2023 draft prospects and college football talk.

ripsean21

42 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Matt Miller is the craziest come up I've ever seen. From a dude who did horrible position rankings on bleacher report and claiming to never watch college football to a draft expert. Just insane lol

Yeah he's my least favorite besides Walter. 

• Like 1

Some tidbits from anonymous coaches:

On Alabama’s Jahmyr Gibbs: “I think he’s gonna be special if he gets in the right system. His stop and start, man, it’s like he’s got a supercharger in there. I don’t think any linebacker can cover him. He is not as physical as you’d like, but he’s not soft either. The down part will be pass protection.”

On UCLA’s Zach Charbonnet. “He got 4.1 yards after contact per carry (of his 7.0 yard per carry average). Runs really hard. Determined. He’s really smart, probably the smartest of this group.”

On UAB’s DeWayne McBride: “He just has what it takes. Has the right mentality. Probably the most physical runner in this class. Him or Charbonnet. He averaged 4.7 yards AFTER contact. You do worry about the fumbles with him, and they didn’t really ask him to run routes.”

On Tulane’s Tyjae Spears. “He’s my sleeper. Love his mentality. He runs the ball like you want. Probably created more missed tackles in one on ones than anybody. Every big game they had, he stepped up. Good route runner.”

On Kansas State’s Deuce Vaughn: “He’s very small but I think he’s gonna help a team. Just gotta use him the right away.”

On Utah’s Dalton Kincaid

WR coach 2: “His ball skills are special. I think he’s special. He went to the right place. Utah does some great things with their tight ends with route structure and the concepts they’re doing. It makes for a cleaner eval. Great natural athlete. He’s loose; (he) makes plays over either shoulder (and) gets on top of people with his speed. Got some of that type of slippery route-running ability.”

On Georgia’s Darnell Washington

WR coach 1: “He’s different. Those other (tight ends) are off-the-ball/mix guys. He’s a true Y. He can be another tackle. He’s a little stiffer, but he’s such a big guy and he can really move. They (Georgia) didn’t have to use him much in the passing game because of 19 (Brock Bowers). I think they’d tell you that they left some meat on bone with what they could’ve done with him as a receiver.”

Both at the NFL Combine and since, The Athletic has heard from several NFL coaches who say they’ve noticed a difference in the development of the draft prospects in regard to physical and emotional maturity. Some pointed to the impact of the transfer portal as a reason for it.

“These guys are really raw,” said one offensive line coach. “(I) think that shows in the quality of play and the type of guys we’re getting. These guys are young. This year, there was a lot of no response, or ‘Hey, hit my agent,’ when we reached out to speak to the linemen. That was surprising. It’s like something you hear about with the wide receivers, but that kind of attitude is eeking its way into the O-line group.”

The offensive line coach I spoke with did not think this was a strong group.

On Tennessee’s Darnell Wright

“I like that dude as a right tackle.  He’s got some s— to him. Of all the guys he plays with, the most s— to him. He’s unpolished and rough around the edges. Plays nasty, finishes blocks. Technically, he will need work but in terms of size power and being able to move and get a hat on a hat, I like that guy.”

On Florida’s O’Cyrus Torrence

“Powerful. Big hands. Got a bad body, like an awful body. I think he’s a fit with more of a gap scheme and running duo. If you run outside zone like the Shanahan tree of coaches, I don’t know if he fits. He’s kinda sluggish with his feet, but he’s powerful, and when he gets on his hands on guys, really powerful. I think it’d be a stretch if he goes in the first.”

• Like 2

Hard not to like the look of Jartavius (Quan) Martin as an option for this defense. A wide array of skills, both supporting the run and hawking the ball, and a crazy explosive (if presumably pretty tight) physical profile.

Think he’s probably risen out of range for pick 97, though. Don’t think I’d bite on a hybrid (slot/Buffalo nickel) type defender at 47 unless it’s Brian Branch. 

On 4/23/2023 at 12:01 AM, ARTMONK HOF said:

More and more as I listen and read analysis of the draft the name I’m hearing as the best OL/OT for us or anyone in the 1st round is Darnell Wright. They said it doesn’t matter that he plays RT since he’ll be against equally tough DE’s as the LT. Curious if he’s there at 16 will they select him. 

I like Jones, Witherspoon and Johnson at 16. If they are gone then I'm looking at Porter/ Barnes. In a trade down I would take Barnes later in the first rd and that even depends. Like I said in an earlier post he (Barnes) is growing on me big time. I think Wright and Torrence would be okay in a trade down also. To me Harrison would even be my choice in a trade down in the 2nd rd.  Wright is not worth a pick at 16 but Jones and Johnson are better picks at 16. That's all I'm saying. Everybody has their preference and I think Wright is a later 1st rd pic. Now the kid Duncan and Avila has some good skills also. There are few other OL I like in the mid rds also if we don't take a OL in the first or 2nd rd. 

Edited by 4209

Tried not to draft the same person twice. I think this shows I like offense a lot early more...

Washington Commanders

16 Darnell Wright OT | Tennessee

47 Dalton Kincaid TE | Utah

97 Tyjae Spears RB | Tulane

118 Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB | TCU

150 Ivan Pace Jr. LB | Cincinnati

193 Viliami Fehoko EDGE | San Jose State

215 Clayton Tune QB | Houston

233 Anthony Bradford IOL | LSU

This is a good one. A future RT for us, a TE that I think will be Top 5 in the league, a great change of pace back to replace Gibson, and then good defensive depth. 

----------------------------------------

16 Bijan Robinson RB | Texas

47 Cody Mauch IOL | North Dakota State

97 Tucker Kraft TE | South Dakota State

118 Byron Young (TN) EDGE | Tennessee

150 Olusegun Oluwatimi IOL | Michigan 

193 Terell Smith CB | Minnesota

215 SirVocea Dennis LB | Pittsburgh

233 Grant DuBose WR | Charlotte

Tried to do something to hit the Bijan crowd. I don't love this draft, but it was how the cookie crumbled.

-------------------------------------------------

16 Michael Mayer TE | Notre Dame

47 Steve Avila IOL | TCU

97 Tyrique Stevenson CB | Miami (FL)

118 YaYa Diaby EDGE | Louisville

150 Kenny McIntosh RB | Georgia

193 Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR | West Virginia

215 Stetson Bennett IV QB | Georgia

233 Cam Jones LB | Indiana

---------------------------------------

MMQB: NFL Insiders Feel Commanders May Trade Picks to Target Caleb Williams in 2024

TIMOTHY RAPPAPRIL 24, 2023

The Washington Commanders have a major need at quarterback but currently aren't scheduled to make a selection until the No. 16 pick in the first round, so if they want to get in the mix for one of the top options in this year's draft they'll probably have to trade up the board.

But the more likely outcome might be the Commanders moving back to accumulate more draft assets for 2024, namely with USC's Caleb Williams in mind.

As The MMQB's Albert Breer reported on Monday: "I, and most teams, would be very surprised if the Commanders took a quarterback, to the point where some have speculated the team could move capital into 2024 to ready for a run then at D.C.-area native Williams. (You probably have to be the worst team in the league to get him, because whoever that team is probably won't trade his rights away.)"

In other words, Washington fans might want to brace themselves for a season of Sam Howell, Jacoby Brissett and Jake Fromm at quarterback.

But hey, if that approach ultimately ends with Washington securing the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, sacrificing a season might be worth it. Williams, 21, threw for 4,537 yards, 42 touchdowns and just five interceptions in 2022, completing 66.6 percent of his passes.

The issue is that the Commanders likely won't be alone in desiring Williams:

If Sam Howell don’t work out, sounds great to me!

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Washington Commanders

16 Darnell Wright OT | Tennessee

47 Dalton Kincaid TE | Utah

97 Tyjae Spears RB | Tulane

118 Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB | TCU

150 Ivan Pace Jr. LB | Cincinnati

193 Viliami Fehoko EDGE | San Jose State

215 Clayton Tune QB | Houston

233 Anthony Bradford IOL | LSU

This is a good one. A future RT for us, a TE that I think will be Top 5 in the league, a great change of pace back to replace Gibson, and then good defensive depth. 

Sign me up for this one. If you’re staying put at 16, I think Wright + TE/CB/EDGE/Campbell is about as well as you’re going to do. Can’t imagine Kincaid being there at 47, but LaPorta or Washington might be. Either would be cool with me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Sign me up for this one. If you’re staying put at 16, I think Wright + TE/CB/EDGE/Campbell is about as well as you’re going to do. Can’t imagine Kincaid being there at 47, but LaPorta or Washington might be. Either would be cool with me.

I agree. Someone good falls all the time though, so let's keep our fingers crossed. 

50 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

MMQB: NFL Insiders Feel Commanders May Trade Picks to Target Caleb Williams in 2024

I love the “long-term lens” aspect of this plan, but the post itself really seems to hit the main point:

51 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

(You probably have to be the worst team in the league to get him, because whoever that team is probably won't trade his rights away.)"

Unless the #1 pick goes to someone like the Cardinals (maybe?) or one of the teams who takes a QB in the 1st on Thursday (maybe?), it sure seems like the pick to take Caleb Williams might be one of those that just doesn’t even have a price tag. A guy you want badly but can’t pry loose from the team that lands the top pick. Like Luck or Burrow were for us, in years past. 

That said, if Drake Maye manages to duplicate his success at UNC (now without even Josh Downs), there’s a pretty exciting consolation prize out there. Trading up for the second-best guy behind the generational prospect seems like a can’t miss plan…

• Like 2

On 4/23/2023 at 9:46 AM, ripsean21 said:

I 100 percent believe they’d run that card in he put it together last season. I would be worried about that slightly but he is a RT. Not RG or LT he’s a right. And as you said teams line their premier up against RT’s these days more than ever. He’s a great selection IMO

Why don’t you think Wright could play RG?

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Usually the first pick ends up going to a team you wouldn’t expect so I’ll say the Packers get it next year after Jordan Love is terrible and then go on another 15 year run if elite QB play lol

Yep & whoever gets the #1 pick they aren’t trading it. Now Drake Maye? Maybe we’ll have a shot at him if the Texans, Colts or Panthers end up with the #2 pick & they want to trade it bc they already would’ve drafted a top young QB in this draft.