year too.  Pretty sure Drummond wasn't really trying at that end either. They might be passable if team defense isn't bad on every level.

Don't forget Okoro.

• FGK changed the title to Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck