2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Makes sense. I'd bet the same way. Mayer will check more boxes. I'll leave it as Mayer has that high ceiling/decent high floor (like a B- to B+ range), whereas I think Kincaid is in that C to A range. 

It always scares me to take “Vegas” up on any kind of bet they’ve made the odds on, because I assume they know a lot more than I do. 

But I’d actually wager that Kincaid comes off first. I think they’ll be pretty close together, but for my money, I think Kincaid projects as a better receiver. Which is the overwhelming reason why we’re drafting TEs in the 1st round. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd say a DE is DEFINITELY coming in the draft somewhere. Probably early. 

Wow.  I can't believe the decision making.  Guys like Toney become expendable and that could be a career.  Williams, after the injury, now loses leverage, might have to wait through the 5th year and risk more injury to get a contract. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite pick/player matches is Byron Young (TEN) at 97. Undersized player for a 4-3 DE, but the guy is an absolute box of dynamite when it comes to explosion and burst. I do wish he wasn’t already 25, because he’s still very inconsistent. But man, the toolbox is overflowing.

Seems like they’ve always preferred bigger, longer, heavier edge players, but I don’t really agree with them on that. I think there’s a place in the modern game for a souped-up pure pass-rush type. Especially with a defensive staff that continues experimenting with a “5-man DL” (don’t call it a 3-4). You might have to protect him in the run game some, but is that a bigger problem than having a whole roster of DEs who can’t really threaten the QB consistently?

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

It always scares me to take “Vegas” up on any kind of bet they’ve made the odds on, because I assume they know a lot more than I do. 

But I’d actually wager that Kincaid comes off first. I think they’ll be pretty close together, but for my money, I think Kincaid projects as a better receiver. Which is the overwhelming reason why we’re drafting TEs in the 1st round. 

My feeling is that Mayer will be a lot like Gronk while Kincaid has the opportunity to develop into the better route running type TE/better receiving TE overall like Travis Kelce or baby version of Kelce while Mayer lives us to the baby Gronk moniker. They probably won’t reach Hall of Fame status like those 2 but they’ll be lesser but similar versions of those 2.

54 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Wow.  I can't believe the decision making.  Guys like Toney become expendable and that could be a career.  Williams, after the injury, now loses leverage, might have to wait through the 5th year and risk more injury to get a contract. 

I mean yeah, when the Falcons got rid of Calvin Ridley, their #1 WR you definitely have to think Shaka will be cut.

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

https://www.mytwintiers.com/sports/nittany-nation/former-nittany-lion-shaka-toney-suspended-for-gambling-violation-report/

Former Nittany Lion Shaka Toney suspended for gambling violation: report

Washington Commanders defensive end Shaka Toney also received an indefinite ban. We may be drafting a DE at some point in the up coming draft.

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

• Like 1