1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

Just now, HokieHigh said:

its fine, but i think the question is about whether or not to guarantee 2024 for ~20 million.

basically need a guarantee from rodgers to play in 2024 to trade love for a chance to be all in for 2024. or a guarantee from rodgers to retire and you roll the dice with love at 20 million. 

as long as aaron rodgers plays top 5 qb ball again this year, jordan love's future is his decision. 

also if love plays well in 2024 and has free agency leverage, he will be in position to get way overpaid... good for him - not for packers

58 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

kirk cousins is the worst problem to have

There's worse. Ironically, two of my favorite purgatory QBs are Matt Ryan and Hasselbeck and they've at least made it further and one had a damn good shot.

Then again Brad and Dilfer so who knows.

My 'karma fear' stops me from hating on NFC North QBs though. 

On 8/22/2022 at 12:44 PM, incognito_man said:

I would much rather hold onto Slayton somehow than any of the not-top-5 WRs.

Unfortunately, I held that belief up until I re-watched him through the Saints game, which deflated my hype balloon quite a bit.  Not a bad player, but I regret to say I don't see anything there that really jumps.  He plays hard to the whistle, which is a legitimate plus for a big because 300+ pounds don't carry themselves.  Other than that though, I'd be hard pressed to come up with another significant positive.   Gets held up a lot in the pass rush, doesn't split doubles well, he's got quick feet but not the rest of the game to really exploit that aspect.  Guys like him are the hardest part about grading preseason from a glance; he's experienced enough that he can make splash plays against fringe roster guys and young players who are still learning the speed of the pro game, but once the starters come out he loses that edge and the carriage turns full pumpkin. 

I'm being a little too harsh, because he does have some talent: it isn't exactly small potatoes to say he's quick for 300+ and he plays hard and good body control.  That's the base of a damn good DL.  But there's just too much missing to make me hold more than a DL6 roster spot which is hard to fight for on a squad this loaded.  He plays with decent leverage at times, but doesn't show the ability to do anything with it.  Hands aren't heavy enough to move them off the spot so he can't make a crease to use that quickness.  Needs to learn to either get his hands and feet synced up and drive his man's weight past him or over the outside shoulder, or get low enough with enough power to be able to forklift em back.  He gets them back a step or two and then stalls out; if he does try for the gap at this point it's usually too slow and the OL has time to wash him down or at least disrupt the rush.  Doesn't show the ability to drop his anchor and split the double, but I'll give him that he's quick to follow his man if he pulls and when there's no one in front of him he really does have some legitimate burst.  If he wasn't already 26 maybe you take a longer look, see if Kenny can help explain the finer points of manipulating the OL's weight against em.  But he's not taking a single snap from Wyatt, and you already have Lowry as first man off the bench; hard to keep a spot for a journeyman who won't play and isn't going to be a ST stud.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Unfortunately, I held that belief up until I re-watched him through the Saints game, which deflated my hype balloon quite a bit.  Not a bad player, but I regret to say I don't see anything there that really jumps.  He plays hard to the whistle, which is a legitimate plus for a big because 300+ pounds don't carry themselves.  Other than that though, I'd be hard pressed to come up with another significant positive.   Gets held up a lot in the pass rush, doesn't split doubles well, he's got quick feet but not the rest of the game to really exploit that aspect.  Guys like him are the hardest part about grading preseason from a glance; he's experienced enough that he can make splash plays against fringe roster guys and young players who are still learning the speed of the pro game, but once the starters come out he loses that edge and the carriage turns full pumpkin. 

I'm being a little too harsh, because he does have some talent: it isn't exactly small potatoes to say he's quick for 300+ and he plays hard and good body control.  That's the base of a damn good DL.  But there's just too much missing to make me hold more than a DL6 roster spot which is hard to fight for on a squad this loaded.  He plays with decent leverage at times, but doesn't show the ability to do anything with it.  Hands aren't heavy enough to move them off the spot so he can't make a crease to use that quickness.  Needs to learn to either get his hands and feet synced up and drive his man's weight past him or over the outside shoulder, or get low enough with enough power to be able to forklift em back.  He gets them back a step or two and then stalls out; if he does try for the gap at this point it's usually too slow and the OL has time to wash him down or at least disrupt the rush.  Doesn't show the ability to drop his anchor and split the double, but I'll give him that he's quick to follow his man if he pulls and when there's no one in front of him he really does have some legitimate burst.  If he wasn't already 26 maybe you take a longer look, see if Kenny can help explain the finer points of manipulating the OL's weight against em.  But he's not taking a single snap from Wyatt, and you already have Lowry as first man off the bench; hard to keep a spot for a journeyman who won't play and isn't going to be a ST stud.

I forgot he was old already, had it in my head he was a rookie for some reason.

45 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I've listened to 20 hours of dorks yammer on with podcasts the last 3 weeks and never heard nothing this in depth or articulate, yet those guys have jobs in football media and Bob out here just posting on message boards 6x a week.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

FWIW

There is some good analysis in here.  Three things stand out to me that are correctable.

A.  His read and decision making is still a tick slow and ends up allowing the separation created by the wide receiver close.  This lowers the probability of a completion.

B.  His footwork is still a work in progress (but quicker reads and decisions would help this as his feet are late to get into the right throwing position).

C.  He still is falling off to one side on some of his throws.

If these all get corrected over time, his accuracy should improve along with his completion percentage but its impossible to say how much it will improve.  Even with improvement, accuracy may always be a concern for Love throughout his career.

However, he definitely made big strides this offseason and is starting to demonstrate the ability to make big time throws that he showed in college.  He has another whole year to get coached up and keep improving and become the player the Packers think he could become when they drafted him.  I'm starting to think the whole thing comes together for him this year and we may see what we saw in Rodgers later this year if he plays in the last few games of the season.  

On 8/20/2022 at 1:38 PM, StatKing said:

Jordan Love isn't the only QB that has to deal with drops. Its year 3 for him, at this point I don't want excuses, I want results. He's a first round pick, the guy shouldn't be struggling against fringe roster players.

He just isn't very consistent. He'll have one or two drives a game that look great then struggle to hit wide open guys for the next 3 drives.

He definitely needs to catch the ball better for his receivers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Didn't watch this one yet but dude seems like a fan. Even the KC game with all the pressure he was like, okay I can see it. But he seems like kind a Bright sider too. IDK. 

1. How the **** are you going to talk about that first play and not bring up Amari wide open on the cross?

Also, where the **** do you want that ball to be? It literally hit him in the facemask. 

2. Amari on the pick. PS Patrick Taylor is a damn competent blocker. 

3. That's . . . Nit picky. He's got the timing down on that throw. 

4. I think saying the DB isn't going to make the tackle is presumptive. Either way, that miss was a drive killer.

5. That's really accurate lol

6. I guess. It was 3rd and 19, it was a throw away hoping for a PI

7. Beautiful ball.

8. I actually didn't love that throw. A little too close to the DB.

9. Really confused how the primary issue their is the throw to the covered #2 on a 4 yard in on 3rd and 8, and not passing up the 9 with the single coverage over the top. But okay.

10. I think he was reading the other ILB to see if he was a robber, and then when he had to take his eyes off it to corral the snap, he panic checked down. 

11. Clearly going for the back shoulder. Not sure I agree the crosser is a first down, the safety was waiting on it. 

12. He got his feet right on that. He threw it anticipating the receiver had one fewer step before the break. 1 step shorter and one more to the left, that's a perfect ball. 

13. Love the ball, not sure I like the decision. That crosser is an easy first down.

14. I'm not sure this was a bad throw and not that he thought Amari want going to run the route a bit stepper. 

15. Of all the throws you're concerned about, that's the one you're reluctant to criticize????

• Like 3

16 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

There is some good analysis in here.  Three things stand out to me that are correctable.

A.  His read and decision making is still a tick slow and ends up allowing the separation created by the wide receiver close.  This lowers the probability of a completion.

B.  His footwork is still a work in progress (but quicker reads and decisions would help this as his feet are late to get into the right throwing position).

C.  He still is falling off to one side on some of his throws.

Agree on all three points.  Footwork and body alignment is inconsistent.  And yes, the read-and-decision is sometimes slow; guys were variably open, but by the time the ball arrives the separation has closed.  

Is "staring-down-targets" also something of an issue at this stage?  Alex touched on this, missing on some decision-making.  Seems like sometimes the target is kinda pre-determined, even if short of the 1st-down line; when other targets that would actually get 1st downs are more wide open but get ignored?