What is you favorite / or most hated football colloquialism?

brownie man

On 8/9/2022 at 4:28 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

It's 'Champing' at the bit, anyway

I was about to say the same thing.  It took me like 35 years or so to learn that.  I legitimately did not know.  I think I was in my 20s before I knew that it was "intents and purposes," and not "intensive purposes."  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Nagy had a saying "Be You"

I always wished they just chose to be good football players/coaches rather than settling for that though.

I did love that Poles called Lucas Patrick 'a prick' when they signed him. Bears OL has been way too soft since Long went downhill. If you can't be really good, at least be really mean. (IDK if Patrick really fits the bill either tbh)

I always thought he was a pretty nice dude.  What he can do is play a pretty good guard or center, so you can play to the overall OL unit's strength.

• Like 1

Didn't see it posted but the biggest one for me is: "Joe Schmoe has been battling all week against his toe injury". Pretty sure that's not a battle, might suck but far from battle. 

HM: don't care for when so-and-so player needs to get "healthy" after a hammy pull or something. Just seems like someone getting healthy is a sickness type issue 🤷

• Like 1

The overuse by every broadcaster to refer to all CBs that make a good play as [Last Name] Island. That was Revis' nickname and does not apply to every single CB in the league that plays well for a game. Its not an adjective, its a players nickname.

While we are on the subject of hijacking nicknames...... I will also say the countless DBs who say 'No Fly Zone' while describing their secondary or use it as a taunt to WRs. That was the 2015 Broncos defenses nickname, its not a timeshare that everyone gets to use. Ive heard 10+ post game interviews where the player getting interviews says "its a No Fly Zone against us man' and it makes me cringe every single time.

Quit jacking nicknames

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 8/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, Daniel said:

Arm talent

It’s just arm strength. Just say arm strength. When it’s not just arm strength, no one uses it to mean the same thing.

This has always been my biggest draft pet peeve. The idea of arm talent, to my mind, is pretty simple. Its the whole package of strength, velocity, accuracy, ball placement, ability to change speeds, ability to throw off platform, on the run etc.... But in the significant majority of people's minds, even in the draft community and actual NFL decision makers, its merely a synonym for arm strength.

18 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

“Off ball linebacker”

they’re back from the line as a linebacker. Off ball is a redundancy 

See here's one I'll disagree with 

TJ Watt is an on-line linebacker. In the 34 the OLBs do often play on the line of scrimmage. TJ Watt, Von Miller, Shaq Barrett all these guys on right on the line of scrimmage. In this clip you'll see his hand is literally on the LOS. So he's literally an On-Ball linebacker. His responsibilities are different. He has to set the edge, his coverage assignments will be different, etc. 

857AC078_0B0F_4CE1_9FE6_7D5F4C3CAD68.gif

As opposed to lets say Fred Warner who is an Off-Ball linebacker. He's 5 -7 yards behind the LOS and has totally different responsibilities. This clip is crazy btw. Players like Warner and Leonard have to have crazy range like in this clip. 

GregariousFlawedGuillemot_size_restricte

Not many teams run the 34 right now, but I it's still relevant enough that the designation absolutely holds weight. TJ Watt is a clear example of how on-ball is still a valid way of describing a linebacker. 

Edited by brownie man

33 minutes ago, brownie man said:

See here's one I'll disagree with 

TJ Watt is an on-line linebacker. In the 34 the OLBs do often play on the line of scrimmage. TJ Watt, Von Miller, Shaq Barrett all these guys on right on the line of scrimmage. In this clip you'll see his hand is literally on the LOS. So he's literally an On-Ball linebacker. His responsibilities are different. He has to set the edge, his coverage assignments will be different, etc. 

857AC078_0B0F_4CE1_9FE6_7D5F4C3CAD68.gif

As opposed to lets say Fred Warner who is an Off-Ball linebacker. He's 5 -7 yards behind the LOS and has totally different responsibilities. This clip is crazy btw. Players like Warner and Leonard have to have crazy range like in this clip. 

GregariousFlawedGuillemot_size_restricte

Not many teams run the 34 right now, but I it's still relevant enough that the designation absolutely holds weight. TJ Watt is a clear example of how on-ball is still a valid way of describing a linebacker. 

I disagree. If you play on the Line of scrimmage you’re not a linebacker. That’s why it’s called a linebacker because you’re back from the line.

TJ Watt is a defensive end or an edge who sometimes stands up. But he’s not a linebacker if he’s on the line. It’s in the name.

i get what you’re saying it just needs a different name. “On-ball linebacker” is an oxymoron and “off-ball linebacker” is a redundant phrasing 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

TJ Watt is a defensive end or an edge who sometimes stands up. But he’s not a linebacker if he’s on the line. It’s in the name.

i get what you’re saying it just needs a different name. “On-ball linebacker” is an oxymoron and “off-ball linebacker” is a redundant phrasing 

I mean if you wanna give it a different name than yeah I guess, but if you look at their official depth chart he's labeled at linebacker. If you wanna rename a position I think there could be an argument for it. But I mean part of what makes him so dangerous is the fact he doesn't have to have his hand in the ground either. He can play off ball and go right into coverage. It's got some cheesy music in the video, but especially the first pick he's nowehere near the line of scrimmage. He's way off ball. 

screen-shot-2022-08-05-at-51231-pm.webp

8 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I disagree. If you play on the Line of scrimmage you’re not a linebacker. That’s why it’s called a linebacker because you’re back from the line.

Yeah I get what you’re saying here 

When some people do linebacker rankings you almost have to do “a” and “b” rankings for those that pass rush and those that are…off ball. Does feel a bit clumbsy

to me, they’re two different positions. Edge and linebacker 

On 8/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I dont like this take strictly because that it makes sense to me, and now I don't know how to refer to what I deemed offball LBs.

Box backers? Overgeneralize them as MIKE backers? Or I could just go back to high school since we had the Will, Mike, and Sam backers then had the Joker who was the rush backer. LBs and EDGEs can work too.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:52 PM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Man, wait until you hear about fullbacks.

• Like 4