Dolphins forfeit 2023 1st + 2024 3rd, Owner Stephen Ross suspended and fined $1.5M for tampering

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

So has there ever been a player punished for tampering? I'm genuinely wondering. I can't find anything on it. 

'Oh we were just joking' 😂

I don't know, but if the NBA is a guide the bar is way, way higher for players. Like technically, LeBron James shouldn't be tweeting about how good young players are and how they're on the way up, because it could be implied that he's trying to pressure them to not sign an extension. But he does that every night and the league won't punish him, and you could honestly go both ways on that, he doesn't seem to be sincerely recruiting players so much as he can't handle the playoffs not being about him.

But for executives, the bar is way lower and it's enforced at the other team's discretion which also makes it tougher to find where the line is. Like back in the day the Jets went after the Pats for tampering with Darelle Revis, but that was more about sour grapes with Mangini, Spygate, etc. more than about what actually happened.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't know, but if the NBA is a guide the bar is way, way higher for players. Like technically, LeBron James shouldn't be tweeting about how good young players are and how they're on the way up, because it could be implied that he's trying to pressure them to not sign an extension. But he does that every night and the league won't punish him, and you could honestly go both ways on that, he doesn't seem to be sincerely recruiting players so much as he can't handle the playoffs not being about him.

But for executives, the bar is way lower and it's enforced at the other team's discretion which also makes it tougher to find where the line is. Like back in the day the Jets went after the Pats for tampering with Darelle Revis, but that was more about sour grapes with Mangini, Spygate, etc. more than about what actually happened.

The “I was just joking” wink didn’t work for Magic Johnson a few years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The “I was just joking” wink didn’t work for Magic Johnson a few years ago.

Yeah because it never should unless he literally said after, "I'm just joking" and even then the league should punish him so it's clear they don't have a sense of humor about that stuff. 

Also IIRC Pelicans were super pissed because half the league was trying to get Anthony Davis on the cheap, and there was this whole thing where the Pelicans thought Davis was pressuring them to let him play so that the increased injury risk would drop his price, so the offended team was motivated to go scorched earth.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Calvin Ridley bets on his team and is suspended a year because muh competitive integrity, but an owner actively running a tanking operation for years and gets a partial season suspension?

This stupid *** league.

Ross is one of the boys.

11 hours ago, SkippyX said:

This is such a bizarre ruling.

They nailed an owner. Is this to set up changing the Watson verdict and undermine Robinson's ruling?

They said the crime was UNPRECEDENTED and then only gave him a 1.5 million dollar fine and 6 game suspension. Is this to support Robinson's ruling?

I said it in that thread but like….how do you punish an owner fairly? $50million fine? 3 year suspension? I just don’t know how you personally hurt someone worth billions who likely doesn’t have to do much day to day to run the team. 

Maybe do no revenue sharing for the owner for ‘X’ games. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

NFL shoulda just come down hard and demanded a Tua extension. As good faith that they won’t tamper with any quarterbacks in the near future of course.

BOY, TUA BOUTTO GO OFF THIS YEAR JUST WAIT

Spoiler

said no one ever

12 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

Has there ever been a player to get punished for tampering? 

In the NFL I don't think it applies to players who are tampered with. Whether it is viewed as heavy handed or slap on the wrist, the fault lies with Miami in this case. I believe most NFL teams engage in it, but this was pretty blatant. I think this is more about the NFL sending a message, "we know you do this and if you are this dumb in the way you go about it, be prepared to face the consequences." Kind of like how players manage to still get suspended for drugs, when there is only one drug test a season.  

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I said it in that thread but like….how do you punish an owner fairly? $50million fine? 3 year suspension? I just don’t know how you personally hurt someone worth billions who likely doesn’t have to do much day to day to run the team. 

Maybe do no revenue sharing for the owner for ‘X’ games. 

Maybe Snyder does not share his ticket revenue with the Dolphins? Too soon?