Dolphins forfeit 2023 1st + 2024 3rd, Owner Stephen Ross suspended and fined $1.5M for tampering

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, FinSting said:

"Actually, the $100k was in reference for the $100k water tank used as home the team's dolphin mascot," said an unnamed team intern. 

Can we say with absolute certainty that Ross and Flores weren’t doing an online madden franchise together, and that’s what Ross was referring to?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Calvin Ridley bets on his team and is suspended a year because muh competitive integrity, but an owner actively running a tanking operation for years and gets a partial season suspension?

This stupid *** league.

This suspension has to do with the Brady and Sean Payton tampering which was undercovered due to the Flores lawsuit. There is still no evidence of tanking to my knowledge. 

Brady/Payton to Miami was basically a sure thing except 1) Bruce Arians didn’t wanna trade Brady and 2) Flores lawsuit causing too much drama

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Well, the NFL asserts there is. It’s just, Ross was kidding.

And the thing is, they can’t prove he wasn’t kidding. 

Also, tanking happens in every single sport and is a legitimate strategy to enhancing your team. The two problems here is the financial incentive and being too open about the tanking. 

I feel like the only reason Brady is getting a pass on this is because it’s his final season and the only reason Sean is getting a pass is because he’s retired. This wasn’t a one sided tampering, Payton and Brady were actively involved and all scheming together. 

With that said, I personally don’t care, and think tampering is kind of a dumb rule to begin with. 

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They…don’t have to? 

Forgetting when Brady was “probably generally aware” of the deflated balls? This isn’t a criminal court proceeding.

Hell, even if it was, if you’re caught soliciting, it’s not an affirmative defense that “you can’t prove I wasn’t joking”. 

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Also, tanking happens in every single sport and is a legitimate strategy to enhancing your team. The two problems here is the financial incentive and being too open about the tanking. 

You're right, they can't prove it. They just have the word of Ross. A very trustworthy man obviously. I mean, what owner doesn't joke with his coach about purposely losing games for lots of money?

• Like 1

This is such a bizarre ruling.

They nailed an owner. Is this to set up changing the Watson verdict and undermine Robinson's ruling?

They said the crime was UNPRECEDENTED and then only gave him a 1.5 million dollar fine and 6 game suspension. Is this to support Robinson's ruling?

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I feel like the only reason Brady is getting a pass on this is because it’s his final season and the only reason Sean is getting a pass is because he’s retired. This wasn’t a one sided tampering, Payton and Brady were actively involved and all scheming together. 

With that said, I personally don’t care, and think tampering is kind of a dumb rule to begin with. 

Has there ever been a player to get punished for tampering? 

7 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

Has there ever been a player to get punished for tampering? 

Brady wouldn't be punished for tampering because he didn't tamper, he was tampered with. Same with Payton.

If Brady had initiated contact with Ross and discussed how he would get out of his current contracts, who else he wanted the Dolphins to sign, etc., that would be tampering and he could be punished for it (unless the NFL randomly decides that he was joking - I wish that was exaggerated).

36 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Brady wouldn't be punished for tampering because he didn't tamper, he was tampered with. Same with Payton.

If Brady had initiated contact with Ross and discussed how he would get out of his current contracts, who else he wanted the Dolphins to sign, etc., that would be tampering and he could be punished for it (unless the NFL randomly decides that he was joking - I wish that was exaggerated).

So has there ever been a player punished for tampering? I'm genuinely wondering. I can't find anything on it. 

'Oh we were just joking' 😂