49ers Training Camp 2022 Thread

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Thought Thomas was a lock...i guess not anymore? 

Seems like Lenoir has outplayed him this TC/Pre-Season. We also have some other young CB's like Qwantrezz Knight or Tariq Castro-Fields that could earn a spot on the 53 (or guaranteed to make the 53)

This seems more like a tactic to light a fire under him. There’s no way they cut that contract loose unless Thomas is a straight up cancer. I just can’t see them letting him go.

19 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing with Ambry is that I don't know who kicks him off. Have Knight and Castro-Fields played so well in camp and in the preseason games that they are going to push Ambry off the roster? That seems weird. I feel like if they had played that well, people would be making more noise about it. 

Knight provides position flexibility playing in the slot and at S, but I would think he would bump Dontae Johnson instead. This seems like a shot across the bow to Ambry to try and motivate him.

23 hours ago, John232 said:

what’s wild is i don’t think Banks was playing terribly, not up to his capital but i thought he could be serviceable.if Poe is the guy, it’s a huge find.

Personally, I'd like Poe to be a back-up, and he would come on the field as an eligible receiver, like Trent did last year, go in motion and just try to rail road defenders with a head start. The truly innovative thing about doing it with Trent last year, it's that 300+ pounders rarely have the kind of athleticism Trent Williams has, and having such a guy with a running start is extremely disruptive for a defense. Do that with Poe! 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Personally, I'd like Poe to be a back-up, and he would come on the field as an eligible receiver, like Trent did last year, go in motion and just try to rail road defenders with a head start. The truly innovative thing about doing it with Trent last year, it's that 300+ pounders rarely have the kind of athleticism Trent Williams has, and having such a guy with a running start is extremely disruptive for a defense. Do that with Poe! 

boom boom offense, I like it.

• Like 1

If we're keeping 9 O-linemen, Poe is absolutely one of them and Moore would be my 9th. I don't see how anyone else on the O-line deserves to be on the 53. Moore atleast looked good last pre-season at LT and is a supreme athlete.

Also, if we keep 9 linemen, I'm not sure we can keep 3 QBs. If we keep 3 QBs and 9 OL, that means we have 13 spots for the skill guys. Specifically, either we only keep 5 WRs or 3 TEs as I think 4 HBs are pretty much a lock.

If it comes down to Purdy, Turner, or Kroft for that 25th spot on the offense, who would it be? I think it might have to be either Turner or Kroft for me and just hope Purdy gets to the PS. 

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If we're keeping 9 O-linemen, Poe is absolutely one of them and Moore would be my 9th. I don't see how anyone else on the O-line deserves to be on the 53. Moore atleast looked good last pre-season at LT and is a supreme athlete.

Also, if we keep 9 linemen, I'm not sure we can keep 3 QBs. If we keep 3 QBs and 9 OL, that means we have 13 spots for the skill guys. Specifically, either we only keep 5 WRs or 3 TEs as I think 4 HBs are pretty much a lock.

If it comes down to Purdy, Turner, or Kroft for that 25th spot on the offense, who would it be? I think it might have to be either Turner or Kroft for me and just hope Purdy gets to the PS. 

This is the O-Line group that I had in my prediction in the other thread. I kept 3 QBs because I don't want to lose Purdy and I think this staff is high on Sudfeld maybe more-so for the counseling he can provide Lance. I think Turner and Kroft are easily replaceable pieces where Purdy could be a solid backup for this team for the duration of his rookie contract. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd love to keep 9 OL and just 2 QBs. That would be great. 

Same. That 25th spot on the offense would help boost the run game and special teams. A 3rd QB most likely won't see the field this year, and if does, the season has long been over. 

This is not to say that I don't like Purdy, I do, but that spot could be better used elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Same. That 25th spot on the offense would help boost the run game and special teams. A 3rd QB most likely won't see the field this year, and if does, the season has long been over. 

This is not to say that I don't like Purdy, I do, but that spot could be better used elsewhere. 

The thing is...and this is no knock on Purdy...but there's seriously a Purdy in the draft every year. Anyone claiming Purdy would also have to put him on the 53, a lot of teams won't even carry 3 QBs, so I can't imagine that a lot of teams are going to burn a roster spot on Purdy if we cut him. 

He may also prefer to sign on the practice squad with us given that next year he's likely all but assured to be the backup QB. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing is...and this is no knock on Purdy...but there's seriously a Purdy in the draft every year. Anyone claiming Purdy would also have to put him on the 53, a lot of teams won't even carry 3 QBs, so I can't imagine that a lot of teams are going to burn a roster spot on Purdy if we cut him. 

He may also prefer to sign on the practice squad with us given that next year he's likely all but assured to be the backup QB. 

Crocker was saying as much on Locked On 49ers a a day or two ago. I agree with that. Middlekauff took the opposite stance over the weekend. He said he thinks Shanny absolutely loves Purdy and will try to keep him on the 53. 

I was more inline with Middlekauff before Shanny said he's keeping 9 OL. I pivoted toward not keeping Purdy knowing that now.