2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

Can Derius Davis Be the Renaissance at Returner for the Commanders?

https://www.hogshaven.com/2023/2/13/23596672/can-derius-davis-be-the-renaissance-at-returner-for-the-commanders-nfl-draft-profiles

Player Overview

While excelling at football, Derius Davis tore it up on the track in high school. He was the Louisiana state champion for the 200m and 400m races. Although he played cornerback - the third best in his state - and wide receiver in high school, Davis made an immediate impact for the Horned Frogs in the return game. His first game, he returned a punt 73 yards for a touchdown. He’d finish his career with six total returns for touchdowns, five of them punt returns. Each season, he improved as a receiving option with a career best in receptions, yards, and receiving touchdowns this season. 

Strengths

• Speed; his 40 time is reported to range from the high 4.2s to low 4.3s
  • Despite size, has a knack for breaking away from contact
  • Finds holes downfield in defenses
  • Tracks deep throws well and has reliable hands

Weaknesses

• He is small and that could affect his utility on offense
  • Route-running needs improvement
  • More straight-line speed than sudden or quick in his movements

How he fits on the Commanders

The Commanders’ franchise has a proud history of returners, but has struggled finding a long-term player for that role in recent years. Dax Milne has been very good at securing the punt, but provides very little otherwise as a returner. Davis should be the opposite, giving the Commanders a chance to hit a home run whenever he gets the ball. The question for Davis is how much can he contribute to the offense. He has displayed a decent skillset, but will need to improve his route-running to be a consistent contributor at receiver.”

Edited by turtle28

More and more as I listen and read analysis of the draft the name I’m hearing as the best OL/OT for us or anyone in the 1st round is Darnell Wright. They said it doesn’t matter that he plays RT since he’ll be against equally tough DE’s as the LT. Curious if he’s there at 16 will they select him. 

• Like 2

Watching some middle of the night TE cut-ups, as I’m sure we all do. Two observations that I find interesting.

One, it’s kinda crazy that Utah had another TE who was at least equal priority to Kincaid in their offense until getting hurt (Brant Kuithe). He’s very undersized, but he actually had more production than Kincaid in 2021 and they were about neck and neck in 2022. Watching the Florida game, he was easily 1A and Kincaid was 1B in that particular game plan. Not sure what, if anything, that tells us about Kincaid. 

Two, I hate saying this, but I think Mayer’s run blocking is overrated. He’s not bad or anything, but I think anyone trying to sell him as a really good or great run blocker is reaching a little bit. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, e16bball said:

Watching some middle of the night TE cut-ups, as I’m sure we all do. Two observations that I find interesting.

One, it’s kinda crazy that Utah had another TE who was at least equal priority to Kincaid in their offense until getting hurt (Brant Kuithe). He’s very undersized, but he actually had more production than Kincaid in 2021 and they were about neck and neck in 2022. Watching the Florida game, he was easily 1A and Kincaid was 1B in that particular game plan. Not sure what, if anything, that tells us about Kincaid. 

Two, I hate saying this, but I think Mayer’s run blocking is overrated. He’s not bad or anything, but I think anyone trying to sell him as a really good or great run blocker is reaching a little bit. 

Yeah, I think it's become pretty clear that Kincaid will be the first TE off the board in the mid 1st - maybe to the Pakcers, us, or the Lions - and is a poor man's Kelce. Mayer is more a late first. I think the more scouts have dissected Mayer he's slipped a bit or at least not risen. He's pretty entrenched in the late 1st.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

More and more as I listen and read analysis of the draft the name I’m hearing as the best OL/OT for us or anyone in the 1st round is Darnell Wright. They said it doesn’t matter that he plays RT since he’ll be against equally tough DE’s as the LT. Curious if he’s there at 16 will they select him. 

At first when people brought him up months ago, I was like who? He’d been mocked as a late 2nd or early 3rd.

Then, I watched him shut down Ryan Anderson & I knew he’d rise. Anderson said he was the best OT he faced.

So, if Wright is the pick & Wylie moves to RG or vice versa, I’ll be happy.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I 100 percent believe they’d run that card in he put it together last season. I would be worried about that slightly but he is a RT. Not RG or LT he’s a right. And as you said teams line their premier up against RT’s these days more than ever. He’s a great selection IMO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Yeah so that's pretty interesting. I'd gather the following names could be of interest to us: 

CB Julius Brents, CB Tyrique Stevenson, CB Darius Rush, CB Jakorian Bennett, CB Riley Moss, CB Kyu Blu Kelly

Edge Darrick Hall, Edge Yaya Diaby , Edge Will McDonald IV, Edge Keion White, Edge Ade Ade

OT Tyler Steen , OT Matthew Bergeron, RT Darnell Wright, OT Blake Freeland, OT Jaelyn Duncan, RT Dawand Jones

IOL O'Cyrus Torrence, IOL Steve Avila, IOL Cody Mauch

QB Hendon Hooker, QB Clayton Tune, QB Max Duggan, QB Jaren Hall, QB Malik Cunningham

LB DeMarvion Overshown, LB Ivan Pace, Jr

RB Tyjae Spears, RB Chase Brown, RB Roschon Johnson

TE Luke Musgrave

That's a lot of second round range guys that it'll be hard for me to believe that our second rounder won't come from these group of guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Yeah so that's pretty interesting. I'd gather the following names could be of interest to us: 

CB Julius Brents, CB Tyrique Stevenson, CB Darius Rush, CB Jakorian Bennett, CB Riley Moss, CB Kyu Blu Kelly

Edge Darrick Hall, Edge Yaya Diaby , Edge Will McDonald IV, Edge Keion White, Edge Ade Ade

OT Tyler Steen , OT Matthew Bergeron, RT Darnell Wright, OT Blake Freeland, OT Jaelyn Duncan, RT Dawand Jones

IOL O'Cyrus Torrence, IOL Steve Avila, IOL Cody Mauch

QB Hendon Hooker, QB Clayton Tune, QB Max Duggan, QB Jaren Hall, QB Malik Cunningham

LB DeMarvion Overshown, LB Ivan Pace, Jr

RB Tyjae Spears, RB Chase Brown, RB Roschon Johnson

TE Luke Musgrave

That's a lot of second round range guys that it'll be hard for me to believe that our second rounder won't come from these group of guys. 

2nd, 3rd & 4th rounders. I’d also add that Wright & Torrence are in there so possibly they’re our 1st round pick.

Thanks for making this, good list.

Also can’t forget that Kincaid probably would’ve played in the Senior Bowl but he had his back injury so he didn’t. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I think it's become pretty clear that Kincaid will be the first TE off the board in the mid 1st - maybe to the Pakcers, us, Lions of us - and is a poor man's Kelce. Mayer is more a late first. I think the more scouts have dissected Mayer he's slipped a bit or at least not risen. He's pretty entrenched in the late 1st.

Vegas still has it the other way around so we will see. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:59 PM, taylor made said:

I think if they take Deonte Banks in the first then it'd be worthwhile to take Jakorian Bennett in the 4th or 5th just because of the synergy. Just like taking Terry McLaurin when we took Dwayne. 

After watching the NFL combine again yes Bennett was the guy I was talking about. bennett and barnes had high scores at the combine. With that type of score he looks like a 3rd or at least a 4th rounder. 

• Like 2

Matt Miller delivered a 7-round mock today — God bless him for the effort in putting all that together, but it’s not what I would consider an excellent outcome for the Commandos. 

16. CB Joey Porter, Penn State

47. EDGE BJ Ojulari, LSU

97. OT Jaelyn Duncan, Maryland

118. RB Israel Abanikanda, Pitt

150. WR Parker Washington, Penn State

193. TE Will Mallory, Da U

215. CB Jay Ward, LSU

233. DT Dante Stills, West Virginia

To me, it sort of brings home two points. First, taking a CB at 16 just doesn’t seem to be an optimal strategy. He passed on Darnell Wright to take Porter — don’t think they would do this in real life — and I just don’t like how it plays out. Is Porter better than Forbes and Banks and Ringo and Branch and DJ Turner, all of whom go between 24 and 32? Maybe…but I don’t feel close to 100% on that. The much smarter play would be to move back into that range if we’re so in love with taking a CB high. 

The problem with hitting CB first is that the depth on the OL in this draft is really bad, in my opinion. Plus, given our roster construction, I would much rather add an “impact” OL and a “depth” CB than vice versa. If we’re going OL, let’s hit it early. 

Second, while #47 looks great to me, #97 is just not looking like a sweet spot to me, one week out. I’d be looking (hard) to move down from 16 and up from 97.

Overall, aside from the concern with the top pick (and my frustration about our picks’ position), I actually like a lot of the picks he made. If you’re going to wait on offense until the draft is almost 100 picks old, coming away with Jaelyn Duncan, Abanikanda, Parker Washington, and Will Mallory is actually a good bit of talent to add given the low picks used. And I’m a big fan of BJ Ojulari. He whipped Broderick Jones pretty damn good when they faced off.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1