Cavaliers Thread: We Somehow Both Don't and Do Suck

LETSGOBROWNIES

1 hour ago, Horseunit said:

My ideal Cavs targets.

Stay at 5 draft Darius Garland...  Let him and Sexton figure out how to play on the court at the same time.

Next, find a trade partner for J.R. Smith that allows us to receive a pick middle of the draft and select Romeo Langford.

Lastly, use pick 26 and future assets to trade up a few spots to select Goga Bitadze

Nobody is going to want JR Smith.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, Mind Character said:

My Final Final Cavs-Centric Prospect Draft Rankings:

Tier I:

1.) Goga Bitadze, C Rep. of Georgia

2.) Coby White, CG North Carolina

3.) Darius Garland, PG Vanderbilt

4.) Romeo Langford, SG Indiana

Tier II:

5.) DeAndre Hunter, SF/CF Virginia

6.) Jarrett Culver, SG Texas Tech

7.) Cam Reddish, SG/SF Duke

8.) Sekou Doumbouya, SF/CF France

9.) Nassir Little, SF North Carolina

10.) Kevin Porter Jr., SG USC

11.) Nicolas Claxton, PF/C Georgia

12.)  Luguentz Dort, CG Arizona State 

-----------------

Will be interesting to see what the pelicans do, trade or otherwise.

It's going to really suck  if we take Hunter or Culver or Reddish with no trade down at 5. Imo, now that would be a terrible gamble without maximizing value. Sexton and Coby White would make for an energetic and fun back court albeit with severe defensive deficiencies as well as limitations in shot creation for others.

I'm all in on Coby White, CG North Carolina, Goga Bitadze, C Rep. of Georgia, Darius Garland, PG Vanderbilt, and Romeo Langford, SG Indiana in that final order.

The draft can't get here soon enough.

Smith's contract is worth $15,680,000 but has a dead cap hit of $3,870,000, so a team can shed $11.8m instantly. Then say the team than trades, I dont know, the 20th pick. That contract is worth $1,549,500. a team could shed $13.3m.

There are currently 12 teams that are over the cap, with the Cavs being one of them. 4 teams with less than $10m in cap space. One of those teams is the Bucks.

Bucks could be an interesting trading partner. I might want to shed a player like snell. Create more positive cap space and load that team for a finals run next year

Edited by buno67

Let's face it: In this "get your big 3 (or more)" league we do not have a snowball's chance in hell of thinking about contending until we get or develop a big 1 to attract other "bigs".

Best to follow the Browns, for now, imho.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Let's face it: In this "get your big 3 (or more)" league we do not have a snowball's chance in hell of thinking about contending until we get or develop a big 1 to attract other "bigs".

Were not going to attracted anyone. We just need to suck for a few more years and hope we get lucky in the draft and draft correctly. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I mean...the Raptors have Kawhi and some solid dudes. They don’t have a big 3.

I do agree that we won’t be contending any time soon so we should be in major asset acquisition mode. I’d acquire future 1st rounders out the butt and then draft athletic defensive minded players like Nassir Little and/or DeAndre Hunter and hope they hit. At the very least we have a hard-nosed defensive team in the meantime. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

IMO that’s why the Cavs gotta swing for the fences for the guys with the highest potential. If they miss, well they land in the lottery. If they hit, they got themselves a player. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, bruceb said:

This is not a tanking league, everyone thinks it is but it isn't. The Cavs are the only team in NBA history who used a tanking strategy to propel to a title, and we might not ever even make the playoffs if the 2nd best player in history never signed in Free Agency. The second most successful tanking team ever was the Thunder who drafted 3 MVPs in 3 drafts and still never made it all the way. 3rd most successful is Philly and who knows, but not looking like its going to happen.

Just play it smart and organically build a team. Thats what Golden State did. Thats what Toronto did. Thats what Milwaukee did. Thats what Houston did. Thats what Boston did. Thats what Portland did. Thats what Denver did. I could keep going.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

This is not a tanking league, everyone thinks it is but it isn't. The Cavs are the only team in NBA history who used a tanking strategy to propel to a title, and we might not ever even make the playoffs if the 2nd best player in history never signed in Free Agency. The second most successful tanking team ever was the Thunder who drafted 3 MVPs in 3 drafts and still never made it all the way. 3rd most successful is Philly and who knows, but not looking like its going to happen.

Just play it smart and organically build a team. Thats what Golden State did. Thats what Toronto did. Thats what Milwaukee did. Thats what Houston did. Thats what Boston did. Thats what Portland did. Thats what Denver did. I could keep going.

Cavs utilized the tank twice very well. First time it landed them Lebron in the draft and then landed them Lebron in FA, then it allowed them to have the assets create a championship roster.

the model in the NBA is to accumulate assets so you can make a big time trade. Danny Ainge had that model perfectly laid out but the dude refused to trade draft picks and young talent to pick up star players.  

On 6/16/2019 at 10:30 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Were not going to attracted anyone. We just need to suck for a few more years and hope we get lucky in the draft and draft correctly. 

Maybe, but the Raptors just won the NBA Finals with 1 great player and a bunch of average/above average players who know their roles. They won with depth. Lowry, Vanvleet, Gasol, Ibaka, Green, Powell are all very solid guys who can each hurt you on any given night--but they are all far from guys the Cavs wouldnt be able to get in a similar situation. You could only need to potentially hit on 1 franchise type of guy and then you have to fill in and build the roster around that one person by making smart FA decisions and developing serviceable young talent, hence Altman preaching development this offseason

After this upcoming year the young guys will weed themselves out and we will know who is going to be in this for the long term. Cedi, Sexton, Clarkson, Nance, Nwaba, Zizic, 5th pick, 26th pick, ect will all have a good year this year 'proving' themselves. Once a few develop you can ship others off as trade pieces for solid veterans like Gasol, Ibaka or what the Nuggets did with Millsap to glue everything together.

Edited by AkronsWitness